X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy , new tool here

Howdee , I just got registered here and want to say hello, and what a cool site . I'm a typical tool guy that maintains his own home as best he can . I inherited a Rigid roto drum drain cleaner from my in-laws .The main reason I'm here is my Rigid drum machine needs a new cable and I'm needing some advice from the pros . I don't know the exact model #, but it looks almost identical to the K375R except for the drum. My drum is more enclosed with only 3 windows . It has a 100ft. 3/8" cable on it now, or had one. I ended up having to cut the cable out of it because of some bad kinks . My question is whether to go with the 3/8" or 1/2" cable . My reading so far has turned up a 100' cable capacity using 3/8" and a 75' cable capacity using the 1/2" cable .

I'm not in the drain business, so this will be used only on mine and maybe a couple other drains for maintenance purposes . I used this machine several years ago when the cable wasn't in this bad a shape and it worked fairly well with the 3/8" cable. Since then brother-in-law got his hands on it and put some serious kinkage in the cable. Enter 24" bolt cutters for clearing what was left of the cable from the drum .

Getting to my drain problem. My house was built without a CO on the 4" main sewer drain , so I have to go through the 2" vents on the roof to go from the far end of the drain pipe towards the treatment plant . PITA right there . I put in an elbow just after the slab on the end of the sewer pipe near the treatment tank to have a place to run my cable back up the drain pipe for clean out jobs . My slab is 85" long so the 75 ft 1/2" cable would be too short to clean the full length of the drain pipe . 100ft. of 3/8" would get it .

So here's my question , would I be better off with the 1/2" cable going through my vents and then going through my CO on the ground to clear the entire pipe , or would I be better off using the 100' 3/8" cable from the ground only ? If I'm careful with the 3/8" cable , can I keep it from kinking when I use it through the 90 degree elbow that I use for my CO ? I'd just a soon buy the 1/2" cable first off if I'm going to have problems with the 3/8" cable kinking .

Any advice for a Rigid drum machine newbie? I need to know the best place to buiy replacemnet cable for these machines also. Thanks for the great tool forums .

Re: Howdy , new tool here

Well that size snake is for soft stoppages not roots or grease in a 3-4 inch line, Soft stoppage the it is fine. 2" lines is what it is really made for. Since you are over doing the machines real intended use I would go for the 1/2 cable.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

1/2'' will give you a fighting chance of getting the line cleared. once again, no roots. 3/8'' is good for 1.5-2''

1/2'' will get 2''-4'' soft stuff.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

For the record I would not use that size for anything bigger then 1 1/2"- 2 " at most. But you can run in your first sec. of 1/2" then add a shorter sec.on the back to run the length you need. I like the cable center at ST. Louis but I would first find out how much it would cost if you get hung or break off in the line and see if it is worth the gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
          Well that size snake is for soft stoppages not roots or grease in a 3-4 inch line, Soft stoppage the it is fine. 2" lines is what it is really made for. Since you are over doing the machines real intended use I would go for the 1/2 cable.
          Cuda , I don't get it . It is intended for up to 4" drain pipe soft clean outs , who said I was cutting roots with it ?

I stated that I will be using it in 4" pipe so I could get a better informed answer . In my way of thinking the 1/2" cable would be less likely to kink in the larger pipe . I did run it through all my 2" stuff the last time I used it before the cable was ruined , that's where it worked really well . If I go to the 1/2" cable, am I still going to be able to work it through the 2" stuff fairly well ? What tip is best for 2" pipe ? Thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by cool tool View Post
            Cuda , I don't get it . It is intended for up to 4" drain pipe soft clean outs , who said I was cutting roots with it ?

I stated that I will be using it in 4" pipe so I could get a better informed answer . In my way of thinking the 1/2" cable would be less likely to kink in the larger pipe . I did run it through all my 2" stuff the last time I used it before the cable was ruined , that's where it worked really well . If I go to the 1/2" cable, am I still going to be able to work it through the 2" stuff fairly well ? What tip is best for 2" pipe ? Thanks again guys.
            We don't mean to be hard on you it is just the opposite. All of us here have seen someone get in bad trouble with the wrong tool. We joke about it but I think everyone here feels sorry for the guy because we have been there! Trying to fix something that looks simple on something we have and we wind up making a small job in to an expensive one. I'm still looking for a motor for the last lawn mower I fixed. So I hope you just take it for what it is. Us telling everyone where the slick spot is on the log before you try to cross to the other side of the creek.

Comment

there has been a number of threads in the past that people are asking if this machine (k375 and the K400) will take care of there reoccurring root problem.

