X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Drum Machine?

All I've ever used is Spartan.

100's, 300's and 1065's.

Aside from the normal wear and tear, I've been satisfied.

The drum on the 100 in my truck is rusting through. It was bought new in mid 80's i think. I was digging around in the shop and found a drum from 1975. Atleast that's what someone wrote on the inside of the drum. I'll put it in and run it until it dies.

Comment

i wish I could down load pictures off my phone. Today I showed up at a job the girl already had her toilet pulled. She said no way could I get my machine up and down her staires. and the clean out had a very small access I had to lift my machine through and crawl through to get to.

All the other guys augured through the toilet flange on the 1st floor. I know a sectional would have been perfect but I don't have a sectional. We got the machine up and down the ladderwell ( they weren't staires!!!!!) Like I said I don't care what machine it is. It must hold 125" easily. It has to go up and down staires easily. By staires I mean crappy basement staires with tight turns I guess I'll through in not wanting to take off bathroom doors. I'll try any machine that can do that. because I've tried enough that can't.

Comment

Originally posted by NYSEWERMAN View Post
        Spartan 300. It's what I learned on. I can back it up with a second drum for added footage, but rarley ever need in my area. Can break the machine down in minutes, and its a beast. Its also 43 yrs old. Original machine my father started his business with and I started mine with;motors been replaced once and inner/outer drums have been replaced several times. It has sentimental value but I'd still think its a great machine.
        I've never used any other large drum machines but Spartan. The 300 is nice size and versatile with the 100 drum...that damn 1065 is just too damn heavy.

How easy/quick is it to add another drum? I've used the 300 before but never knew I could add more cable. Isn't the cable bolted down to the drum...seems like it would take alot of time to take it apart and add cable. How do you couple it?

I've used the 300 mostly for underfloor (stack) lines and 1065 or electric eel for main sewer.

I'm also curious as to what cable you guys are using for sewers? I think the Spartan 300 we had was 75' of 5/8" cable (not positive). Do you guys clear 4"-6" mains with roots with a 1/2" cable? I'd be afraid of tying it up.

Comment

I run the .66 (i think) in my 300. I won't try and cut roots in a 6" sewer with anything smaller than 3/4".

And yes, the 1065 is a man killer.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsplumbing View Post
            I've never used any other large drum machines but Spartan. The 300 is nice size and versatile with the 100 drum...that damn 1065 is just too damn heavy.

How easy/quick is it to add another drum? I've used the 300 before but never knew I could add more cable. Isn't the cable bolted down to the drum...seems like it would take alot of time to take it apart and add cable. How do you couple it?

I've used the 300 mostly for underfloor (stack) lines and 1065 or electric eel for main sewer.

I'm also curious as to what cable you guys are using for sewers? I think the Spartan 300 we had was 75' of 5/8" cable (not positive). Do you guys clear 4"-6" mains with roots with a 1/2" cable? I'd be afraid of tying it up.
            in NY we have main house traps so access is usually really nice garage/basement area and mostly 4" to 6" mains residential.Most main line in my area are between 30 and 75 ft. So I run 5/8" ic on these and slowly chew at a root stoppage. Should I need more footage I prefer my 1065 but have piggy backed 300 drums b4.I just discon.the anchor from last length,remove drum, place in new drum and connect cable. About 10 mins. U can just add one length by disconnecting at anchor and addind it in but the drum doesn't get enough momentum.This isn't my 1st choice when cleaning a longer line but I have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by NYSEWERMAN View Post
              I just discon.the anchor from last length,remove drum, place in new drum and connect cable. About 10 mins. U can just add one length by disconnecting at anchor and addind it in but the drum doesn't get enough momentum.This isn't my 1st choice when cleaning a longer line but I have done it.
              Thanks for the response. So you leave the anchor pigtail bolted to the machine, is that right? Do you disassemble by taking out the roll pin or is it a different connection.

Could you further explain "u could just add one length". The cable only comes as a whole, its not a sectional so I didn't understand what you meant there or what you meant by losing momentum.

Thanks for any responses, we're thinking of adding another machine and I like the 300...like it even more if I could extend it like you guys say. I just never considered adding cable to any drum machine. That was always the biggest drawback for me...you could always have a blockage just out of reach of a drum machine. If it was a long run we just bring in the eel.

Please drum guys chime in and tell me about extending your cable.
              Last edited by youngsplumbing; 05-22-2009, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Another possiblity if you added another 300- run the cable into the drain unhook from machine 'A'. Hook to end of cable in machine 'B'. and have at it.

