Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I always....

Why do I always get these.

Washer slow to drain. No C.O. anywhere. No vent either. Don't ask me how or why about the vent 'cause I don't know. Cabinet is built in. (Real Old World Craftsmanship huh?) This has about a 12" crawlspace that you would have to drag anything about 40'-50' through two "punched through" foundations (remodels) to get underneath this point. The punched through points (holes knocked in old foundations) are at opposite ends.

In short, a long drag. I cut the pipe and found buildup in there. Ran the cable both ways.

Never any easy ones.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 10:41 PM.

Re: Why do I always....

rofl...

did you give them a phone quote?

I did one just like that, except imagine a vertical 2" stack behind the shelves, the vanity and washer are back to back at that stack. I kept ending up in the washer trap going in from the sink, finally pulled the washer out 6" and crawled on top of it and saw the drywall busted out behind it and could see it was a back to back. once I saw it was a back to back I could feel for it and hit it from the sink.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

"Call us when the washer/dryer combo is removed and we have proper access"

"Good-Bye"
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

"Can't respond... Must.... do..... what..... Dunbar.....says....."

J.C.

(Avy got me hypnotized)

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          "Can't respond... Must.... do..... what..... Dunbar.....says....."

J.C.

(Avy got me hypnotized)

Like Serena Williams on a tennis court,

You don't see her chasing the ball into the stands to win.

Customers need to understand the importance of access when it comes to drain cleaning. It's already a PITFA to begin with, let alone slapping a moving and storage sign on the side of the truck just to rod a drain.

Comment

Back in those days they had a lamp that you rubbed and a genie popped out and opened the drain for you. I had a drunk leprechaun that worked about as well but I think that he might have been the one that put the pipe in too.

Comment

It's not that big a deal. It's part of the job. I pull wash machines out all the time to access the stand pipe or c/o. Now if there's an entire room full of crap that might take an hour or more to clear out, then yeah, that's an extra charge or they can call back when it's good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                It's not that big a deal. It's part of the job. I pull wash machines out all the time to access the stand pipe or c/o. Now if there's an entire room full of crap that might take an hour or more to clear out, then yeah, that's an extra charge or they can call back when it's good to go.
                I've moved my share of stuff too. But this is tighter than the picture really shows. Almost no room on the opposite side of the picture. If I hand trucked it straight out I got about 1" clearance to the sink and am basically trapped in the bathroom 'cause the door is directly to the right.

Aggravating whichever way you choose to do this one.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
                  Back in those days they had a lamp that you rubbed and a genie popped out and opened the drain for you. I had a drunk leprechaun that worked about as well but I think that he might have been the one that put the pipe in too.
                  dude, have you by any chance cleaned a plugged drain after a drug bust. i'm starting to wonder if there was something else in there.

Vince

did it look milky?

Comment

i feel for you JC.

how about removing the shelf?

i ran into that kind of crap in montreal. go to replace a boiler, we get there and the boiler room in full of stuff.

it happen to work out because the boss charged the customer for the extra time it took two men 1 hour each to remove their stuff.in fact, i do recall putting a lot of their stuff back into the boiler room at the end of the day after the installation was complete. go figure. customer relations?

i don't see anything wrong with charging extra.

a disclaimer on your bill and a good understanding between you and your customer beforehand that there could be extra charges is always good for customer relations.

just some thoughts.

Vince

Comment

Did you at least drop the panel on the stack unit to see if you could access the standpipe from the front?

I've gotton lucky a few times doing it through the front but it's still a big PITA. Besides, if it were easy, everyone would be a plumber

Comment

i get a lot of jobs that no one else will do. i ain't cheap. i'll say it again i ain't cheap. i charge $60.00 to show, check at the door. no check i'm gone. if you start right out arguing, nuts with it. i don't give estimates. i sell them an exact. that is what i call it to the customer. i quote sink, door, stool and or junk removal. i get $200.00 more on small inside drains. i get $300.00 more on 3" or 4" drains. those are starting points. i can be a smart a$$. if they bitcch, i tell em that my wife's drains work great. if they run me off. when they call me back and a lot do, well that's another $60.00 show check and a new bid. you can bet it ain't lighter. always remember your drains work. ( i hope ). if we do all that extra stuff for free, well they will let us. breid

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          I've moved my share of stuff too. But this is tighter than the picture really shows. Almost no room on the opposite side of the picture. If I hand trucked it straight out I got about 1" clearance to the sink and am basically trapped in the bathroom 'cause the door is directly to the right.

Aggravating whichever way you choose to do this one.

J.C.
                          I hear ya. Some jobs there just ain't no easy way around.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                            if we do all that extra stuff for free, well they will let us. breid
                            Somewhere in history with your attitude and mine, we'll be figured out as related somehow. I believe in the attitude completely.

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post

When I flat rate a drain over the phone, I tell people "With Clear Access" meaning I'm not unscrewing shelves, moving tons of bottles or jars and fancy **** on top of toilets.

I've been in the profession for a very long time I feel, nearing the 25 year mark in a few short years and there's nothing I've gained by accepting the additional work involved in clearing a drain when so many I've walked right up to, popped a cap and take the job on in a decent speed.

I don't go for people that accept one price and I get there and there's no proper access. No matter what I charge extra, they're going to be mad because the same implied thinking you just mentioned is what got that drain cleaned too cheap the first time, and now they expect it from me? Pfffffft. Isn't going to happen.

If you start messing with that cabinet, and it doesn't go back together right, or the edge of a shelf gets damage, they're going to want a discount. If I'm pulling that washing machine out, I'm either taking a chance of injuring my back or that new linoleum floor that no matter how much you try to pull up and back, it's dragging those feet into the floor.

Then you're tilting that entire thing forward to do everything you can to get behind that machine to disconnect the hoses and remove the discharge line.

If it's in a small "clean" room, now you're having to take that unit into another room adjacent, everything is getting moved now in the house to clear a drain.

At what point do you draw the line in this nonsense. There isn't because the last guy took it as part of the game and now you're the fool for accepting the conditions.

Everything I just typed out has to do with every damn job I found myself being a guppy for the dollar, thinking I'm doing the job as an average practice.

That's why I inlay my second statement, "Anything outside normal access denotes a $60 additional charge."

LOL! You wouldn't believe how many people will rip **** off walls, tear down cabinets and throw washers and dryers on porches to save that $60. It works and I'm out at my truck loading up on chocolate cupcakes while husband and wife earn their pay.

Comment

Smack your head all you want, I don't have a problem moving a normal sized washer out of the way especially if the customer is unable to. I wasn't specifically referring to this job, just in general. Do you also go sit in you truck and have a snack while Mrs. Smith clears out the stuff from under the cabinet too or is that beneath you? If I bailed on every job just because a few things are in the way, I'd be doing a lot less jobs. I can't tell you how many I've done because the previous guy was too interested in chastising the customer about access. Since I emphatically explain OVER THE PHONE that the drain in question needs to be accessible, I don't get many surprises. JC's pic is obviously a "call me back when it's accessible" or "I'm charging you extra to access the drain".
                              Trust me, you've posted you share of head slappers too. One of these days maybe you'll lean how to run that k-39 with ease instead of complaining that its impossible to use. I figured that one out years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X