X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric jetter power source..

Mom just moved into a condo built in the late 60's with a modern Badger5 disposer. She was excited to see that, I told her, "Don't use your sink as a trashcan, or you will have trouble." Invited for dinner, kitchen sink backed up. Got the brand new electric jetter I just purchased with the 1/8" line and nozzle. Figured I'd do a test run in our shower at home. Went to plug it in and.. What's this? A 20amp plug? I don't have a 20 amp outlet. Says it draws 18 amps! Uh oh!! Where am I gonna get that kind of power in most bathrooms and kitchens?? Looking through the threads, I discovered power is an issue with electrics; I've never owned/used one. Hooked up the reel to my gas jetter to get the job done, but wondering if I made a mistake with the electric. Anyone have a way around the power issue? I could use a generator to power it, but that's noisy and takes up room in the truck. I'm not feeling good about that purchase right now..

Re: Electric jetter power source..

Keep us informed about your usage with this jetter. I haven't spent any of my boss' money on a jetter yet. I don't want to buy one then not use it.

Comment

Sorry Rich... I sold my electric and bought a little gas unit and this was one reason, the other the gas is higher gpm and psi and about the same size. But if you are set on using it get a 10 guage 50ft cord or two and you should be able to find a 20 amp in most houses like the kitchen.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i saw a cool device years ago. it's a plugin that replaces a circuit breaker with a 5 foot pig tail on it. just pop out an unused breaker, plug the device in, when done replace the breaker

don't know who made it but it was way cool and could be an answer to your issue

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Dryer outlet?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

This will be a problem for you with no easy solution. Even kitchen outlets are 15 amp outlets they me be on a 20 amp circuit but unless you change the plug on the unit to a 15 amp plug and know you are plugging into a 20 amp circuit you are out of luck. Some commercial establishments may have 20 amp outlets but very rare in the home. Maybe step down to the next size jet that will work on a 15 amp circuit.

Comment

I was this close >>> <<< to buying a 20 amp one last year. Then, I read a thread about them tripping breakers. So glad I didn't. A little research here paid off.

I think Alex (Ace Sewer) has a 15 amp one he likes.

Comment

I jetted the shower at my house with my gas jetter. 3.5 gpm at around 1300psi. I will post the mess that was at mom's condo soon as she sends the pics. Outside wall had an access panel, you'll never guess what was behind it. Didn't need to jet that line after all. Someone mentioned dryer outlets. There may be a way to use just one of the 240 legs to get the required 120v with enough amps. This would require rigging up a box with a dryer plug, etc. The other route is using the generator. Or, sending this back and getting one that draws less than 15... Man, that can't be much in the way of power in a jetter. Maybe I should forget electric jetters altogether. Just wanted something small, quiet, and easy to maneuver for small 1 1/2" - 2" lines. The breaker panel device sounds slick, but I haven't seen it. Appreciate all the info you all offer.

Comment

i'm also a licensed election. look at motor label on jetter. if it is 120v/240v (115v/230v) your in. you will need to rewire motor. if you take little cover, there are picture schematics inside. my guess is that it is dual voltage. i used to hook up air compressors and insulation machines on jobs for the general cons. i would pull the cover on breaker panel. if fuses almost all have a breaker for ac or water heater. if not you can hook them up to the range fuses. i would use ac or water heater. make or buy a 20a 120v cord. cut the male end off, bingo you have power. if your outside use disconnect on the ac for power. if this is confusing hire an licensed electrician to walk you through it. if that is you in the picture, you look intelligent and aggressive that there is no reason that you can't figure this out. if your motor is dual volt well it will thank you for using 240v. much easier on motor and wiring. i never had to show anyone how to this twice. i always left the cord. also use 12ga cords or better. pm me i you wish. breid

Comment

All the circuits in my house are 20 amp, not 15, but then, I wired it.

Electricians used to say that they wouldn't pull 14 ga wire because it was too easy to break. But that was when copper was a lot cheaper. These days, they're wiring everything with 14 wire and a 15-amp breaker.

One of the problems I see with a replacement breaker is that there are a lot of different electrical panels out there and you'd have to have a different breaker to fit GE, Square G, whatever.

