X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kj 3000

Did a demo with new jetter today in some 90mm pipe with a few odd bends and juctions in it and also chucked it down my sewer to the main junction. Couldnt get it anyfurther than 25 ft in with 3/90degree changes in direction and a few gradual bends as well. Even with the pulse action it wouldnt go!! Ah well its a learning curve i suppose. any hints?
    When in the 90mm it went really well and got used to twisting the hose in the drain with a small loop in the line. Put the small head on and chopped into some wood nicely
    The root ranger went on after all that and jeeeez did it scream. Thats gonna hurt
    #One query though when I put the pressure washer lance on i could get the full 3000psi but only in short bursts. Any ideas?
    Thanks a lot ya all

Re: Kj 3000

Hey, Oz. The first thing that concerns me is the full 3k but only in short bursts. That could mean air in the line or not enough water volume. Make sure to get all air out of lines before starting engine from a good source-more volume than your washer pump puts out. Not just for cleaning sake, but to avoid any damage to the pump. America and the Brits are the last holdouts when it comes to metric, but a 90mm pipe is around 3 1/2". You mentioned Root Ranger, I think you're trying to use a 3/8" hose and nozzle? This is a guide I found online for jetting hose size/pipe size:
    What size sewer jetter hose should I use?
    1" - 3" diameter pipe lines use 1/8" jetter hose
    2" - 4" diameter pipe lines use 1/4" jetter hose
    4" - 8" diameter pipe lines use 3/8" or 5/16" jetter hose
    4" + diameter main lines use 1/2", 3/4" & 1" jetter hose
    There's no challenge holding up a piece of 1 1/2" pipe and sliding a 1/2' hose or cable down it. But, add a straight, solid metal terminal + solid metal nozzle + Bend in pipe= you get my point. I would guess the 3/8" nozzle and the 90's are where you're running into problems.
    Rick mentioned good tips in earlier thread, but I doubt you'll have good luck if your line/nozzle is too big. Also, I'm ASSuming(not a good idea?) when you say 90's, you're refering to long or sweep 90's.. Not the short ones. I think I read you were going to get a reel with 1/4"... Try the 1/4" on that size pipe paying close attention to the length of your end/nozzle. The shorter it is, the easier (or even possible) it may be to negotiate bends. Plus, every time you buy another size line/nozzle combo, you increase potential use of your new tool. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Comment

bends are the challenge for both jetters and cameras. lots of friction on the walls of the fittings.

using the least sticky hose will give you better results than a rubbery hose.

i like my stainless braided teflon core hoses. they are smaller than the rubber/ plastic as the stainless braid helps to retain the pressure better and therefore can get away with a smaller od while maintaining the same id.

also try a nozzle with all rear and a lesser angle. more rearward will give you more pull. pulsation causes the hose to vibrate and break the wall contact friction. problem is the pump will drop pressure/ volume and pull.

try using the foot pedal to make short blast while rotating the hose.

so to recap, using a slick hose, proper nozzle, and proper technique will help to get in the line as far as possible.

of course some lines will not be possible due to the combination of fittings. for those use a snake

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;230640]
        i like my stainless braided teflon core hoses. they are smaller than the rubber/ plastic as the stainless braid helps to retain the pressure better and therefore can get away with a smaller od while maintaining the same id.

Rick, where do you get such hoses? I don't believe this is the hose I just bought. Not sure I've seen what you're referring to.

Comment

Your right rich it is a 3/8" setup so ill have to get a smaller reel. My question is will i still be able to use my 3/8" heads (not the rr obviously) and reduce the fitting on the hose with a socket and nipple for example?

The best performing one was the 4 back none forward and the hose is super shiny and very sticky!!!!!! I too would like to know where you get this stainless braid stuff rick, bet it cant be cheap but im sure its worth every cent!

PS I checked the flow from/pressure from my tap before I setup the jetter on it 600kpa and 5 lpm. Sorry for the metric stuff lads.

