Dishonest Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishonest Tactics

There is nothing worse than one company that makes the industry look bad. I have heard a few stories about dishonest plumbing companies coming out of different states. There have been several stories over the last week of plumbing companies that will tv a line that has severe damage and then show that to several home owners and tell them they need their sewer lines replaced. When in fact there was a grease or root clog that was easily remedied. Once they are caught they play it off like an accident and they showed the wrong tape and are every sssoooooooo sorry. Most plumbers and drain cleaners are honest and work too hard to be put down by a few bad eggs. I think most of you will agree that word of mouth can make or break a business. I have home owners calling me every day asking who a good plumber is in their area to apply our product but they usually ask if I know about the professionalism or customer service and most importantly if they are honest. All too often shifty contractors and plumbers make it hard for a new company to start out. Unless buy a business that’s been around for fifty years. I have even seen companies sold off and the new owner will keep the name because of brand recognition. The name of the company will be the founder’s last name. The new owner will run it into ground with poor service and broken promises ruining the family’s name. So I want to give a big thanks to the professionals on this forum I have become a big fan of you guys. Giving advice to the average Joe or the 25 yr pro, you guys maybe up to your elbows in crap but there is honor in it.

Re: Dishonest Tactics

dan, you must be referring to what i see going on in los angeles every day.

i don't want to name names, but i'm sure you already know who they are

thanks for the words of encouragement.

will we see you in long beach may 16th.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I see it all to often. ***** INC. digging a lateral up. Makes me want to go to the home owner and shake 'em. Why, why didn't you call me?
      Why didn't you ask around about these people?

I think it also happens due to unskilled workers. My biggest competition is a Plumbing outfit. They do drain cleaning but their main focus is Plumbing. If they can't get the problem solved they tell the HO to call me before they dig, more often then not it turns out to be a stubborn clog. Before I came into play it would have just been a dig up.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        I see it all to often. ***** INC. digging a lateral up. Makes me want to go to the home owner and shake 'em. Why, why didn't you call me?
        Why didn't you ask around about these people?

I think it also happens due to unskilled workers. My biggest competition is a Plumbing outfit. They do drain cleaning but their main focus is Plumbing. If they can't get the problem solved they tell the HO to call me before they dig, more often then not it turns out to be a stubborn clog. Before I came into play it would have just been a dig up.
        Nice Gene,
        So you basically saved the home owner thousands of dollars but by being persistent and knowing how to properly do the job. I have heard somewhere that one happy customer gives out three referrals but one unhappy customer tells on average 17 people about their poor experience.

~Rick I do know for me it's frustrating to hear about people that are struggling to make ends meat. Then some joe comes out and snakes the line with a cheep snake bought a Lowes, tells the home owner I can't fix it and you have to replace the line. We all know sometimes there is no other option then replacing that line it just seems that with the economy the way it is a few out there put integrity and the customers best intrest on the back burner. I look forward to seeing you in Long Beach Rick.
        -Dan
        Last edited by DanLawrence; 04-24-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

People need to learn that they need a second opinion in plumbing.

They don't want to pay a second company to come out.

Seems worth it though especially for digging up a sewer line.

Comment

If insurance will cover it then most people will just let the tunnel company replace it.

Many tunnel companies here do free video inspections with the job.

People are very trusting, not realizing that the sole reason for the existence of a drain cleaning / video inspection service van in a tunnel company is to keep their $250,000 hydro tunnel trucks and crews busy.

I'm not saying anyone is crooked or selling unnecessary repairs.

What I am saying is that I have no incentive to sell you unnecessary under slab repairs. So you get a honest opinion.

Seconds opinions are always a good idea.

Comment

Since when did home owners insurance start covering lateral replacements?

Comment

actually i've seen it before on more than 1 occasion.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                  I've never understood the concept behind insurance companies not covering laterals. They will cover the cost of clean up from the back up's but not the repair?
                  One would think with a good video showing proof of the problem and the repairs needed, it would be covered.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I think the insurance companies should cover the cost of a yearly RootX treatment ........... like that would happen

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                      I've never been involved with the specifics of it so don't know the details, but have worked for a large rooter company that regularly handled under slab sewer repair covered at least partially by homeowners insurance.

I was instructed when I found a break in the sewer, "get stuck, pulled out mud" to let the customer know that my office can talk them through insurance claims involved with the repair. It has something to do with whether or not there were hangers installed or not, or if the hangers they had corroded and broke, (before stainless), can't remember how it works.

Like I said, I was never involved with that end of it but know it's practiced regularly here.

I don't do under slab. Allergic to shovels.

Comment

I do insurance work all the time. If you buy a house you can insist the seller buy home buyers insurance it is for 1 to 5 years If they find anything bad or it go's bad like a pipe with roots or some other problem like the Heat or air. or anything like that the insurance pay's it. I recommend anyone buying a house to get it the house might cost more but it is worth it. If I find a problem with a drain and I know the HO just bought it I'll ask if he got the insurance if they say yes I'll tell them to contact the reality co. Most are surprised when they find it is insured. And I have reality co. call me up and ask me to give a first or second opinion because I know what is covered and what isn't I just clean drains I don't replace them, so they feel better if I tell them what I find and are more inclined to pay it.

Comment

huh, never knew that. what kind of insurance is that called? Is it like a home warranty that covers heating, air, appliances ect?

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                            People need to learn that they need a second opinion in plumbing.

They don't want to pay a second company to come out.

Seems worth it though especially for digging up a sewer line.
                            That's why my biz cards say on the back "Does you're sewer really needreplacement? Call for a professional 2nd opinion"

I can't recall the exact number of mainlines that I couldn't clear or were broken or collapsed, but I can tell you it ain't very many. Probably on average 1 per year. I'm not talking about your typical sewer with some offsets and maybe a small belly, I talking completely unclearable, mud-on-the-cable, broken. Very few and far between even here in earthquake country. WAY too many non- drain cleaning co's out there trying to sell things to people that they don't need.

You're right DanLawrence, there isn't any glamour in drain cleaning but there's plenty of honor for the taking. It's nice being able to sleep at night.

Comment

your saying plumbers are dishonest, yet your promoting rootx?

Comment

Working...
                              X