Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

    Has anybody had good luck with the replacement ends for Ridgid 3/8 cables? I have a K380 with 75 ft. of cable. Today the end broke off in a p-trap filled with concrete. Would I be better off buying a new cable or repairing the one I have?

  • #2
    Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

    dunno re ridgid cables specifically, but I would likely reterminate my cable in your situation. I assess a cable as to cost of replacement, age of cable, seviceable length I will be left with after reterm, and condition of cable when deciding to reterm or replace.

    In your case, I'd say all the damage occurred close to the end so you won't lose much length, and if the cable is otherwise in good condition and is a pricy cable, I'd lop a few extra feet off to lose any that got overly stressed and reterm.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

      We would replace the cable.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

        I have had perfect luck with replacement ends and core splices.
        Loc-tite seals the deal.
        Last edited by Jay Mpls; 05-12-2009, 09:50 PM. Reason: moose gas

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

          THATS WHAT I WOULD DO, HAVE DONE MANY TIMES GOTTON MANY EXTRA MILES OF DRAINS OUT OF CABLE,

          BUT BE SURE TO USE THE LOC-TITE
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

            Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            dunno re ridgid cables specifically, but I would likely reterminate my cable in your situation. I assess a cable as to cost of replacement, age of cable, seviceable length I will be left with after reterm, and condition of cable when deciding to reterm or replace.

            In your case, I'd say all the damage occurred close to the end so you won't lose much length, and if the cable is otherwise in good condition and is a pricy cable, I'd lop a few extra feet off to lose any that got overly stressed and reterm.
            Broke off at male end on cable. How difficult is it to put on a new end? Does it need to be welded? A new cable is about $150.00 for 75 ft. A welder will charge $50.00 or $60.00 to fix. Still buy new end?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

              In addition to putting a new head on, I would reverse the cable so the old end is now first in the machine.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

                Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                broke off at male end on cable. How difficult is it to put on a new end? Does it need to be welded? A new cable is about $150.00 for 75 ft. A welder will charge $50.00 or $60.00 to fix. Still buy new end?

                that's the point of using the loc tite so it don't have to be welded ! !
                The loc tite locks the screw thread on the cable and i have never had one to back out on me ! !
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

                  I don't weld them. Some do. Approach welding with caution; the heat can change the temper of the steel and make a weak or brittle spot. I'd suggest a mig or spot welder, not a stick welder, if you are going there for this reason. As others, I advise locktite; that 's what I do. Have no experience with your specific cable and end... anything I have to say only applies to what I've done, but mine unscew from the cable with a little heat and I can usually re-use them (the cutter attaching ends for the cables). But again mine are not Ridgid as I inherited a different system and have yet to take the plunge to swith over all the cables and buy all new bits for 2 vans worth.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

                    the replacement ends on the 3/8 is different than the 5/8 cable it is big and bulky it gos over the cable not inside and needs to be welded in my opinion its a horrible design that does not fit through to many fittings your going to have to replace the cable i went through three last year. GARBAGE
                    Mike
                    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

                      Same situation, broken 3/8" ridgid cable. Would someone please give info on supplier for repair ends?
                      Thanks Tool
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

                        Call Alan Coleman 773-728-2400 ask for Marvin he will explain what type of repair end to use. There are two part numbers available they are both for the same item but one cost more than the other. We would just normally replace the cable, with the fear of a repaired cable leading to a problem. After speaking with Marvin he has never had a problem with a repair. So I have a repair end for a 3/8 cable to try. The repair end is threaded on while the cable is held in a vise, no welding needed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Broken Ridgid 3/8" cable

                          Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
                          Call Alan Coleman 773-728-2400 ask for Marvin he will explain what type of repair end to use. There are two part numbers available they are both for the same item but one cost more than the other. We would just normally replace the cable, with the fear of a repaired cable leading to a problem. After speaking with Marvin he has never had a problem with a repair. So I have a repair end for a 3/8 cable to try. The repair end is threaded on while the cable is held in a vise, no welding needed.
                          We been dealing with Marv for over 50 years, great guy, very knowledgeable. Our spartan cable 13/32" gets mucked up once in a while and requires a repair bulb. The repair bulb screws onto the cable, on forward it screws in deeper, and on reverse the cable expands and the bulb tightens onto the cable. You would have to try real real hard to get one off. I never had any fail on us. Now 5/8 and 3/4 cable uses a different style repair end that once threaded into the cable we put a small weld on it with our stick welder.

                          First picture is of a repair bulb second picture is how the ends for 5/8 and 3/4 cable looks.
                          Attached Files
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X