Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Did I retrieve a piece of pipe rubber lining?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I retrieve a piece of pipe rubber lining?

Yesterday while clearing a washing machine drain with a snake (auger) I picked up a piece of black rubber-like material that resembles a section of a bicycle tube, although it seems thicker.

It is approximately about 1.6" wide, and about 4 inches long. It has a clean perpendicular cut at one end. The end where the snake's head got tangled is chewed up. The width is constant, so I doubt it came from a rubber glove.

Could this be a section of a drain pipe liner? Do they put these in recently built condos?

Otherwise, is this something that could have fallen off from the inside of a washing machine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Did I retrieve a piece of pipe rubber lining?

Roberto, welcome to the Forum neighbor

pictures would help but I doubt it's a pipe liner. More likely some construction debris. Maybe a piece of shower pan liner?

Comment

around here they spray foundation walls with a rubbery black material to prevent water intrusion, could some of that ended up down an outside cleanout?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Thanks for answers so far. The item has a tubular-like cross section just like a bicycle tube, although when it is not "inflated" it seems to strongly prefer laying flat. The width is uniform throughout its length. Thus, I don't think it would have come off from a 1-layer liner application.

Can I rule out it being a pipe liner for an interior drain pipe (in a relatively new condo building) or maybe something that came out of my washing machine? As long as it is not one of those two (and the water is flowing again) I can live with not being able to get a definite ID of what the rubber piece is supposed to come from.

Comment

I cut the piece of rubber along its length and wrapped it around different round items to try to estimate its diameter if it was to be used as a tube liner.

The diameter came out to be around 1-inch to 1.25-inch. The material overlaps if I wrap it around a quarter, and about right if I wrap it around one of the new dollar coins. It is not big enough to go around a D-size battery.

The diameter at the intake of the washing machine drain is 2-inches. Any chances that they used a smaller diameter pipe further down the line?

Comment

Maybe a rubber blow bag that blew up when someone used it in too big of drain ?

Comment

what you have there is just a pice of rubber tubing someone have put onto the end of the washer drain hose to either extend it down into the drain or was used as a gasket to seal up the washer hose and drain connection. dont worry about it toss it be done with it

Comment

I think Arthur is on the right track. Roberto, todays PVC drain pipes a inert to water, many chemicals, and, obviously, don't rust. Therefore, there is no "lining" rubber or otherwise. You didn't damage anything in the system by removing this foreign material. Exactly what it is or how it got there is a tough call. I think Arthur is right. Either way, you got it out, and if the drain flows freely, enjoy! If you have problems in the future, best bet would be to camera the line to see what's in there.

Comment

Thanks Rich and others. Each day looks less and less likely that it would be a drain pipe liner. I can rest a little easier since I probably didn't damage anything important.

Merkley suggested a rubber blow bag. I took a look at some of those, and almost all of the ones that I saw had ridges around the circumference. The thing that I fished is smooth on the outside. Taking note of the similarities in size between the mystery item and consumer grade blow bags I started looking at household/light duty fold flat hoses and sure enough bulk "PVC lay flat hose," or "PVC flat drain hose" looks virtually identical in shape to the hose-like fragment that I picked up, right down to the very strong preference to stay flat when at rest. Thus, thanks to you all's help we have a tentative ID.

If it is indeed PVC lay flat hose it gives support to plumberscrack's suggestion that it could be construction debris.

I'm having a plumber come in tomorrow to take a look to make sure that everything is alright before I put the combo washing machine/dryer stack back in place. I still have no idea how I managed the energy to move that thing.

I requested that they bring a snake camera. The auger that I used was only 15-feet long so he doesn't need to go too deep, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
                    Maybe a rubber blow bag that blew up when someone used it in too big of drain ?
                    That or a piece of a test bladder that was left after inspection. I've pulled a few of those back. Being newly built, I think it'd be something along those lines. But, as they say, a picture is worth a thousands words.

Comment

Iv'e seen a lot of people wrap a piece of bicycle tube around a washer drain - usually the older ones that had the aluminum bend on the end. Sometimes, they'd use it in a wash tub to keep it from splashing. It just fell off in the drain.

Comment

Working...
                      X