X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when cleaning a main line

when cleaning a main line do you just clear the blockage or do you always do the entire line no matter how far

Re: when cleaning a main line

It depends on the type of blockage and if when I clear it I know I have it out of the line. A grease blocked line for instance I do the whole line. A wad of paper towels or something like that I just clear. Then I am on the hook for the guarantee period.
    Last edited by EasyEman; 05-17-2009, 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

If it's the first time, I'll go all the way to the main. Repeat customer, I focus on the trouble area only. If it's a laundry/ks line, I'll snake all the line.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I always go from the house cleanout to the city main, even if the city main is 85' and the blockage clears at 30' i still go to the main!

The first thing i do when i arrive at a job it look for a manhole cover on the street, that will tell me how far the customers sewer lateral runs.

I offer a 30 day guarantee with my main sewer cleanings and i do not want to get called back if the sewers backs up becuase i did not do a proper cleaning!

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
          ... and i do not want to get called back if the sewers backs up becuase i did not do a proper cleaning!
          that's why i run the camera after virtually every clearing. peace of mind for me & the customer knows of any issues that need to be dealt with. customer calls back with the same problem, i ask if they fixed the "problem", they answer "no" i charge for a re-clearing

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I always run cable to the next largest pipe.

If running from 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch access, I run to the 4 inch sewer. I always try to over run.

If running from 3 to 4 inch access, I run to the city/parish, passed the property line.

When I hit the blockage, I crank the water on, back the cable up, run over the problem spot several times, then chase the debris to the next largest pipe.

I give all drains and sewers a 30 day warranty, so I have to be thorough. I will do it for free, but don't want to do it for free.

I'd rather spend a little more time being thorough now than doing it for free later.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

What he said.^

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                that's why i run the camera after virtually every clearing. peace of mind for me & the customer knows of any issues that need to be dealt with. customer calls back with the same problem, i ask if they fixed the "problem", they answer "no" i charge for a re-clearing

steve

Do you charge for the video? A while you're here low extra charge price?

My price would increase 170% if I added the camera, which most people would not go for.

I don't usually sell the camera unless I have trouble getting the cable through, and even then some people would rather just wait to see how long it would last.

I'd like to video all sewers but would have to drastically decrease the price or offer it for free.

How do you work it out?

thanks

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Lenny, i am T&M so i guess i sorta charge for the camera but there is no additional fee for the camera, unless they want/need a DVD or it a specific locate job. so i get between a quarter hour to half hour extra for my time. sometimes it's more depending what i find and how much is involved with the locate.

if i charged $XX for the camera it would sit in the van. usually i'll ask the client if they want to see what's going on in their line. 95% of the time the answer is yes.

i still do it for my peace of mind and the knowledge what's going on down there. it will come in handy later

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Yep me too, I will run my little camera out to inspect the line N/C but it is a fast look to see what the line is about, if I stay longer because of what I see I charge more once I explain it to the customer. I don't do it everytime just if I have never done the line or if I get "THE" feeling I should. If a DVD is wanted I do a quality job with narration etc and charge $300- $400 usually. And now with pipe patching being an up sell I am really starting to use the camera even more looking for work!
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                      I don't usually sell the camera unless I have trouble getting the cable through
                      If I have an unusually hard time getting through or it doesn't sound right, I might push a camera inspection. Depends on what the customer wants to do. I don't force anything on them, but If I feel it won't last any longer than the norm, they get a reduced warranty or in the rare, severe case of line damage, no warranty. I don't need a camera to tell me that. That way, if they do call back, I'm not out anything. I'm confident enough in my work to give 60 days on mainline cleanings through a vent and 90 days from a clean out at a single family home.
                      all commercial mains get 30 days or heavily used systems and toilet only stoppages get 10 days.

Comment

In general, I always want to clean to the jucntion with the next larger line in the system. If a 2" for a fixture, I want to clean to a 3" or 4". If a main line, 4" for a house, the to the city main. If a 3" or 4" in a big building, then til I get to a six. If I've got a way dirty line packed with sand, grease, or something like that that there may be enough of to affect the next line, I may do more.

I don't camera everything; I 'size the line' in that I pop the clog with something small to see what I'm getting into, then finish with something large, on the order of 1" smaller in diameter than the line. Putting something that size through assures me in most cases that I have not gone by something and left it there.

If I get some funky behavior of the equipment that makes me suspect something, or just get a feeling, I camera the line. I charge extra for the camera. I camera whether they want to pay the charge or not if I feel a need to do so. If I find something, concerns about the camera charge disappear. If I just see the inside of a pipe, I generally don't charge or charge a reduced rate depending how much time I have in it. If they specifically ask to have the line camera'd, and I don't feel a need for it, I will still do it but they get the fee.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

thanks for the input

Comment

That May depend, if You call the $49.99 drain Guys , You won't get much!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I always run the entire cable if I am using a drum machine as I figure the hard part of the job is getting the machine there and ready (travel time, set up and such). Even with a sectional I will run whatever I have in the cage.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X