Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened to me

stop the presses

so today i meet a new forum member " plumber dave" at a job i camered for him 2 weeks ago. advised him to advise an end of line c/o and i'll snake it for him when he's done. the existing c/o was 75' from the city main and the didn't clean the first 25' that was root infested too.

so i figure i'll also give him a k-60 demo as all he has now is a k-50 with the heavy duty 5/8 x 10' cable.

all is going good and even joey is there as we were going to go shopping afterwards too the first 25' i shredded the roots with my 4'' x 3'' new cutter.

then i move to the existing abs c/o to get the next 75'. at about 45' i hear a noise in the pipe and it sounded like i flipped the cable i look down the 4'' riser and i see my 7/8'' cable going both directions

i try to motor it back but all it wants to do is dig in deeper as it's threading itself further in.

so dave, this has never happened to me in 3 years of k-60 use

knowing that pulling was not the anwser, i decide to dig and bust open the poor concrete patch from 10 years ago. 3' x 2' x 3' deep.

dave was a trooper and stuck it out with me after we dug and exposed the abs comby, i took my grinder to cut a window into the comby and that allowed us to pull out the 30' of cable downstream with cutter and then my folded 15' of upstream cable.

it appears that the cable coupling was at the throat of the comby when my cutter bit off a big root downstream. as i was maxing the cutter out. the coupling was exposed to the opening in the bottom of the comby. continuing to run it allowed it to thread all the way back 15' without me ever noticing it.

well here is the photos of the job gone bad.

rick.

plumber dave, welcome to the ridgid forum
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-18-2009, 09:11 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: It finally happened to me

Rick, do you think that's a fatigued area behind the coupling?

Was there something that you could have done or will do in the future to prevent the cable chasing back?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Go figure I thought Rick met up with Ben and finally beat him at arm wrestling.

Rick and Joey are out to dinner and away from the computer right now. Joey had called me from the job and then again right after she left Rick and Dave to dig it up. When she told me what happened I was surprised but told her the only way it could have happened was if the head got stopped and there was enough room in the combi for the cable to loop in there. Sure enough when Rick cut the combi open he said it appeared that's exactly what it had done and he believed he might have been showing off a little and was too aggressive. I asked him about the cable and he said it was not worn and he was going to splice a new end on it.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 04-18-2009, 09:36 PM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rick, Do you think using IC would have prevented the cable flip?

It happens to all of us at some point

Glad to see it was one you could get to pretty easily.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Rick, do you think that's a fatigued area behind the coupling?

Was there something that you could have done or will do in the future to prevent the cable chasing back?

as mark mentioned, i had camera-ed this line 2 weeks earlier and knew it was in pretty rough shape with roots.

i tried plowing through it in 1 pass with my 4'' x 3'' cutter.

i believe the coupling was at the perfect spot in the throat of the comby when i encountered the rough spot. i just kept on plowing forward not knowing i was actually winding the cable back onto its self.

i chalk this up to user error and a little luck

Thanks.

J.C.
          Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          Rick, Do you think using IC would have prevented the cable flip?

the ridgid innercore is not attached to the coupler and it would have been the weak spot. so yes i believe it could have.

It happens to all of us at some point

Glad to see it was one you could get to pretty easily.

Okie

well, it cost me and dave about 5 hours, but i do feel that ridgid will gain another camera and k-60 buyer. even though i had an issue, dave saw the finished pipe when i was finished and was impressed with the results.

in fact we're set to go to dinner on tuesday night

thanks for the support guys.

still waiting for the drum to roll

rick
          phoebe it is

Comment

Ouch!

Sorry for the bad day Rick. At least with the mighty k-60 it only fragged one section of cable.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              still waiting for the drum to roll

rick

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I normally work Saturdays. But I got up this morning, looked at my schedule and thought to myself, " Hey look at that, no work today. A day off. Hell yeah. Sign me up. I could use a day off."
                Then I remember, " Oh yeah, that's right, I gotta meet Rick, watch the k-60 at work [ I might get one you see] , but hey, I can sit back, drink my coffee, get a few pointers... all in all an easy morning.
                No problems.
                [so I thought]

2 Hours Later.

Both Rick and I are digging out a hole. The cable got snagged and won't come out. He has to cancel the rest of his days' jobs and I had to cancel my day off. S... happens. But that is the way it is sometimes. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif
                Just another day in the life of being a plumber.

Comment

So how long till All Clear reads this thread and posts

Comment

Rick,you're the man.You take the bitter with the sweet,and post it all in living color.That's all right.

K-60's are mean machines and versatile,great for tight budgets and lack of room in a vehicle.

Dave, buy the k-60.
                    Kenneth Collier
                    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                    Jackson, MS 39206
                    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Where was your Plumbing Fairy yesterday?

Actually Rick I was hoping you got stuck pulling roots back through a 1-1/2" cleanout. But this is pretty good too

Could have been a lot worse

Comment

I am pretty disappointed in my K-60, I am always jamming it up, it does not have the guts my drum has, its weak IMO.

I am still working with it, but it takes alot of jumping around and running around, instead of focusing on the task at hand, which is to clean the drain.

I feel like a clown running around watching the rear cable, watching the front cable, lifting off to feed, stopping to connect more cable, etc. Really slows me down and makes a mainline call a loss to me, can't make any money on it flat rate, have to do them hourly, its a pain to pull cable back, and go back in etc. Like I said, the fact I am able to stop the machine sucks, it has no eggs to clean a tough drain like a good drum machine does. IMO

I think its gonna be just a roof vent machine, but I am now interested in what happened to you.

Maybe I missed it, but how did it actually double back on you?
                        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 04-19-2009, 10:05 PM.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Where was your Plumbing Fairy yesterday?

Actually Rick I was hoping you got stuck pulling roots back through a 1-1/2" cleanout. But this is pretty good too

Could have been a lot worse

I think thats the sad part Crack, he didn't get stuck pulling roots back, he hit a root and the cable folded and came back? Thants how I read it.

My drum doesn't double back on me when I hit a big root. I get stuck pulling back all the massive roots I cleaned out.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Damn is he still digging that up?

I'm getting concerned. << Looks like bathing once a week is drawing flies again.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

When a cable flips here the dig starts at 8' down outside of the house!
                              No kicking the dirt off with your shoe ; - )
                              Welcome to the club!

Comment

Working...
                              X