problem with general cutter coming off in line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with general cutter coming off in line

I am have trouble with the screw on my general cable connection unscrewing and the head coming off in line. It was bad with the 5/8 " cable almost every time I had to use my home made head retriever to get them out. Now my 3/4 " is starting to do it. I guess it is worn threads I keep the lock washer on and change screws they seem tight but it still comes off. I don't like the screw coupling of the general but I have a lot of cutters and I can convert most Ridgid cutters and Eel cutters to it I have the L adapter for it but I like some of the Ridgid cutters and general. I thought about cutting it for a bigger screw but I would have to drill the cutters for the bigger hole. I tighten it every time I go in any body got any thought on this . Something I could put on threads to keep them in place ?. a deferent kind of lock washer ? I switched to Ridgid because of the connecter but I don't like the drum connecters

Re: problem with general cutter coming off in line

They do that and I change the screw after a few times that I change the blade. I bought a box of the general machine scres and lock washer combos. When I worked at a rental store we ended up using LokTite blue to keep them on but we only gave them V cutters.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

2 ideas come to mind. Enlarge the threaded hole and use a cotter pin instead of a screw. Or use the screw and wrap some electric tape around the cutter so the screw can't back out.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

use a jam nut.
        Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
        1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
          use a jam nut.

Strawberry or Grape?

Comment

had this happen only once with my 2 general drum machines.

bens idea about tape is very good

or just buy a longer screw and thread it past the coupler and install the lock nut.

teflon tape is also a way to tighten the threads. you might just have a worn coupler. use a grade 5 bolt with a grade 5 or 8 lock washer.

rick. isn't it a 1/4'' x 20 thread?

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks guy's I had forgot about the tape, I did that with the 5/8 " as it was really bad about that.The 3/4" was not bad but I think the threads are worn on my leader and hate to give it up. But if it will do that on the leader I worry about it doing that on the cable. I'm going to use all your suggestions and cut a bigger hole as a last resort.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                They do that and I change the screw after a few times that I change the blade. I bought a box of the general machine scres and lock washer combos. When I worked at a rental store we ended up using LokTite blue to keep them on but we only gave them V cutters.
                I thought about LokTite but have never used it before is it like glue or can you get it back off.

Comment

There are a couple of different types of Loctite. One is blue and one is red. One is a bit harder to get off than the other - sets harder - but both will back off. They were designed for things like head bolts in an engine and if they wouldn't come back out, you could never rebuild it.

Comment

Working...
                  X