Comment

PS IM A SECTIONAL MAN

of course some lines will not be possible due to the combination of fittings. for those use a snake

rick.[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by ozplumb View Post
              Your right rich it is a 3/8" setup so ill have to get a smaller reel. My question is will i still be able to use my 3/8" heads (not the rr obviously) and reduce the fitting on the hose with a socket and nipple for example?

The best performing one was the 4 back none forward and the hose is super shiny and very sticky!!!!!! I too would like to know where you get this stainless braid stuff rick, bet it cant be cheap but im sure its worth every cent!

PS I checked the flow from/pressure from my tap before I setup the jetter on it 600kpa and 5 lpm. Sorry for the metric stuff lads.
              looks like 71 psi and approx 1.5 gallons per minute.

your incoming pressure is fine. problem is that your volume is way too low. the jetter uses 4 gallons per minute and you need to supply more than 4 gpm to keep the pump from starving.

can you find a higher volume faucet?

i get the stainless hose from a local hose supplier. i also get all stainless barbs.

not cheap, but it does a great job.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry made a clerical error on the flow at the tap its 5 gallons per minute which is around 20 litres per minute.
                Thats a point i was connected to a bib on the very back of my house the furthest from the water meter so ill keep in mind to connect to the tap at the meter.
                I did my first paying job with it today and it worked a treat
                Terrible job and we have hit a dead end with progress until we get a leak detector onto it.
                I feel crappy about it and dont like to see a job go when i dont have the equipment!!! Tell me how hard is it to use this leak detection stuff and how much would i be out of pocket?
                Just to educate; the job is all 4"pvc under head pressure (gravity) to feed around 15 thousand litres of rainwater tanks. The pipework mainly runs under POLISHED/ HEATED concrete slab and i dont think the owner (or drainer) is going to be happy if its under house.
                Ive jetted and camered the entire job and all joins are good. He has used pressure solvent cement and primers and neat joins. Got me stumped
                any help would be appreciated thanks
                Last edited by ozplumb; 05-20-2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

3000psi @ 20ltr/min using 3/8" hose = not a combination thats going to clear much at all.

For starters, when cleaning 90mm stormwater drains we usually use 3/16" or 1/4" hose, 3/8" just wont go around a 90 degree bend and continue on for much longer. You need to get a better jetter, one with at least 4300psi @ 21 - 23 ltr/min. I use 3/8" on my 4300psi @ 31ltr/min but only on 4" straight runs or 6" EW terracotta drains. Never put it down 90mm stormwater drains. 90mm stormwater drains are paper thin and breaking the drain under ground is easy to do with a hi pow jetter, add a couple of 90 degree bends and its hard work. I`d be dropping the Kj3000 back onto E-bay and get yourself something with some balls..

Comment

Hi rooter thanks for the info. I knew all this already about the lack of power with the kj against something that ace jetters or drainchem do for not much more at all $$$ wise. Just getting the hang of it for now and the 90mm stormy was on land in my backyard as a test thats all. You know one thing though. I had full psi and about 15m straight run with the root ranger at full tilt and didnt even punch the stormy at all.
                    I know the hose is too big mate but im thinking in the near future ill grab something around 20 to 25 lpm and at least i have the foot valve and other stuff etc. Any suggestions on bare pump/engine combos? Thanks for the advice oz

[quote=Root Ranger;230816]3000psi @ 20ltr/min using 3/8" hose = not a combination thats going to clear much at all.

Comment

ps please get back to me cause im keen to grab one.
                      Also the kj fits very nicely into my van and on a job like i was on today it would not have been possible to get anything bigger into the house and into the backyard.
                      Do you have your jetter in small trailer? Header tank? Thanks again mate

Comment

Oz, it looks like you have plenty of water flow to your machine; that's important. Big investment no matter how good the deal. I wouldn't try to adapt the larger 3/8" nozzle to the 1/4" line. It won't hurt anything, it's just that that nozzle needs more volume and should be matched with the bigger 3/8" line. Plus, it's not the line or hose that's making it difficult(but like Rick said, slipperier is betterer) it's the 3/8" metal terminal with solid, straight metal nozzle getting caught in the 90's. If the pipe were straight or only had a few 45's, might be a different story. Hope you like the new toy.

Comment

Working...
                        X