X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 reasons not to use DRAIN CLEANERS

Someone must have 10 ! I'm not in the Buss., but it would be a good thing to have printed on the back of ones Buss. card. I know of a few good reasons, Maybe You drainsters can fill the bill.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 10 reasons not to use DRAIN CLEANERS

1) Usually a waste of money.

2) Dangerous to the user.

3) Dangerous to the plumber/draincleaner you're going to have to call anyway.

4) Damages cables.

5) Can be damaging to plumbing pipes causing more expensive repairs.

6) Will damage finishes of plumbing fixtures.

All I can think of off the top of my head.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

4) Damages cables.

J.C.
      Don't forget chickens, like those wings too 1 No I'm not from PITA!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

4) Damages cables.

J.C.
        Don't forget chickens, like those wings too! No I'm not from PITA!

Comment

Don't forget BAD for the environment (including the plastic bottle it comes it)

HAHA listen to me go and I'm not even a tree hugger

-More expensive than unleaded gas and you would not dump that down the drain?

-Fumes bad for your health

- If bottle drain cleaners really worked who would need a plumber?
          Last edited by OkieBill; 04-12-2009, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Not good chemicals to have in ones household.Very dangerous if children get it.

Used in the wrong drain at the wrong time can really be extremely toxic and possibily deadly< Let me explain this.I once arrived at a home on a clogged drain to find the homeowner sitting on the porch told me they used a chemical cleaner and it stunk so bad they couldnt remain in the house.I entered the home and was instantly overwhelmed by burning eyes, throat,nose as I stumbled to the door it occured to me the home was smokey inside.After getting some fresh air and shaking off the dizzy feeling I had I went back in with a full face gas mask on opened all the windows.What had happened was a washer drained into a laundry sink when said sink didnt drain homeowner dumped a bottle of drain cleaner in the sink when the draincleaner mixed with the bleach that had been in the washer the reaction created a smokey cloud.The 1st attempt at entering the home I almost couldnt get back to the door and my exposure to the cloud was 15 or 20 seconds.

Comment

Just keep using the drain cleaners they make us money. Mo Money!
              YOUR #2 IS OUR #1 BUSINESS

Comment

Number 7 -10 They don't work, they don't work They don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by slink View Post
                  Not good chemicals to have in ones household.Very dangerous if children get it.

Used in the wrong drain at the wrong time can really be extremely toxic and possibily deadly< Let me explain this.I once arrived at a home on a clogged drain to find the homeowner sitting on the porch told me they used a chemical cleaner and it stunk so bad they couldnt remain in the house.I entered the home and was instantly overwhelmed by burning eyes, throat,nose as I stumbled to the door it occured to me the home was smokey inside.After getting some fresh air and shaking off the dizzy feeling I had I went back in with a full face gas mask on opened all the windows.What had happened was a washer drained into a laundry sink when said sink didnt drain homeowner dumped a bottle of drain cleaner in the sink when the draincleaner mixed with the bleach that had been in the washer the reaction created a smokey cloud.The 1st attempt at entering the home I almost couldnt get back to the door and my exposure to the cloud was 15 or 20 seconds.
                  A small taste of WW1 chemical warfare. You are luck you did not walk into a pile of dead home owners and become one yourself. Drain cleaner and bleach = chlorine gas - the smoke like substance you saw

Comment

About the only real plumbing problems I've caused were related to resorting to drain cleaners. From plastic tubular melting and flooding a cabinet to taking the surface right off a plastic sink - bad news. Many years ago, I used some heavy commercial chemicals every so often and lost my sense of smell. Bad way to do anything. Bad for pipes, bad for skin and eyes, bad for fixtures, hard on humans.

Comment

It stains your teeth
                      Mike
                      Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                      www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

customers always deny having used any chemical drain cleaners and then it gets on your skin or clothes. add the cost of new pants or shirt to the bill and the time to run to a shower and prevent chemical burns to your body!!!
                        the stuff should be illegal.

Comment

Back when I was an apprentice, I got loaned out to another contractor for a few days.

We were doing a bunch of work in this old house- slab on grade.

I was in the kitchen changing a faucet, boss in bathroom. All of a sudden I smelled something.

Turns out he poured 1/2 gallon of clobber down the tub drain, hit it with a plunger and blew out the drum trap lid behind the wash machine in the kitchen.

Thinking the drain was now open, he's running water like mad. By the time I got out of the cabinet and hollered at him to stop, clobber was EVERYWHERE. Ruined the whole kitchen floor.

I only need one reason.

Comment

Working...
                          X