Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning a 4'' main from a 1.5'' c/o.

Good going Rick, tool guys "improvise" when it's time. Sometimes the bear eats you, sometimes you eat the bear .

What would it cost them for you put in the correct size c/o ?

Comment

Originally posted by cool tool View Post
      Good going Rick, tool guys "improvise" when it's time. Sometimes the bear eats you, sometimes you eat the bear .

What would it cost them for you put in the correct size c/o ?
      about 4 hours of work under the house and stubbing to the outside.

since i have a track record, and the line has lasted on average over 24 months, i doubt there is any reason to pursue it.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

does anyone here pull the toilet and run a cable through the house main when a suitable outside clean-out isn't available?

Comment

all the time! lol
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Excuse the ignorance, but I cannot figure out the reasoning behind a "reverse auger" at all.

A regular cable wound the regular way will do the same thing won't it?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisco Kid View Post
              does anyone here pull the toilet and run a cable through the house main when a suitable outside clean-out isn't available?
              Most every day. Some prefer the roof vent. I find 4" vents rare, and single story buildings with not-steep roofs without snow on them even more rare around here, so I prefer to pull the toilet.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                Most every day. Some prefer the roof vent. I find 4" vents rare, and single story buildings with not-steep roofs without snow on them even more rare around here, so I prefer to pull the toilet.
                I have to hand to you guys that do this work in snow and ice. I lived in Colorado for a while. No way, NO FRIKKIN way could I do this work in those conditions.

Comment

Code here calls for minimum 3 inch sewer vents so in the two largest parishes everyone has at least that. Some nearby parishes only have 2 inch vents. I dont get on two story roofs. Usually spend 5 minutes or so probing for a cleanout, then will jump on the one story roof. No cleanout, no vent access, I will pull commode.

If the bathroom is too pretty or the HO is too particular I will run from a 2 inch cleanout with a whip attachment. Running twice with a lot of water.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Excuse the ignorance, but I cannot figure out the reasoning behind a "reverse auger" at all.

A regular cable wound the regular way will do the same thing won't it?

J.C.
                    no it won't

the regular cable will only corkscrew/bite if it's run in a reverse direction.

the normal auger is too weak at the welded joint and i broke off 4 in 1 day on a job.

with the cable i use, i've never broken it. to corkscrew, you have to run in reverse. never had an issue and it my go to cable/ cutter when there is no other choice.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

here we have 1.5 and 2 inch roof vents, unless it's an apartment 3 and 4 inch vents are a thing of the past. We pull a lot of toilets.

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                      Code here calls for minimum 3 inch sewer vents so in the two largest parishes everyone has at least that. Some nearby parishes only have 2 inch vents. I dont get on two story roofs. Usually spend 5 minutes or so probing for a cleanout, then will jump on the one story roof. No cleanout, no vent access, I will pull commode.

If the bathroom is too pretty or the HO is too particular I will run from a 2 inch cleanout with a whip attachment. Running twice with a lot of water.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

We have 3" and 4" vents but I refuse to go on roofs. Typically I'll install a cleanout where posible, or refer them to my local plumber if the toilet has to be lifted.
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

You have to have the same size vent as lateral [ side sewer back East] on the U.P.C.,
                          I thought ! Do people have less than a 4" lateral on single family homes in this country?
                          Do some homes have a 2" vent as their largest?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            You have to have the same size vent as lateral [ side sewer back East] on the U.P.C.,
                            I thought ! Do people have less than a 4" lateral on single family homes in this country?
                            Do some homes have a 2" vent as their largest?
                            tool, out here pre 1959 was always a 4'' vent for the toilet to match the 4'' main.

after 1959, vents could be reduced to 2''. when i find a 4'' vent, i know it's old and typically a straight shot down the wall.

2'' can be an issue with vent 90's

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                            X