X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redesigned K-40

I gave the power spin a pitch out of the van and replaced it with a K-40 I bought at an E-Bay charity auction. The front hose was broke so I figured I would do some tinkering with it before I bought a new hose as I use the 39 for most jobs that don't need the 3800, I mounted the power feed to the front of the machine with no hose. I got to try it to night, I had some 1 1/4" galvanized pipe with 3 cast iron 45's and a cast iron T the 39 wouldn't go through, they had used Drano and rusted it.The 39 hung in the first 45 with it's 3/8 " cable so I got the K-40 with it's 5/16" cable with a grease whip It balked a little at the first 45 then went through but it wouldn't move the mush past all the 45's and T so I tried the 39 again and the rust was cleared enough that it went through. It took some time with the 39 ( long enough for my son to get a belt on the HO'S lawn mower that the HO couldn't get on ) but I think the K 40 needs the hose with the small cable, it wanted to twist up without it when it hit a hard spot.But it wasn't bad I could use both hands when I hit a hard spot and the power feed when it run free. There was no room for the 3800 so I might keep this set up on the van

Re: redesigned K-40

i run the 5/16'' cable in my k-39.

you should have asked me for my k-40. it's been retired literally weeks after it was purchased

be careful with using the guide hose as you loose all the feeling of the cable with that hose.

if you didn't know, i'm not a k-40 fan

i'm not sure who is

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Don't listen to rick. He bought the first model and has been disgruntled ever since. You can actually feel the cable quite well since you holding the front end where it feeds. I never had a problem with mine and I believe the new one is even better since it has the k39 autofeed.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ok, don't listen to me

who actually owns a k-40

who likes it?

who doesn't like it?

list your pluses and negatives.

i had my cable actually squeeze out between the front of the drum and the adapter for the guide hose. and that's only a 3/8'' space there.

i haven't looked or played with the new model, so i base it on my original model when they first came out.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I did own a K40 but sold it to buy a k39af which I do like but the k40 isn't as bad as you make it out to be. And yes, in past threads I did give a direct comparsion of the two so retyping everything isn't required.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Don't listen to rick. He bought the first model and has been disgruntled ever since. You can actually feel the cable quite well since you holding the front end where it feeds. I never had a problem with mine and I believe the new one is even better since it has the k39 autofeed.
            That was my problem with my K- 60. I ordered a new one that was suppose to look like a suite case but got something that looked completely deferent I called the dealer and was told it was the new K 60! it had just came out and was not changed in the new catalog yet. Well it sucked it constantly froze up, I had to take it apart and clean it half way through the job. I sent it back and Ridgid retro fitted it with grease fittings. It worked some better and had plenty of power it got open some drains that my bigger machine couldn't but there were too meany bugs I just couldn't make it work. I like to wait to buy something new till the bugs are worked out but then I just have to have every new toy that comes out. I wished I would have bought one after the bugs were worked out. I might still be using it instead of it sitting in my museum. The K 40 I don't know yet I only used it on one job with no hose just the power feed mounted to the front. It must be an older model as the power feed has just a flat mettle handle.

Comment

That's the old model. The new model has 2 handles.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Question: would the new autofeed for the new k40 fit the older model of the k-40? thanks

Comment

Just got off the phone with Marvin at AJ Coleman, he gave me a price on the K-40 AF and the K-40B AF. Its a bit cheaper than the Eel Model CT

I am leaning towards the K-40B AF. I do not know why it has gotten such a negative feedback from some of the forum members. I played with one at the trade show and was very impressed with the feel of the machine. Personally i like it a lot better than holding a pistol rod. So soon as I get my hands on one of these I will give it review.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The Forum had me hating the Ridgid Auto-Spin for months

Then I picked one up and used it

Lacks power but I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      The Forum had me hating the Ridgid Auto-Spin for months

Then I picked one up and used it

Lacks power but I like it!
                      I have one of those HD Auto-Spin as well, it works well enough for what it was designed for. My Auto-Spin cable died due to a line full of acid, when I tried to put new 1/4" cable in I broke the plastic anchor tab in the inner drum. What I like about the K-40 over the Auto-Spin is its size and the ability to use 5/16 (up to 50') 1/4 (up to 50') and or 3/8 (up to 35'), cables in it where the Auto-Spin you are stuck using the1/4" cable no longer than 30'
                      Last edited by SewerRatz; 01-19-2011, 08:20 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

gt

i live at the other end of indiana. almost of our older home are malleable with ci. a few are cu. i have a drainbrain 5/16" x 50' cable with an arrow head cutter. i have not found a drain i could not open with it. it just beats the crust off the iside of the pipe. i use a k-38, can't wear it out. breid.............

Comment

i pick up a k-40, 3 years ago use it about 6 times didnt like it at all. its been in my shop since.i use my k-39 and like it

Comment

Originally posted by getflowing View Post
                            i pick up a k-40, 3 years ago use it about 6 times didnt like it at all. its been in my shop since.i use my k-39 and like it
                            Does it all still work and if so do you want to sell it? If you do,how much do you want for it?

Comment

im sorry i would have sold it,but i gave it to my brother to use, a few days ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X