Used to do that alot when we had two 1065's.

Comment

Sorry mate not a drum guy but I have a rothenberger 1 1/4" sectional and i can go up to 250 feet without a prob and hit the hardest of roots. I mean HARD! No prob whatsoever! Drop the drum

Thanks for the response. So you leave the anchor pigtail bolted to the machine, is that right? Do you disassemble by taking out the roll pin or is it a different connection.

Could you further explain "u could just add one length". The cable only comes as a whole, its not a sectional so I didn't understand what you meant there or what you meant by losing momentum.

Thanks for any responses, we're thinking of adding another machine and I like the 300...like it even more if I could extend it like you guys say. I just never considered adding cable to any drum machine. That was always the biggest drawback for me...you could always have a blockage just out of reach of a drum machine. If it was a long run we just bring in the eel.

Comment

Originally posted by ozplumb View Post
                    Sorry mate not a drum guy but I have a rothenberger 1 1/4" sectional and i can go up to 250 feet without a prob and hit the hardest of roots. I mean HARD! No prob whatsoever! Drop the drum
                    I know the benefits of each. I wasn't trying to be the latest entry in drum vs. sectional debate. Just looking for feedback to the question I posed. As I stated earlier we have an Eel, I was looking for info on drum cable extension only...but thanks for taking the time to let us know your feelings.

Comment

Youngs. Sorry I should have explained I only buy 5/8 x 25' lengths of cable not the 5/8" x 75'. I remove roll pin from anchor, remove feeder, put new drum on clutch run cable through feeder, reinstall feeder, and attach to existing cable. I only have one machine with 2 drums so I can't piggy back machines just drums.
                      I have needed only 10-15 feet more to city main and added only one 25' length of cable from my anchor to my existing cable but the drum has no weight in it and doesn't get the same amount of momentum.

Comment

I have a Spartan 100 and 300 and a Speedrooter 90. I like the 300 the best. We run 3" & 4" lines primarily. The Speedrooter's drive mechanisim is a POS. You can't keep it clean without tearing it apart everyweek. The 100 is good for simple stoppages that aren't too far from the machine. The 300 has enough power to get the job done without being a super heavy machine. We use the .55 magnum cable and carry 100' in the drum.

About 20 years ago we had two Burtons neither one had a drive mechanism. Let me tell you, I darn near got my wrists broken several times. Another favorite of mine with those old machines was the non-waterproof sewing machine switch to activate it!
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Trent2 what is the difference between the Speedrooter 90 & 91?

Comment

I know the benefits of each. I wasn't trying to be the latest entry in drum vs. sectional debate. Just looking for feedback to the question I posed. As I stated earlier we have an Eel, I was looking for info on drum cable extension only...but thanks for taking the time to let us know your feelings.

No worries matesorry i cant help

Comment

The GO68 has 150 ft 11/16 cable in the reel, attached to the reel with a slip joint cable connector to a ten foot anchor cable.

You run the 150 ft out until the slip joint cable connector that is attaching the cable to the anchor is in between the machine and the cleanout. You disconnect the slip joint cable connector. Remove the empty reel from the machine, install a full reel, attach it to the connector, and run the 150ft out.

You can buy cable in different lengths also. Or buy a 150 ft cable, cut into lengths you prefer and add slip joint cable connectors yourself in case you just need an extra 50 ft instead of 150 ft. And keep them in the van as back up reels.

You could keep adding reels to go as far as you want theoretically, 450 ft 600 ft.

Rarely is this necessary. I work for a strip mall with a 400 ft sewer that I clean about every 9 months. One stretch is over 200 ft so I use this method.

I know you can do this with duracable machines also. Those are the only two brands of big drum machines I've used so cant comment on the others.

Roots are not a problem, I clean roots from sewers all the time with my drum machines. 11/16 is all you need on 4 to 6 inch with proper blade attachment.
                              Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 05-23-2009, 02:12 PM.

Comment

My old General had two 50' 3/4" cables. When one ran out, I would disconnect the drum leader (about 3' long) from the cable, switch drums, hook the second cable onto the first.

If you know General, you know that they use a screw with a lock washer to hook things to a cable end. Good luck if it ever falls out. Happened to me only once. I was rodding through a closet flange and the first cable came loose after cleaning the drain. I went into the crawl space and opened a cleanout at the end of the line and the cable was inches away.

Comment

Working...
                                X