X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mainline Cleaning

I had a sewage back up into my basement tonight, the city water and sewer department said the mainline needed to be cleaned out. Is this a do it yourself project or should I continue searching for a plumber?

I have been calling several plumbers this evening however NONE of them do that type of work. With today's economy you would think people would jump at jobs.

Re: Mainline Cleaning

Originally posted by dlgjew View Post
    I had a sewage back up into my basement tonight, the city water and sewer department said the mainline needed to be cleaned out. Is this a do it yourself project or should I continue searching for a plumber?

I have been calling several plumbers this evening however NONE of them do that type of work. With today's economy you would think people would jump at jobs.
    It is different in different parts of the Country as to whether plumbers do drain cleaning. It is not a do-it-yourself job and if you can't find a plumber who cleans drains chances are you need to be looking for a Drain Cleaner in your area.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...ing%22&spell=1

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am not jumping at the chance to play in your ****. Treat me with respect and don't try to chisel the bill and I usually approach these things rather gingerly.

Comment

I agree I wouldn't want to play in someone else's s***!!

Oh believe me a Plumber is to be respected!!!

Comment

did your sewer back up while you were not using your plumbing upstairs?

if so, then you have a stoppage in the city main and your sewer lateral needs a backwater valve to prevent the cities waste from getting intoi your basement.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Around here most plumbers just have a drain cleaning machine to get in the front door so they can tell you they need to replace the pipe.They send out the last guy that just started, tell him how to turn the machine on and when he hits the clog if it doesn't open don't try to work it tell them they have to replace it. With the economy no one can afford to replace there pipe so the plumbers around here have stopped drilling out drains. Most of them just use a 1/2" cable on main 4" and 6 " lines. I would try a drain cleaner they would be more then happy to come out. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of good plumbers out there that will try to get the drain open even here we have one. It is just that they can make more money putting a new pipe in.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              did your sewer back up while you were not using your plumbing upstairs?

if so, then you have a stoppage in the city main and your sewer lateral needs a backwater valve to prevent the cities waste from getting intoi your basement.

rick.
              Rick is right. The first thing I do is to pull the man hole cover and check the city line to see if there is/was any back up. The new regulation here is every new main line has to have that valve installed and it has to be where it can be opened without digging if the pipe needs cleaning. And an outside clean out has to be installed some plumber use the back flow valve for the clean out.

Comment

IPC only allows for a valve on the fixtures that are below the top of the upstream manhole, so usually just the basement, then that line could tie back in with the rest of the sewer.

Now, my city requires one to be added if you make any changes to your sewer, regardless of the manhole situation, they've gotten tired of sending servpro out to residences to clean up sewer backups.

Our sewers are rather old, and they need to jet them on a regular basis, they just don't.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                X