X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet auger woes

had an old time customer call me last night 9pm. in a panic. her powder room toilet was overflowing and not shutting off. hardwood floors were getting wet.

told her to shut the angle stop, she ended up putting a can under the fluidmaster ballcock.

went there today to find a broken off closet auger in the kohler 1 pc. elongated 1.6 off white toilet. she tried using a 3' auger in the toilet and never got it cleared, but managed to scratch it all up.

i removed the broken auger and used my plunger to easily clear the stoppage. then flushed in a 1/2 roll of toilet paper. the whole time explaining to the owner why i use a plunger and not an auger.

she is going out to buy the same style plunger and not replace the auger she ruined.

as far as the scratched toilet, she is probably going to replace it with a toto.

pictures of the toilet scratches and the paper i flush to test with.

rick.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-12-2009, 02:20 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Toilet auger woes

why replace toilet? the scratches? muriatic will take them right off.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

she says the toilet plugs 3 times a week

paper flushed fine with 1/2 a roll.

a kohler 1 pc. 1.6 is a lousy flusher.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        she says the toilet plugs 3 times a week

paper flushed fine with 1/2 a roll.

a kohler 1 pc. 1.6 is a lousy flusher.

rick.
        How can it flush 1/2 a roll fine but still be considered a lousy flusher?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          How can it flush 1/2 a roll fine but still be considered a lousy flusher
          Depending on the load mass ratings you may need 2.5 flushes

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            How can it flush 1/2 a roll fine but still be considered a lousy flusher?

Thanks.

J.C.
            paper is soft and pliable. turds are not

the paper is used to test for a blockage and it will catch if there is still anything lodged in the toilet.

kohler 1 pc. never were good flushers, especially 1.6 gpf.

actually their pressure assist were, but you stood the chance of getting blown up

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

the paper is used to test for a blockage and it will catch if there is still anything lodged in the toilet.

actually their pressure assist were, but you stood the chance of getting blown up

rick.
              I've been meaning to ask you not to use my front bathroom when you come to visit.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

rick.
                Doesn't make sense to me.

With the regular flapper version of the last 5 years, I've installed I don't know how many without 1 callback about stoppage problems. Not 1. I trust your experience but I ask the suppliers, showroom people, & other plumbers locally in comparison to others toilets available here and have gotten positive answers about Wellworths with the regular flapper.

Not so much with the new "Speed Streakers".

I'm trying to figure out exactly what to recommend now to people at different price ranges.

No "Speed Streakers" allowed.

J.C.

Comment

this 1 pc. low flow has the shark fin flapper. the big issue is the tank level is only slightly higher than the bowl level. there is very little gravity to help with mother nature

a wellworth is a 2 pc. toilet and has a lot more gravity than a 1 pc. toilet.

i just fixed and modified an old wall mounted pull chain toilet. this has so much gravity working for it that it gets 4 flushes with the water shut off and just the water left in the tank. the 6' of gravity fall takes everything down.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Her using an auger is by no means proof that a plunger is superior to an auger. She probably doesn't know what she was doing and I'd imagine she's using either a ridgid or speedway auger. I seriously doubt one of us would've had the same problem.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, this is what was in her mind as it's what the old company she use to call would do. that's all she knew. all she had was the cheap red plunger that folds up/ flips over.

she was under the impression that the auger is all that works.

after spending a minute clearing the stoppage and 20 minutes testing and talking with her, she is now informed to the proper way to clear the common toilet stoppage. she also knows where her water main is and how to easily shut off her toilet in the future if need be. she also was educated in the reason why that toilet clogs and how to explain it to her roommate that is the one that uses it.

not bad for a saturday call, considering she hasn't needed me since 2006.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X