X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless sinks

What do you use to make stainless sinks look good again,after DRANO or something similar has been used.

I cannot remember ever cleaning one.

I DID NOT provide the DRANO.Only the 5/8" k-50 cables and machine.

Thanks,for any comments,if any.
    Kenneth Collier
    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
    Jackson, MS 39206
    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Re: stainless sinks

Somebody jump in.The water is warm.One at a time please,no splashing.
    Kenneth Collier
    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
    Jackson, MS 39206
    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
      Somebody jump in.The water is warm.One at a time please,no splashing.
      I honestly don't know. People with aged stainless sinks shouldn't be trying to get mirror finishes. Some new sinks are polished that way but it won't last unless you get into polishing compounds like custom car & motorcycle people work with.

Steel wool, some cleaner, & elbow grease I guess.

J.C.

Comment

I use comet on mine. elkay lustertone. Not all the time, maybe once every 6 months. Elkay does sell a kit to polish their sinks. It starts off real abrasive and works down to real fine.

I would probably be cautious using any kind of chemicals if this is one of those jiffypop el cheapo's. Scotchbrite pads, maybe?

I have heard that Bar keeper's Friend works well to remove stains, but I've never tried it.

Comment

I lost my first post, computer crashed,

but I just sand mine with wet dry sand paper that is very fine, (have a sink in the back porch and it gets everything in it, and one some occasions I just grab a piece of sanding paper and sand off the stain, (I sand with the brushed finish)

I use barkeepers Friend in the barn on the stainless steel sinks in the meat cutting room, and counters,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i use comet. maybe your equivalent is AJAX.

give it a good scrub. sometimes taking the basket strainer off makes it easier to clean.

those dark green choreboy scrub pads work really good eh. scrubbing in little circles works best. you know, like when your finishing up after going number 2...........................

i save my old tooth brushes for such occasions. i can clean the taps quite well.

rinse with lots of hot water and check your job.

if it's good enough for you then wash down with dish soap and rinse with lots of hot water.

dry to a gleam.

Vince

avoid using any scrub pads that contain iron. it gets imbedded into the SS and can cause something called "after-rust".

Comment

Ken I've just shook my head and told them this is one of the 10 reasons not to use that shtuff! I'm going to look into this after your post.

Comment

Stainless steel is easy to maintain if properly cleaned using comet or something similar and always cleaning with the grain. It can be kept looking brand new forever this way.
                The flip side is that it is also very easy to forever screw up the finish in just a few moments. Cleaning with an abrasive against the grain messes up the finish, but as already noted using a chemical drain cleaner.....you are probably screwed unless you put in some major elbow grease and get lucky.
                Chemical drain cleaner to save a buck...heh heh

Comment

Steel wool would be bad I think. It will clean it, but ti will scratch and you will be imparting iron (from the steel) into the stainless, which can cause rust stains. A woven synthetic pad like a ScotchBrite would be better I think.

For sinks that are already scratched up a bit I have always used one with a circular pattern on the bottom of the sink, and I go around the sidewalls in clockwise and counter-clocker-wise (who used to say that, do you know) motion, not up/down, on the top or flat surfaces no abrasive cleaners or pads, just a cloth and some liquid soap. This way any scratches are less visible.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'm not sure about the damage - but I think that the way I usually clean sinks would work.

We have very hard water here and when I'm replacing a faucet I usually have some severe cleaning to do before I set the new one in.

I usually start with a razor blade scraper on the large deposits.

I use the big green Scotch Brite pads - bigger than you get at the supermarket - and usually some Lime-Away. Polish in the direction of the grain. Then wipe with Scott's Rags. (Rags-in-a-Box)

I often have customers who want me to clean the rest of the sink, or who want to know where they can get those pads. I usually go out to the truck and get them a new one for free.

Comment

There are stainless steel cleaners out there that give a polished shine and will make it look new. A long, long time ago I used to work for a pizza company one of those ones that had an open kitchen so the kids can see you toss the pizza. Anyways we had to keep the sinks and counters looking good so we used a polish that does not transfer to food or hands it also cleans. I don't remember the name of it but if you did some research I know you could find it.

Comment

Mineral spirits do a good job of polishing stainless steel after its been thoroughly cleaned. There is a cleaner available called "organic orange TKO" and one of the things it cleans is stainless steel. Tried it on my sink and it works pretty good. most of the time i just use hot water, dish soap and scotch brite pad.

Comment

I have a stainless steel sink too and have this form of rusts. My friend had told me to use this water treatment for rust by using a special rust-removing chemical. These commercial products all help eliminate rust build-up in our stainless steel sinks. Why don’t you try it, maybe it will help.

Comment

Comet and elbow grease works for me. I love the look of stainless steel so the extra effort to keep it looking clean is worth it for me. Plus, I'm not the one who usually cleans it .
                            Michigan plumber | RootX | Buy Bio Clean

Comment

Bar Keeper Friend. We use it at home seems to work well.

Comment

Working...
                              X