Help My little machine beat me up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help My little machine beat me up

I have a collection of hand machines like the Ridgid 39 that just rubs the heck out of my arm when I use it in a tight place. The drum hits my arm and rubs it raw, I have tried longer gloves but it gets me anyway. I have used a Marco that was not too bad but it was too heavy and awkward to hold that long. I wish they had one that the drum had an outer shield that would not turn. I have tried the ones with a hose but some times all you can use is just a hand machines anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I have a bad Indian burn from a job I done to night and it wasn't healed yet from the last time.

Re: Help My little machine beat me up

this is something i've brought up at the roundup with ridgid and renee the product manager

more so the 4 screw slots that will take a bite out of your wrist

hopefully they are making a change to the design

otherwise a great tool

some complained about the excess torque

i like the torque but not the bite.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Maybe a K40 would help you out?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Maybe a K40 would help you out?

good call ben, i'll be glad to sell him mine

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I bought a K 40 at a charity auction off Ebay the hose was broke and I never fixed it after reading about it here. But a lot of places I need it is where I have to crawl in to get to the pipe and there is no place to set the machine but I did throw it in the van. I tried one of those little red things Ridgid makes with the hose and gave it a pitch in my museum it was worthless. Rick I know what you mean about the screws they are what knock my glove and shirt sleeve out of the way so it can get to the meat. The Eel and general are even worse and without the plastic drum they rust holes in the drum at the worst time. It doesn't make you feel too good when you start pulling the cable out and have to stop and tape the hole shut with the customer there. Thanks for the advice

Comment

A little Vaseline on the drum or your arm.

Comment

I've always wondered if this would be a good alternative.

J.C.

http://www.drainbrain.com/pro/4drainrooter.html

Comment

mine used to grind the skin off my arm. i can tell you that i'm a genius. lol. a www.fastenal.com store opened in town and i stopped to check it out. they took me on a tour of the place. they sell an arm sleeve for use in foundries. well they gave me one. would not let me pay. fastenal site says for cut protection. made by www.ansellpro.com. search 59-801. search for "cain mesh sleeve" at fastenal. wraps around arm like a gauntlet, open mesh so it stays cool. hope this helps. breid

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
                  I tried one of those little red things Ridgid makes with the hose and gave it a pitch in my museum it was worthless.
                  What are you referring too? Have you seen the new guide hose for the k40? the auto feed is the same style as the k39AF and should fit with no modifications but double check first.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                    mine used to grind the skin off my arm. i can tell you that i'm a genius. lol. a www.fastenal.com store opened in town and i stopped to check it out. they took me on a tour of the place. they sell an arm sleeve for use in foundries. well they gave me one. would not let me pay. fastenal site says for cut protection. made by www.ansellpro.com. search 59-801. search for "cain mesh sleeve" at fastenal. wraps around arm like a gauntlet, open mesh so it stays cool. hope this helps. breid
                    Don't much care for Fastenal. Sometimes I only need two screws.

J.C.

Comment

just checked out those forearm/ wrist guards. http://www.ansellpro.com/main/produc...h3.asp?pid=102

there was a time, 5 years ago i never wore gloves

i still don't while welding and soldering.

except with tig welding. that's hot

truthfully, the wrist guard is something that should not be required to operate a small drum machine. all we need to do is cover or tape the screw holes flush. i only get bit maybe 10% of the time.

as far as that general little machine. i do like the little stand. i also think having the auto feed close to the drum, same as the k-39 is a better design than the 1 at the end of the hose such as the auto spin and k-40

now if we can make a small stand for the k-39, and attach a small guide hose to it with a foot pedal, would i use it probably not. i like the feel of the drum in my hand. i feel the torque and i can easily judge the limits of my small 5/16'' cable. sure a larger cable with more weight i would think differently, but a 5/16'' cable is like fly fishing. you need to feel the fish

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. I think I can make one out of tarp material , I'm going to give it a try maybe with a strap around my thumb to hold it in place. I put tape around the screw heads on the general and Eel , they don't get me as bad as the front of the drum is angled and rounded but I like the plastic drum of the Ridgid. The Marco was good I didn't get skinned near as much with it, the feed handle held it away from your arm but it would ware you out with the way you had to hold it. So I'm going to try the arm garde thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X