X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funniest way HO'S try to open their drain

One time I got called to open a drain the HO couldn't get open. The house was out in the country and when I pulled up the home owner led me to a ditch where the end of the pipe came out. The first thing I noticed was shotgun shells laying all over the ground, I asked if he likes to hunt but he told me that the shells came from trying to open the drain. He told me that when the drain would clog he would just stick the shotgun barrel up the pipe and pull the trigger and it would open, but this time it didn't work. I looked up the plastic pipe and seen several BB'S imbedded in the pipe wall. I run the 1500 up the line and pulled out the stoppage, it turned out to be a large amount of shotgun BB'S all stuck together. I must admit on some drains I prefer dynamite my self but I guess one has to make do with what one has. I had one customer pour kerosene down the drain and light it to burn up the roots but the firemen who came to put out the fire told him to call us.It was not too bad to get the roots out! It was all the melted stuff that got washed down the drain from the fire hose that was hard.

Re: Funniest way HO'S try to open their drain

I did some work at a cement factory and they would use and 8 guage shotgun to clean out some of the pipes where the cement was blown through and would stick. It was a special shell made just for this, did not have shot in it but was more like a slug.

G3

Comment

Sounds like a fun way to open a drain.

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
        Sounds like a fun way to open a drain.

Yeah,
        To he11 with the k-60, I'm grabbing the 12 gauge
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Folks back on the Cape use to fire a 22 down the well casing to clear a sand point screen.
          No not Me, I heard this often. My friend worked in an ALL. foundry in Mo. When ingots wouldn't release,they fired 357s at the metal pan bottoms out back. Gotta love " The good ole Boys "
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

had a customer use a hydro bag on a kitchen sink c/o.

his daughter came in from outside telling her dad it was raining

he was lucky as there were no other lines connected to it prior to the stoppage.

had another customer call me 4 days after they poured acid into their tub stoppage.

after i cleared the stoppage. he had a raw cast iron scum line in his tub

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I went out to a job in Palos Verdes 20-years ago and found the plumber before me (not the HO) used acid in a tub drain and there was no porcelain left in the tub just cast iron.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Folks back on the Cape use to fire a 22 down the well casing to clear a sand point screen.
                No not Me, I heard this often. My friend worked in an ALL. foundry in Mo. When ingots wouldn't release,they fired 357s at the metal pan bottoms out back. Gotta love " The good ole Boys "
                They used to use an 8 Gage slug for that. I guess opening drains has dried up the supply

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
                  They used to use an 8 Gage slug for that. I guess opening drains has dried up the supply
                  I meant to open the door not the screen.

Comment

I had a homeowner today try to unstick their garbage disposal with a broom handle.... He broke the mounting flange and bent the bottom of the cheap-o stainless steel sink, His wife said he was standing on the counter beating on the broomstick with a hammer

Comment

Great thread. I can't think of anything I've seen quite as bad as some of the above stories. Its amazing what crazy things people will try just to avoid calling a professional service.
                      Homeowners: Please put the shotgun, the acid, and the blowbag away; and call a professional drain-cleaner when you have a stoppage.
                      Last edited by Service Guy; 04-10-2009, 07:51 PM.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I had a customer try to snake his sewer out with an electricians fish tape. he asked me where does the drill connect to?

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                          I had a customer try to snake his sewer out with an electricians fish tape. he asked me where does the drill connect to?
                          I have had that too HO'S calling me up wanting me to give them step by step how to get their drain open because they didn't want to call anyone. I got a call today to go out Monday and get a 1/2" cable out of a down spout that the HO was using to get the roots out. He also said he broke a stick off in there, I wonder if a new 12 Ga. would be tax deductible as a drain cleaner? seem like a lot of folks use them for that, and I think it would be just the thing to get that stuff he put down there out.

Comment

we don't shoot drains around here. at least as far as i know. we do shoot wells. if all you have is a sand problem, works fine. if your screen is plugged with mineral deposits, it doesn't. now it will unplug the screen, that part is true. it does partly because the screen gets holes in it. this lets every thing that used to be on the other side of screen in the well. we now are pumping water with grit in it. adios pump. kind of running your car without an air filter. pay me now or really pay me later. the bullet is not supposed to hit the screen. the shock of it hitting the water does the trick. use a .22 if you are going to do it. if a .22 will not work, do it again. i have a bud i used to drink beer with, i would not shoot his well. so, he shoots it. with a .357 with hot loads. he ruptured the well at the first coupling. well then sucked air. old 1 1/2" well. you get a new one, as in 5". with submersible pump. try $5000. they also make acid pellets to dump in the well to clean the screen. i would avoid them also. i would only do this on my own home if the only other choice was a new $5000. well. then put a filter on the discharge side of pump. you can buy a lot of pumps for $5000. breid

Comment

I cleared a toilet stoppage last week where the homeowner had tried to use dishwashing soap. I said no way! where did you hear that?. She showed me 2 full Google pages on her laptop.

Dozens of comments from others that said it worked great. Just pour 3/4 cup of dishwashing soap in the toilet and let it sit for 1/2 hr. then flush.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I've heard this sometimes works on kitchen grease stoppages but never a toilet.

I think it's just a myth promoted by the soap industry

Comment

Working...
                              X