Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pheeeeeeeeeewwww!!!!!!

Friday 4 .p.m.
    8 unit apartment building
    owner snaked (he claims) to 100' on Thursday with a 3" head.

Suspecting heavy roots I enter with heavy duty "C" cutter.
    Could not pass 60'.
    Due to the C/o position hard to get a feel for whats going on.

Send in arrow head.
    Heavy resistance at 60' but able to gain a foot or so.
    Starting to feel like I'm going out of the pipe and getting stuck.

Put in a blow bag and clear the standing water for the most part.
    Put in camera and find small amount of water and soft pack.
    Run water and backs right up.

Remember, owner claims he snaked to 100' on Thursday.

I send in arrow head again.
    Again it feels like I'm going into earth and Edith never lies.

So now I'm thinking it's broke but I'm not 100% sure. Something just did not feel right.
    I tell the owner it needs to be dug up.
    I recommend a CO and a few phone calls later that Co is coming to check it out.

Digging Co wanted to do the job Saturday but local sewer dept would not grant a waiver for an opening permit (break in road) so they had to wait until today.

So all weekend I'm freaking out.
    Is it really broken?
    Just really stubborn soft-pack?
    Should I have tried a root saw?
    Did he really snake to 100'. Why couldn't I?
    I was going into earth, I know I was. I know how that feels. The tension, then release, binding then release.
    Or was it the odd c/o position in combination with all the baby wipes making it feel like earth??????
    OHHH NOOO! it's not broke is it! It's those friggin' baby wipes! they were throwing me off.

The digger called me a 10:a.m. today, because I told him to call me AS SOON AS HE found something out.
    He dug down to 3' and the ground lifted and out spewed a $hit volcano.

PHEW! Confirmation enough for me that the pipe is broke. Pipe is 5 1/2' deep but the head pressure forced the poo up.

He called me at 12:00 to let me know all was fixed and he found a 1 1/2' section of collapsed clay right at the point that the water service was sitting right on the line.

Thank the drain cleaning Gods I didn't keep at that clog and break the waterline.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Pheeeeeeeeeewwww!!!!!!

Good call, bro.

Comment

on a similiar note, be good to your excavators, those guys can make you look good or bad very easily!! Something to think about next time you think about renting a backhoe, us digggers need to eat to ya know!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        on a similiar note, be good to your excavators, those guys can make you look good or bad very easily!! Something to think about next time you think about renting a backhoe, us digggers need to eat to ya know!

I don't dig.
        I spent many years as a pipelayer and just don't care to do it anymore,thats why I started my own business, to get out of the hole.

Most of the CO's I recommend are ones I have personally worked for so I know Their ethics.

Personally I feel it's a conflict of interest if I were to dig. As a Drain cleaner, it's my job to do everything possible to keep my customers from digging.
        Thats why this one bothered me so much. I wasn't sure i did everything I could, but I had a gut feeling that something wasn't right.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Glad it all worked out gene. Were your blades c-cutter or spear coming back shiny or with signs of dirt? When I'm in earth my blades and the brass on my blade holder usually come out looking a lot shinier then they did b4 I ran the line. Sometimes I also find dirt where the blade sits in the holder. Sometimes u just gotta go with the gut. Good thing you got intelligent guts.

Comment

Originally posted by NYSEWERMAN View Post
            Glad it all worked out gene. Were your blades c-cutter or spear coming back shiny or with signs of dirt? When I'm in earth my blades and the brass on my blade holder usually come out looking a lot shinier then they did b4 I ran the line. Sometimes I also find dirt where the blade sits in the holder. Sometimes u just gotta go with the gut. Good thing you got intelligent guts.

No shine or dirt. Two more things that made me 2nd guess my self.
            It basically all came down to the feel of Edith in my hands.

Comment

good job
              Mike
              Clark County Plumbing And Drain
              www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

gene, i know the feeling you were going through.

several years back i had a call from a shop i did a lot of camera work for.

his guy couldn't get past 95'.

i go out to the job, it's the phone co with their basement all backed up. i pushed my camera out to the same 95' mark and couldn't get a clean picture in all the muck.

i use my old school locator and i'm looking for my signal 9.5' deep in the street of a very busy intersection in hollywood

i marked it to the best of my ability. they sch. the backhoe and i'm out of the country for the next week.

talk about nervous, i can't even call and i'm desperate to know what they found.

turns out a utility co. bored through their sewer weeks earlier. i was dead on and boy i felt good

it's easy when you can get a picture. it's nerve racking when you go by gut instinct.

good job gene. give edith a hug

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

good job gene
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    I don't dig.
                    I spent many years as a pipelayer and just don't care to do it anymore,thats why I started my own business, to get out of the hole.

Most of the CO's I recommend are ones I have personally worked for so I know Their ethics.

Personally I feel it's a conflict of interest if I were to dig. As a Drain cleaner, it's my job to do everything possible to keep my customers from digging.
                    Thats why this one bothered me so much. I wasn't sure i did everything I could, but I had a gut feeling that something wasn't right.
                    I feel the same way. I use one company for outside and another for inside but my inside company a father and son team stopped when the son died and my outside co is no good inside so I'm stuck now. I have had to do some my self or fix the mistake next time I drill but I just want to clean.

Comment

always trust that gut instinct!

Comment

i'll bite. what is a "CO". we would call a clean out that. we call morticians "diggers" here. we say we will call "the backhoe" here. or just "the hoe". curious. thank you. breid

Comment

CO= Lazy spelling of 'company'. Yes, it should have been followed by a period to denote the abbreviation.
                          Are you filling in for Joey as spelling monitor while she's out sick or something?

diggers (pronounced, digahs)= General excavation contractors. Again, me just being lazy.
                          We also call them hoe, backhoe and, xcahvadah.

Comment

Around here I call the digger Dad

Comment

thanks gene. no joey can be the spelling cop. i have spell check and still mess up occasionally. lol. i was trying to get two words out of "co".

Comment

Working...
                              X