Comment

I have a little electric jetter (in fact 4 or five of them lol) that will pretty much be ok on a 15amp circuit as long as it is by itself. It's actually a kind of a homeower powerwasher rigged to be a jetter. 2gpm, I think 1500 psi. anno reverberi 'vip' model. about $400-$500 last one I got. It's my tool of choice in (not galvanized) lines up to 2". Also use it for larger size frozen lines when I have to work from the house out as 2gpm is esier to catch than 6. I've been threatening to make a vid of this in action for a while, have not got to it.

all the talk about rigging to run off a dryer outlet, etc.... that will work, yes, but look what it adds to your job; find the dryer, pull it out, have a special cord to get to the kitchen, be screwed in a big or wierd house cos your cord too short, pull the dumb too short vent hose off the dryer when you pull it out and mess with getting it back on, never mind the stackable in the tight closet. And now next week when the 10y/o dryer dies you get a call cos you touched it.

The ar is about 30-40 lb and small. I can carry it, my roll of hose, my hookup to areator adapter, bucket of tools with some spare p-trap parts, extension cord reel, and nested bunch of catch-the-dirty water buckets with some rags in one trip to the kitchen. everything I need is right there; outlet that will run the jetter, water off the sink via aerator adapter or off a stop if a fancy faucet. It's the way to go. The ones the industry sells as jetters are too big and heavy; you cant do it in one trip from the van, and you have the breaker tripping problems.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

thanks Ace, Breid. Yeah, I really don't want to get involved in the dryer/adapter and have to pull a dryer in a house. Not sure how much of a problem this will really be. Breid, I may pm you, but my wife's family are electicians. I'm going to investigate this tomorrow before I try to send it back. Looking at my own panel, I have a number of 20 amp as well as 15 amp circuits. The only thing is the outlets are 15 amp and my male plug is 20; one straight up, other horizontal, creating T shape. I'm going to look at the motor plate tomorrow. A real pressure washer would run easier on 240, including mine. Ace, if you're happy with yours, I may have to downgrade the power to under 15amps and go with a different model. I hope anyone considering an electric will see this and another thread; power source definitely an issue. Especially if working in older homes with outdated electrical.

Comment

does it really draw 20 amp? why not just lop the end off and put a regular plug on it if not? put a clamp on ameter on it and run it to find out? jury rig an adapter to see if it trips 15amp breaker so you can still return it? they draw more on startup than at any other time; undial the unloader at startup helps to keep breaker from tripping.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

rich, i have 2 electric jetters that are both 1500 psi 2.1gpm with a 2 h.p motor. yes, they will trip a 20 amp breaker under load. as a breaker gets older and if it has tripped in the past, it will actually get weaker.

i, usually use my small gas jetter unless i'm indoors with no other choice.

careful with a 15 amp standard outlet as it might only be 14 gauge wire and a 15 amp breaker.

also don't do the dryer thing as a dryer typically is 2 hots and a ground. no neutral. plus it's a 30 amp double pole and will not provide the proper protection.

you're really better off with a small 6.5h.p jetter if you can get away with the noise. it will put out a lot more than a 2 h.p electric. usually around 2500# at 3gpm.

your k-60 is a good grease cutter

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, my gas jetter is 3.5gpm upto 4kpsi. The gpms make it a lower middle jetter as I won't go near the 4k. I don't have the K60 yet. This one time(maybe because it's Mom's place?) God gave me an access panel on the outside wall to the side of this drain. I will post 1 or two pics as promised, but it's not totally necessary. Behind the panel is a 3" copper waste stack going up to the second floor. There is a 3 x 3 x 1 1/2" san T to catch mom's kitchen. Sometime during a renovation, someone cut the 1 1/2" copper arm-kitchen drain and Fernco'd to pvc. Oh, did I forget to mention the 1 1/2" pvc ball valve in the line? The line also has a fair amount of backpitch. So, half *** fernco job + backpitch + ball valve restriction + older woman using garbage disposer instead of trashcan= Line filled with half-ground vegetables, foodstuff, grease. Actually, grease not that bad. Why the ball valve? I can only guess that at one time there was a main backup and before it was resolved, the water built up to the point that bottom floor(where mom lives) fixtures like the kitchen sink overflowed. A backwater type check valve might have been intended, but a ball valve was used. Rick, I'll stay away from the dryer idea; more you guys make me think about it, it's not worth it. Breckenridge, Ace? I grew up(til I was 15) in Ft. Collins.

Comment

Working...
                              X