X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooter-man franchise!!!

i am seriously considering on purchasing a Rooterman franchise..i have the $8,000 saved up but want to use it wisely. What are the pro's and con's for this Will it make my phone ring more? Can i charge the going rate with them. I now charge about 300 to hydrojet a line with a cleanout..the going rate here is about 500.....the main thing /reason i want the franchise is that i want my phone to ring more and be more acceptable for commercial businesses etc to use me. im doing good now..but i want to be better and make more money...also i am considering on purchasing a Nu-Flow trenchless system. i think now the set up is going for $15,000......most guys around here are charging 100 per fot so it should pay for itself on about two jobs. wat do you guys think?

Re: Rooter-man franchise!!!

If I remember right, you've only been in business for yourself 1 or 2 years now right?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

If you need help with marketing and such, then go for it. But I (and many of us) chose to do it WITHOUT a franchise. You can succeed without franchise support, but you'll need solid business plans, marketing strategies, etc.

As far as charging more? You should be charging more now! Why should being a franchise matter? If you want to charge $500 to jet then do it! Changing your name won't help with your pricing.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Why Rooter man? why not another franchise?

The name is not known here in Tucson so It would not give you any advantage here. Maybe that is different in Dallas.

Why not take the money and invest in advertising in your area?
        You have all the tools and knowledge after 20 years so that is of no use to you. The only thing you get is a slick name and look seems like you can do that for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by lonestardrain View Post
          i am seriously considering on purchasing a Rooterman franchise..i have the $8,000 saved up but want to use it wisely. What are the pro's and con's for this Will it make my phone ring more? Can i charge the going rate with them. I now charge about 300 to hydrojet a line with a cleanout..the going rate here is about 500.....the main thing /reason i want the franchise is that i want my phone to ring more and be more acceptable for commercial businesses etc to use me. im doing good now..but i want to be better and make more money...also i am considering on purchasing a Nu-Flow trenchless system. i think now the set up is going for $15,000......most guys around here are charging 100 per fot so it should pay for itself on about two jobs. wat do you guys think?
          Hey Lonestar. I would find as many people who own the franchise and ask them. I don't know how many of us own franchises. It also seems most people here are anti franchise buisness practices. As for me I would want to hear from a few people who own them not the people that compete against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            If you need help with marketing and such, then go for it. But I (and many of us) chose to do it WITHOUT a franchise. You can succeed without franchise support, but you'll need solid business plans, marketing strategies, etc.

As far as charging more? You should be charging more now! Why should being a franchise matter? If you want to charge $500 to jet then do it! Changing your name won't help with your pricing.
            I agree.

Why not take half the franchise fee and promote yourself? There are MANY negative experiences associated with nationwide franchises. I'm sure there are some positive ones but I think they are in a much smaller % from what I read and hear.

Who do you want to be associated with?

You know your area better than anyone. I have no experience running trenchless systems. Rick owns one and is inclined to discourage people from pursuing it. Might be good advice....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by lonestardrain View Post
              I guess we would need to know what the benefits and the limitations of the franchise are before we could contribute.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

$8000 buy in, what is their monthly franchise fee?

I cant imagine giving up 5%-10%? of what I make now to a franchise.

Of course I'm spending 10% of gross on advertising now, but it's going to promote my name and I can adjust my ad budget lower if I want too.

You'll kind of be stuck with that franchise fee and you'll be making a name for the franchise, not for yourself if you decide to get out of the franchise later.

What exactly does the buy in, and monthly franchise fee cover?

Or am I confused on how it works??? I've never looked into it myself.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Lonestar,
                  Are you in dallas proper, or one of the outlying areas, fort worth, plano, frisco. Dallas and the surrounding areas are a huge market, I think with a little advertising you could probably get your phone to ring more.

Franchises are great for putting systems in place, i.e. Sales, marketing/advertising, customer service, business strategies.

You have to decide what type of person you are.
                  Are you a great plumber with great customer relations skills who ownes your business?
                  Are you a business man who owns a plumbing company?

Effective advertising and marketing are not easy things to figure out, I personally am not very good at them, my brother in law handles all of are advertising and is fantastic at it.

A franchise will have all of the advertising systems in place and ready, all you have to do is use them.

Comment

I went on to their web site to look around. I would sure hate to own the Rooter-man franchise in Chatforth as it is located in Chatsworth. That seems like a sloppy mistake for what should be a big franchise organizer. They do not talk about large national advertising campaigns but how you could advertise yourself. It looks like they also make you sign a non disclosure just to see what they have to offer which is often a bad sign. I would be more than a little concerned that it appears their big marketing of their franchise sales appears to be eBay.

Mark

Comment

It looks like they have won a bunch of top honors at selling franchises. Here is a little snippet on franchises from Contractors Magazine:

http://contractormag.com/management/buying_system/

Mark

Comment

When I advertise I never trust just what I like it is what my customers like to see. I hand a out of town phone book one I am not listed in to somebody and ask them to pick out a company to do the work. And why what do they like about the add that made them chose that company.It is almost never a franchise unless it is late night or Sunday or holiday. Most times when they see a franchise name they know, they think over priced, They will pay it if they think no other company might be open. But if they have a sink drain clogged they will take one that says they do sink drains. Also they think all franchise company's are run by the same person and if they here one thing bad about one they think there all bad.

Comment

ive been in business since 2002..they charge $150 a month for the area, they dont charge Royalties..alot ot Rooterman companies double-brand themselves using their current company AND the Rooterman Company...im trying to get more commercial work with restaurants,apartments,prop mang companies,realtors and home inspection guys.......it seems like i do most of my jetting,camering and water/gas leak detection for OTHER PLUMBERS, contractors and wat-not all from WORD-OF-MOUTH which is good and pays the best. I will do more research and call some owners out of state. Maybe i need to do a direct mail campaign to just Plumbers and General Contractors because thats who call me the most anyway with NO advertising to them..just word of mouth.

Comment

I would go out and talk to the people you think you you want to work for. It is probably the best way to drum up business.

Comment

I recently spoke with a man that his son had just purchased a Rooter-Man and the family was going to help him get started.

The crazy thing is, is that the son is 18 and still in high school. The kids dad has been in the business for something like 30yrs and has his own company.

What I don't get is why not set himself up to take over the family business???????

Anyways my experience with Rooter-Man's have been good I work with allot of them and never really had a bad experience. However I am with HerbertDrainCare paying for a name is not something I would want to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X