Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: redesigned K-40

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    Does it all still work and if so do you want to sell it? If you do,how much do you want for it?
    Ii'll take $300.00 for mine that's got little use. has the feed hose and power feeder. it's one of the original ones i had to wait for when they first came out.

but remember there is no taking it back if you don't like it

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

K-60 with K-50 adaptor hooked up or a good plunger is all I see a need for. If that cable can't do it I go out and get the 5/8" cable and allen wrench . K-60 is the all in one set it up once just change cable.

Comment

You guys just got too much money to play with

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          Ii'll take $300.00 for mine that's got little use. has the feed hose and power feeder. it's one of the original ones i had to wait for when they first came out.

but remember there is no taking it back if you don't like it

rick.
          I could careless about a powerfeed. Will you take a couple pics of it for me? I want to see it. Any cables with it?

What changes for better or worse have been made to that model since you bought yours? Why dont like it.....straight talk me.

Comment

I can not recall the placement of the older model's auto feed. But i do recall if you wanted to roll the cable up you had to put the machine on reverse.

The new K-40 the Auto feed is a two way feed at the end of the guide hose. As to what Rick has said in the past that the guide hose makes you lose the feel of the cable, then how do you feel the cable with a K-39 AF. When at the Round Up I couldn't feel the cable with the K-39 AF using the auto feed. But I did feel the resistance (the machine pushing away from the drain) when it came up on a turn and or blockage. I feel the same can be said with the K-40 AF

As with any machine no matter what type make or brand there is a learning curve with each machine. When I got my Eel Model N I had to learn to rod with it since it handles completely different than the K-3800 or the Spartan 100.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I don`t know how Ridgid allowed the K40 onto the market in the first place as it was all show and no substance a belt driven load of crap rotating at 270 RPM which made it near impossible to clear 40mm or 50mm waste pipes when the K39 rotates at 500 RPM and the K50 rotates at 400 RPM.
              Every time this subject comes up its like waving a red rag at a bull as it cost and around $1100.00 in Aus in 2006 and Ridgid weaved and ducked and couldn`t give a stuff when I complained
              If Ridgid had done their job propertly as they have with other drain machines they would have designed the K40 with a larger electric motor with at least 500 RPM and a direct connection between the drum holder and the motor and they would have had a winner as a stand alone smaller drain cleaner and a real competitor to the K39 which is hand held and awkward to use.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                I could careless about a powerfeed. Will you take a couple pics of it for me? I want to see it. Any cables with it?

What changes for better or worse have been made to that model since you bought yours? Why dont like it.....straight talk me.
                no cables in it, but i have a collection of 25 new cables if you have a spec.

pictures when i go to the shop tomorrow.

machine only had a handfull of jobs.

as ron mentiond, the newer model has a dual feeder that's similar to the newer k-39 and k-45. it allows for retreival without running it in reverse.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Eels version of the rod only spins at a max speed of 350 RPM and the Ridgid K-40 AF spins at 320 RPM K40 B model spins at 340 RPM Spartan Model 81 spins at 270 RPM The spartan 502 model does not give cable RPM in their site, just states motor RPM of 1750 (gear reduced) which actually when you look at the break down of it, it is belt driven. The K-39 max RPM is 450

To me the RPM is not a huge issue, as I stated in the last post each machine has a learning curve. I prefer slower RPM's over to fast of an RPM less chance of the cable getting stuck and kinked by the time one reacts. The Eel machine lets you slow down the RPM's all the way down to 75 RPM, I wonder why they did that?

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                  I don`t know how Ridgid allowed the K40 onto the market in the first place as it was all show and no substance a belt driven load of crap rotating at 270 RPM which made it near impossible to clear 40mm or 50mm waste pipes when the K39 rotates at 500 RPM and the K50 rotates at 400 RPM.
                  Every time this subject comes up its like waving a red rag at a bull as it cost and around $1100.00 in Aus in 2006 and Ridgid weaved and ducked and couldn`t give a stuff when I complained
                  If Ridgid had done their job propertly as they have with other drain machines they would have designed the K40 with a larger electric motor with at least 500 RPM and a direct connection between the drum holder and the motor and they would have had a winner as a stand alone smaller drain cleaner and a real competitor to the K39 which is hand held and awkward to use.

