X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a 4'' main from a 1.5'' c/o.

thanks to the k-60 and a 7/8'' reverse auger cutter.

the 7/8'' cable is very flexible and is also very springy.

i use my 12' long cut off c-10 cable with a 45 degree bend in the last 4''.

i also heated, straightened, sharpened, and then reheated, oil quenched the cable hook to re-temper the end.

the cable is an opposite wound pitch and requires the rotation to be reversed to allow the auger to grab.

by doing this, i can go through a 1.5'' cleanout opening and still get the cable to spring open in a 4'' pipe. the reverse auger grabs and funnels the roots into the cable.

knowing the distance allows me to concentrate the cleaning and scrape the walls of the pipe.

plenty of water running and concentrating at these points will give you very good results.

the one location i have a 3 invoice track record that shows 27 month intervals between each cleaning.

the other job last 1 year between cleanings and it too has a 5 year track record.

both jobs are under concrete footings.

you can't buy the reverse auger, but you can make your own

rick.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-13-2009, 12:39 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Cleaning a 4'' main from a 1.5'' c/o.

This is one of the most troublesome jobs we come across. A clean out or access point smaller than the line that needs cleaning. We can't get a full size cleaning tool in so this always creates a problem and requires more time using smaller tools to complete the job. Thanks Rick

Ricky

Comment

Rick,

Does that 1-1/2" cleanout go right into a 4" pipe or are you making several turns to get it there?

ALL of our cleanouts here have to be full pipe size

If that cleanout was my only access to the main then a jetter would be my choice

I still think you are playing a numbers game

Comment

Numbers game PC?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Numbers game PC?

J.C.
          Eventually he will get stuck and not be able to get his cable back.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

One day he's is going to hook something that won't come back through that 1-1/2" cleanout. For me, this risk is too great. It happened to me many years ago one time. Never again will I be so cocky.

Spent 2 days breaking floors and cutting walls trying to retrieve my cable that had a huge rootball on the end. My retriever drilled a hole right through it and poked out the other end. Couldn't shake it off.

Whenever Rick mentions this...I do this

Comment

bill, these jobs are all raised foundation homes. the 1.5'' transition into the 4'' in 10-11'. never been stuck with this method.

except the time i did a roof drain for my buddy steve sent me to an office complex with a plugged roof drain/ ac condensate.

who knew it was a 2'' line with a p trap

found that out when i cleared it with my 7/8'' cable and cutter. it cleared and i couldn't get the couplings back through the trap

took apart a fitting in the t-bar ceiling to get off my coupling and cutter.

when clearing a stoppage from a 1.5''-2'' line with my reverse auger, i go at it and pull back to clean it. i'll make several runs if i feel it tight. sort of like fishing, i day the fish is going to win, but so far, i don't let them win

another neat thing is the reverse auger can easily unscrew the load by putting the motor in a forward direction. so far so good and i've done dozens and dozens of undersized c/o this way. after breaking 4 factory auger cutters in 1 day. i made this one up and it's never broken.

bill, trust me we're both team geritol

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The area Rick works is almost exclusively basements or crawl spaces for residential.

Mark

Comment

I still trust you but I swear you must have plumbing fairies following you around, Rick.

You guys really have it so easy out there. I can't remember EVER having a cleanout access as easy as the one in that picture. You could have cleared that drain without even taking the snake off the truck.

Whenever I go big game fishing....the fish bite back
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 04-12-2009, 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

I think it has to do a lot with where you work. In my valley a home built in the 50s is a really old home. I imagine in other parts of the Country the home would hardly be broke-in yet.

Mark

Comment

I hate to clean a drain without a proper size clean out it is scary as H_LL but when you got no chose and it is ether leave them with no toilet or take a chance I will do it. But I let the customer know that I'LL try it but there is no guarantee and it will not be cleaned as good as I would like only, a temporary fix and if I get stuck it is there baby and make them sign off on it. I haven't gotten stuck to where I couldn't get it out but I have bent some cable. I don't know how but they stay open long enough that they wont put in a bigger clean out. I use a broken cable too and take it out a little at a time. They were put in when all they had were pocking rods and that was all the bigger they needed to be. It would be so nice if they would ask a cleaner to tell them how the clean outs should be put in. I have done this for free, but most times your just stuck with what you got.

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;223118]thanks to the k-60 and a 7/8'' reverse auger cutter.

the 7/8'' cable is very flexible and is also very springy.

i use my 12' long cut off c-10 cable with a 45 degree bend in the last 4''.

i also heated, straightened, sharpened, and then reheated, oil quenched the cable hook to re-temper the end.

the cable is an opposite wound pitch and requires the rotation to be reversed to allow the auger to grab.

by doing this, i can go through a 1.5'' cleanout opening and still get the cable to spring open in a 4'' pipe. the reverse auger grabs and funnels the roots into the cable.

knowing the distance allows me to concentrate the cleaning and scrape the walls of the pipe.

plenty of water running and concentrating at these points will give you very good results.

the one location i have a 3 invoice track record that shows 27 month intervals between each cleaning.

the other job last 1 year between cleanings and it too has a 5 year track record.

both jobs are under concrete footings.

you can't buy the reverse auger, but you can make your own

rick.

Rick

I am more interested in your methode of re-tempering of your cable did you do the same when you put the 45 degree bend in it and could your re-tempering with oil be down when trying to straightening a cable.

Tony

Comment

Why didn't they run a full 4" all the way years ago?? What was the thinking?
                          Is this off the Kitchen sink? I see this where Ilive all the time.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Why didn't they run a full 4" all the way years ago?? What was the thinking?
                            Is this off the Kitchen sink? I see this where Ilive all the time.
                            tool, both are off the lav sinks.

there are plenty others that i've done, these are just 2 that were recent with my camera and a track record.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick

I am more interested in your methode of re-tempering of your cable did you do the same when you put the 45 degree bend in it and could your re-tempering with oil be down when trying to straightening a cable.

Tony[/quote]

tony, i suppose it could be done, but i'm not sure if it's advised. i certainly wouldn't try my method in the middle of a cable.

mine has been great, but it's only the very end and nothing to lose. i would check with a real metal pro for their advice.

i can vouch for my method, but i wouldn't trust it for a mid run cable.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X