X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Cutting Blades

For the sake of keeping up because it's been about four years since I have had to snake roots out of a lateral. Have things changed in the past four years and are there any New blades that you pros would recommend?

Re: Root Cutting Blades

dan, the spiral root saw seems to be the most aggressive root cutting blade i have.

also running it in reverse will actually cause it to grab and catch the root ball if the blades are already loaded or the roots are just passing by.

never had any problem running the machine in reverse.

did a nasty 6'' lateral today at a bar with a proven track record with the k-60/ 7/8'' cable with innercore front 15' and 3.5'' spiral saw through a 4'' c/o. the nasty roots were at 29-30' with the city saddle at 58'. pulled back roots from the cutter and the cable windings.

the owner is already prepped for the dreaded day when he has to pay the piper

he's been quoted $50,000 as the line is very deep and on a very busy commercial street. plannig on doing a root treatment in 6 weeks.

feel like doing a marketing documentary with some rootx. would be nice to see the power of rootx. job is in beautiful santa monica 4 blocks from the beach. might be time for a field trip

you have my #

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Root Cutting Blades Want to buy some rootx

Rick, Is this where I go to buy My Rootx ? I'm guessing some other folks need some also
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: Root Cutting Blades Want to buy some rootx

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Rick, Is this where I go to buy My Rootx ? I'm guessing some other folks need some also
        they do sell direct by the case. to get a deal you need to buy multiple cases.

check with other resellers to buy in lower quantities.

there is a shelf life as the product becomes a little harder to mix.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick! I thought the K-60 was typically for a 4" line how does it perform on a six?

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
            Thanks Rick! I thought the K-60 was typically for a 4" line how does it perform on a six?
            the hollow core 7/8 c-10 cable was designed for 4'' and smaller.

the inner core 7/8 c-10ic is good for 6''.

99% of our sewers are 4'' up to the property line and increase to 6'' from property line to the city saddle. we are still responsible for the sewer to the saddle connection. digging up the street or alley is on the owners dime

the innercore adds a stiffness to the otherwise flexible cable. still the same wire gauge, just a stiffer cable to prevent any chance of turning around or looping.

rick.

p.s on saturday, i cleared a 4'' root stoppage from a 1.5'' clean out with my 7/8'' cable and reverse auger. pulling back roots.

this is the third time at this house and each time i get 27 months from it. the owner thought that was too soon

i said that's 4 times better than most roots. spring and fall.

the problem is under his footing of the house in a cracked cast 4'' line 27' in from the 1.5'' c/o.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I heard something interesting last week I spoke with a guy if I remember right he said that he was from the Fresno area. Anyways the city had told him if he installed a clean out right before the sidewalk then the city would take responsibility for any repairs necessary. I have never heard of that. I know that some counties will say that you’re responsible up to a side walk or up to the street and some say as you said to where it connects to the main. My question is: have you ever heard of anything like that?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                p.s on saturday, i cleared a 4'' root stoppage from a 1.5'' clean out with my 7/8'' cable and reverse auger. pulling back roots.
                rick.
                Rick, you've mentioned this before and I still think it's reckless to attempt to clear a root stoppage from a 1-1/2" cleanout. I would be afraid of catching a fish larger than 2"

Comment

Rick, have you considered using a linning process for the people with the roots in the footing, we have started doing some linnings with the NU Flow technology, have had great success and seals off any cracks or broken lines.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Rick, you've mentioned this before and I still think it's reckless to attempt to clear a root stoppage from a 1-1/2" cleanout. I would be afraid of catching a fish larger than 2"
                    It works if your setup options are limited.

I've never gotten stuck pulling back roots like this.

The problem is I don't usually know there are roots in the line before I put the cable in.

Seems like I've had more trouble pulling out a ball of wet wipes or a towel than roots this way.

2 cents.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                      I heard something interesting last week I spoke with a guy if I remember right he said that he was from the Fresno area. Anyways the city had told him if he installed a clean out right before the sidewalk then the city would take responsibility for any repairs necessary. I have never heard of that. I know that some counties will say that you’re responsible up to a side walk or up to the street and some say as you said to where it connects to the main. My question is: have you ever heard of anything like that?
                      Va Beach is similar. The city has C/O at every house right next to the street and anything from the C/O downstream is the city's responsibility. It doesnt matter if the problem is phsyically past the C/O. If the city runs their jetter and doesn't hit anything, than it's the H/O responsibilty.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        dan, the spiral root saw seems to be the most aggressive root cutting blade i have.

also running it in reverse will actually cause it to grab and catch the root ball if the blades are already loaded or the roots are just passing by.

never had any problem running the machine in reverse.

did a nasty 6'' lateral today at a bar with a proven track record with the k-60/ 7/8'' cable with innercore front 15' and 3.5'' spiral saw through a 4'' c/o. the nasty roots were at 29-30' with the city saddle at 58'. pulled back roots from the cutter and the cable windings.

the owner is already prepped for the dreaded day when he has to pay the piper

he's been quoted $50,000 as the line is very deep and on a very busy commercial street. plannig on doing a root treatment in 6 weeks.

feel like doing a marketing documentary with some rootx. would be nice to see the power of rootx. job is in beautiful santa monica 4 blocks from the beach. might be time for a field trip

you have my #

rick.
                        Rick, do you jet the line clean with your jetter? Cut the roots with a Warthog or RootRanger? Then give a chemical treatment? If not, why?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Rick, do you jet the line clean with your jetter? Cut the roots with a Warthog or RootRanger? Then give a chemical treatment? If not, why?

Thanks.

J.C.
                          i've done it in the past with my trailer jetter. the biggest problem is trying to park the truck and trailer in front of the building as it's a very busy touristy commercial street. finding 2 spots back to back is next to impossible. i did it 2 times and stopped. i can usually get by 1 time a year with snaking.

the bar opens at 9pm. and unless i get there first thing in the morning, there is no parking. also running hoses are a hazzard with the sidewalk crowd. snaking i can park anywhere and walk the machine in.

i'm sch. to go back and camera the line. it's been 5 years since i camered it. the owner is checking with the property owner to try to get them to help with the cost of repairs.

sometime this week i'll be back

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            bill, the roots are not the giant ones i normally fish for. the outside 4'' c/o is a 1 way and it's clean. the problem is the roots have found a crack and with the high speed of the sectional, they get grabbed and torn off. the 1.5'' is the first 11' or so. it's been pretty easy the couple times on this job. running water also helps to flush away your cuttings.

i'll post some photos i took saturday of it. too late now to do

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                            X