jetter foot valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetter foot valve

This piqued my interest, the jetter we have was built by my boss, it's a gas operated pressure washer, 3/8" hose, etc, works very well and saved him a boatload of money versus buying one.
    I've read several mentions of a footvalve, and while I understand the principal, how would it hook up? do it just shut down the waterflow and let the pressure washer keep trying to pump while dry? and is that bad for the jetter?

The foot pedal sounds a lot nicer than my current method of dashing back and forth to the trailer, especially when working from an interior drain.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: jetter foot valve

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
    General has a nice foot pedal the part # is FP-1 they also have a reel/foot pedal combo. http://www.generalpipecleaners.com/j...ssesories.html
    Highland posted this attachment that I think will help you out.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

awesome, so are short term disruptions of water flow not harmful to the pump? I'd love to get a foot pedal going, but I also don't want to be the guy that burns out the jetter.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

the foot pedal is identical in operation to a spray wand.

in fact the pedal uses the same valve as the spray wand.

if you're connected to a jetter/ pressure washer with a garden hose, then the pump has an unloader valve that will eventually cause the pump to overheat as the water will bypass and continue to get hot.

if you have a tank with your jetter, such as a large trailer jetter, then your pump bypasses to the tank and takes in cooler water from the tank.

rule of thumb is to shut off your pump if you're not jetting for 2 minutes. i tend to cycle my jetter in the pipe if it's not jetting. this introduces fresh cool water.

most pumps have a thermal relief valve that will open and therefore introduce new cooler water.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

That makes perfect sense, the idea behind the spray wand never crossed my mind. Thanks for all the replies.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          the foot pedal is identical in operation to a spray wand.

in fact the pedal uses the same valve as the spray wand.

if you're connected to a jetter/ pressure washer with a garden hose, then the pump has an unloader valve that will eventually cause the pump to overheat as the water will bypass and continue to get hot.

if you have a tank with your jetter, such as a large trailer jetter, then your pump bypasses to the tank and takes in cooler water from the tank.

rule of thumb is to shut off your pump if you're not jetting for 2 minutes. i tend to cycle my jetter in the pipe if it's not jetting. this introduces fresh cool water.

most pumps have a thermal relief valve that will open and therefore introduce new cooler water.

rick.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

What does this mean?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

either shut off the pump or cycle the jetter every minute or so to circulate some fresh/ cold water. a 5 second blast will help cool the pump.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Why couldn'tan unloader work with a clutch? When you let off the foot pedal or whatever, the built up presussure would open a clutch stopping the pump while allowing the motor to run? I just woke so forgive the spelling.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Why couldn'tan unloader work with a clutch? When you let off the foot pedal or whatever, the built up presussure would open a clutch stopping the pump while allowing the motor to run? I just woke so forgive the spelling.
                  ben, 1 of my electric 2h.p. jetters uses a pressure switch t start and stop the pump. it is a waste as most of the time with electric, the jetter remains running. also there is the initial start up load every time it has to start up.

as far as a clutch with the gas units. too expensive and too much wear and tear for a clutch assy. i doubt 18h.p engaging every time i shut the valve will hold out very long.

typically any jetter with a tank feed is not an issue.

they do make what's called a dump gun. it will dump water while in the off/ bypass position. but then you have water that is spilling from the gun.

it really isn't an issue when you know how to operate the machine.

plus when all else fails, the thermal relief valve should open.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Those "dump guns" you mentioned are popular at the coin operated pressure washes. When I used my 3.5gpm unit with the 1/8" line, I could feel the water heating up because while some water is going out, some is going through bypass as not enough is going out to be "cold". Bypass to a tank is the way to go. One of the reasons I wanted an electric; once I crank up the gas from "easy start" to run, it's in bypass until I hit the pedal. There is a relief, but the pump likes cool water.

Comment

Working...
                    X