Tony
                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  no cables in it, but i have a collection of 25 new cables if you have a spec.

pictures when i go to the shop tomorrow.

machine only had a handfull of jobs.

as ron mentiond, the newer model has a dual feeder that's similar to the newer k-39 and k-45. it allows for retreival without running it in reverse.

rick.
                  Rick is the old model feed at the end of the hose like on the new model? I know Ridgid has a patient on having the feed at the end of the hose that is why all the other manufactures have it right at the machine then the guide hose.
                  Last edited by SewerRatz; 01-20-2011, 02:33 AM. Reason: added RPM for k-39 and the K-40B

Comment

Yes I like a slow rpm anyway. I want power but not speed. I wish the cable was 60' long Anyway to add 10' piece onto it? I usually go down a K-sink vent from the roof so it would be no big deal to connect a 10' piece of 5/16 cable and drop that down the stack,then prceed to use the 50' that the 40 will hold. Is that possible?

Comment

For me RPM`s are the most important factor when clearing small 40 & 50mm waste pipes as I want to be able to get the cable trough the trap without have to pull them apart and then feed the cable through the waste pipe to the blockage without makeing a mess and the K39 does this with the higher RPM`s.

Tony

Comment

For me RPM`s are the most important factor when clearing small 40 & 50mm waste pipes as I want to be able to get the cable trough the trap without have to pull them apart and then feed the cable through the waste pipe to the blockage without makeing a mess and the K39 does this with the higher RPM`s.

Tony
                        When I had to use my dad's truck (mine was in the shop) he only had the Spartan Model 81 which has a much slower RPM only 270 and I was able to make it run through the P-traps with out any issues. I do find it a little odd that the Auto Clean has a faster RPM than the K-40. The Auto Clean has an RPM of 450 verses the 320 RPM of the K-40.

Guess it all boils down to learning the feel of each machine and seeing if you like that feel or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          When I had to use my dad's truck (mine was in the shop) he only had the Spartan Model 81 which has a much slower RPM only 270 and I was able to make it run through the P-traps with out any issues. I do find it a little odd that the Auto Clean has a faster RPM than the K-40. The Auto Clean has an RPM of 450 verses the 320 RPM of the K-40.

Guess it all boils down to learning the feel of each machine and seeing if you like that feel or not.
                          Yes the operating speed 270 RPM K40 will go around a 50mm 2" trap but won`t get around a 40mm trap.

Tony

Comment

Yes the operating speed 270 RPM K40 will go around a 50mm 2" trap but won`t get around a 40mm trap.

Tony
                            Sorry for my lack of knowing what 50mm and 40mm converted to in inches. Thank you for pointing out 50mm is a 2" trap Just had look up the 40mm = 1.574"

Well our kitchen sink traps are 1 1/2" (40mm) traps the Model 81 at the 270 RPM made it with ease. Our lavatory sinks are 1 1/4" (32mm) P traps and the Model 81 made it through with ease.

Comment

As to what Rick has said in the past that the guide hose makes you lose the feel of the cable, then how do you feel the cable with a K-39 AF. When at the Round Up I couldn't feel the cable with the K-39 AF using the auto feed. But I did feel the resistance (the machine pushing away from the drain) when it came up on a turn and or blockage. I feel the same can be said with the K-40 AF

I agree.

Comment

Sorry for my lack of knowing what 50mm and 40mm converted to in inches. Thank you for pointing out 50mm is a 2" trap Just had look up the 40mm = 1.574"

Well our kitchen sink traps are 1 1/2" (40mm) traps the Model 81 at the 270 RPM made it with ease. Our lavatory sinks are 1 1/4" (32mm) P traps and the Model 81 made it through with ease.
                                Well you are a better plumber than I am Gunga Din as I tried ever way to get my K40 with a 6mm (1/4") cable around a 40mm (1"&1/2 P trap

Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X