All it was is a warning that the machine is not intended for and will not do a very good job of clearing roots, and if you try you may end up with some real problems if you have a root problem.

and since many reoccurring stoppages are roots, it is easy to make the translation that one has a root problem.

on the larger line use the 1/2 cable, but the cable does not use a leader like in the larger machines and added a second cable will not be easy unless one makes one, as the cable comes with only the one end, that attach's to the cutters, the other end slips under a U type clamp, in the drum, so one would nearly have to run the extra cable in Drain first and then attach it to the machine with the short end of cable all ready in the drain. unless one makes a short leader and gets some ends and weld on to the cable to make it work. it is possible but I do not think you be able to find pre made parts from Ridgid.

the largest cutter you can use is the best, for the final pass, other wise you may only be punching a hole in the blockage,
              (T-205 “C” Cutter, 1 3/8″, T-211 Spade Cutter, 1 3/8″
              but if you look they only list cutters for 2" pipe for that machine in the manual),
              there are other cutters that will fit on the cable made, but I really do not know how the machine will handle them, there are the cutters listed for the K60 5/8" cable, and will fit, and some are larger, but I do not know how the machine and the cable will handle them in a larger line.

What do know is I nearly lost my cable in a 3" line with roots, under a slab using a K375, and if I rember correctly it was a 1/2" cable,
              I worked on it for nearly 3 hours one after noon in the rain. before I got it out. Then I bought a larger machine that was for the 3" and 4" inch lines.

Good luck what ever you decide to do,
              Last edited by BHD; 04-17-2009, 08:52 PM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I use general cables that have two ends and use a short anchor cable with a fitting. You just run the first cable down then hook the second cable to the anchor cable then push it in to the drum and hook the second cable too the back of the first cable and run it in Eel has this set up too but I switched to general as they don't kink as bad and last longer. I like the Ridgid coupling better but with the general set up I can use almost anyone's cutters and most I don't even need adaptors. You might need to modify the anchor cable drum attachment a little by bending it but it is not hard

Comment

Makes a lot of sense what you're telling me , like trying to use a 3 1/2 hp 20" mower on a field of grass . I believe I will try to use what is left of the 3/8" cable to run through the 2" lines and if I need to cut through some hard stuff in the main line, I can rent a machine designed for that type of clean out for around $40 .

Comment

I'm not in the drain business
                    Do not use a 3/8" cable to open a 4" line. It can can easily flip over and tie itself into a knot down the line or burrow into roots and become possibly irretrievable. I think you may be in over your head. Just call someone that knows what he's doing and save yourself a lot of potential grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                      Do not use a 3/8" cable to open a 4" line. It can can easily flip over and tie itself into a knot down the line or burrow into roots and become possibly irretrievable. I think you may be in over your head. Just call someone that knows what he's doing and save yourself a lot of potential grief.
                      I got that from the first post . I've had that 3/8' cable in there three different times , with no kinkage . Only after the cable got whacked(from another user) too bad to feed out of the drum did I not use it any longer. I suppose you can say I was "lucky" , but I'm not your ordinary HO . I can tell when I'm pushing my tools too far from their intended use. Not going in there with 3/8" again just for the fact that I could have some serious repercussions if it does tangle into some thing BIG .

This all started when my treatment plant filled up with TP and backed up the main line . I have everything running down hill again for now . I didn't run my cable through the 4" line since it was in too bad a shape to use . What I plan on doing next week is to rent a machine to clean the main properly.

My problem now is , my son and I are sick as dogs since Friday. After the main backed up on Wed. , a toilet wax ring developed a leak at the beginning of the line. We pulled it up and replaced the seal. That evening I started feeling like a fever was coming on . Derrick was already somewhat sick Friday, so this may be something I got from him . I'm not one to jump to conclusions , but we have had the sour stomach with a low grade fever all weekend. I woke up Saturday morning felling like a zombie with the runs . Been pretty much laid up all weekend . I've heard plumbers have gotten pretty sick fooling with sewage lines and toilets. How common is that? Thanks for all the response guys .

Comment

Originally posted by cool tool View Post
                        I've heard plumbers have gotten pretty sick fooling with sewage lines and toilets. How common is that? Thanks for all the response guys .
                        seems like we build an immunity to the germs.

i seldom get sick. i've learned not to smile when i'm jetting and all stays out of my system

when you work with your hands all day in dirty environments, you either get sick or get over it. i think i'm good to go and i do wear gloves both the nitrile and either leather or heavy gauntlet drain gloves.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          seems like we build an immunity to the germs.

i seldom get sick. i've learned not to smile when i'm jetting and all stays out of my system

when you work with your hands all day in dirty environments, you either get sick or get over it. i think i'm good to go and i do wear gloves both the nitrile and either leather or heavy gauntlet drain gloves.

rick.
                          Gloves huh? I might try that but I refuse to stop smiling while I am jetting.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Y'all stay up late . I feel a load better this morning . Yup, I suppose you could build up an immunity for crappy work, heh heh . Look at Cuda, he knows how to enjoy life .

The reason I'm smiling so big when I clean my drain pipe is that I don't have to pay that $200 clean out fee . I'll try not to be so happy in the future .

Comment

i tell people the first rule is to keep your mouth shut. mostly that is to keep the customer from bothering me. i sure do grin though. to be honest with you, the gloves just keep the grim off your hands. makes them easier to wash at lunch. breid

Comment

Working...
                              X