X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetting From P-Trap

I've read about this from a couple guys. Do you do it?

It must be way more of a pain in the arse than cables.

I've jetted inside commercial floor drains, and grease trap lines, residential from outside, but have only jetted residential inside as a last resort, and I've never jetted from a pulled p-trap.

I could just imagine a worst case scenario where the jet is going up the vent at first, or otherwise fighting the vent or a turn, or a rust scale blockage, while the water is just pouring out. Then getting fed up emptying buckets and going back to what works 99% of the time, cable machines.

What a mess and a liability.

I just cant see it being worth it. IMO

How do you do it?

Is it worth it?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Re: Jetting From P-Trap

It's easy, fast, clean, and does a great job as long as you are not in pipe with threaded fittings. Those bends are too tight to get past more than one in most cases.

Bear in mind I use a portable electric jetter; I don't sling hose from the van. Most 2" lines are less than 30' before they join a 3" or 4", so I have a 35' 1/8" hose for these. I go in through a pulled p-trap. A 3 gal bucket fits under most rough-ins. A one bucket job is typical with my 2gpm jetter. A three or more bucket job is rare. Typically 30-45 min on a sink from rolling up to rolling away from the site. No black **** slinging off the cable, just dirty water calmly rolling into my bucket. Perfect knowledge of how deep the clog was as when the water stops coming back, thats the end of it.

Tubs and showers are usually hair, so they get a cable.

Floor drains get the trap wet-vac'ed as stuff falls in them, then the vac catches the water while I jet.

Main lines with no other access than from the house get snaked when frozen is unlikely, jetted when I expect to find ice. I use the little 2gpm machine to pop them as 2gpm is easier to catch than 6, then finish with the big machine.

I'll try to make a vid on the next job and you tube it and post a link.
    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 05-17-2009, 11:58 PM.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      It's easy, fast, clean, and does a great job as long as you are not in pipe with threaded fittings. Those bends are too tight to get past more than one in most cases.

Bear in mind I use a portable electric jetter; I don't sling hose from the van. Most 2" lines are less than 30' before they join a 3" or 4", so I have a 35' 1/8" hose for these. I go in through a pulled p-trap. A 3 gal bucket fits under most rough-ins. A one bucket job is typical with my 2gpm jetter. A three or more bucket job is rare. Typically 30-45 min on a sink from rolling up to rolling away from the site. No black **** slinging off the cable, just dirty water calmly rolling into my bucket. Perfect knowledge of how deep the clog was as when the water stops coming back, thats the end of it.

Tubs and showers are usually hair, so they get a cable.

Floor drains get the trap wet-vac'ed as stuff falls in them, then the vac catches the water while I jet.

Main lines with no other access than from the house get snaked when frozen is unlikely, jetted when I expect to find ice. I use the little 2gpm machine to pop them as 2gpm is easier to catch than 6, then finish with the big machine.

I'll try to make a vid on the next job and you tube it and post a link.
      video would be awesome thanks

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

so, I threw the camcorder in yesterday and made a vid, and youtube rejected it as too long (sigh).
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          so, I threw the camcorder in yesterday and made a vid, and youtube rejected it as too long (sigh).
          Try to edit it down to under 10 min. Should be good to go.

Comment

have no editing software... any freeware or something to just whack it in half? it's in 4 parts now, one part too long but it's the meat of it.

Comment

If you using windows XP or vista movie maker should do the trick. Apple comps should have the same thing.

Wait, you need to get it from tape to disc first right? That won't be quite as quick.
              Last edited by Twicepipes; 05-20-2009, 02:33 AM.

Comment

naw its a .mov file. I'll fart around with it. I don't think I have movie maker... I'm win xp.

Comment

ok, I've got movie maker but it doesnt seem to support .mov files

what a complete pita this crap is

Comment

Movie Maker Supported file types
                    • Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
                    That would be a problem since .mov is a quicktime format ie apple. I'm sure there's a way around it but I don't know it. If you can some how convert that .mov into mpeg or wmv, it'll work.

Comment

you could try my string method.

"what is the string method?", you ask.

i can't remember if i've ever used this on a p-trap but i did thaw a frozen fixture drain once in montreal. it was steel pipe.

Vince

this pic shows a T. i have gotten through 90's using this method.
                      Attached Files

Comment

question to Ace the sewer

which electric jetter are you using and with what configuration??

tnx

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                          you could try my string method.

"what is the string method?", you ask.

i can't remember if i've ever used this on a p-trap but i did thaw a frozen fixture drain once in montreal. it was steel pipe.

Vince

this pic shows a T. i have gotten through 90's using this method.
                          This also works great for sewer cams but instead of knotting it, string it through the spring so you can let go of one end and pull it out with the other. This makes it so you don't have to push the string the whole way, only till your through the bend

Comment

A little tip for those who want to try jetting smaller 1 1/2 to 2" lines (steel) buy the ridgid spring leader tip they sell for the electric and gas series jetters. The spring on the end of the tip will get you thru an extra bend or two to improve doing the run.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                            X