Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Drum Machine?

MY FAVORITE IS THE OLD SPARTAN 300 MACHINE OR THE TROJAN PONY

BECAUSE WHILE THEY CAN DO JUST ABOUT ANY MAIN LINE THEY ARE STILL SMALL AND LITE ENOUGH TO GET IN & OUT OF BASEMENTS OR UP ON ROOF
    TOPS EVEN TWO STORY ROOFS, THOUGH ON THOSE YOU HAVE TO HAVE THAT 2ND. DRUM TO ADD.

I HAVE RUN A 1065 ALL THE WAY OUT 125' AND THEN ADDED THE 300 TO
    EXTEND THE RUN !
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I use a mixture of gorlitz, slip fit and threaded fittings with special adapters with my spartan blades and leaders
      so i can tie onto spartan,gorlitz, or roto-rooter cables
      or can have them tie into my cables and fittings
      I think this gives me the best combination of blades, cutters, and leaders to get though any type of blockadges
      Last edited by JERRYMAC; 05-24-2009, 01:01 PM.
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
        My favorite drummer is the one I never have to use.
        Can't even have one thread to ourselves

Comment

My Trusty Yellow Cobra

With a Ridgid cable of course

Been the tuffest drum I have ever owned hmmmmm come to think of it , my only drum machine, as long as the K-38 and 39AF don't count

Comment

[quote]
            Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
            The GO68 has 150 ft 11/16 cable in the reel, attached to the reel with a slip joint cable connector to a ten foot anchor cable.
            Slip joint is the only way to go. I've never ever had to worry them disconnecting or snapping.

You run the 150 ft out until the slip joint cable connector that is attaching the cable to the anchor is in between the machine and the cleanout. You disconnect the slip joint cable connector. Remove the empty reel from the machine, install a full reel, attach it to the connector, and run the 150ft out.
            One day I got tired of changing out reels for just another measly 20-30'. So I discovered you can actually get about 180' on one reel. The key is to make sure the anchor cable pulls the first layer of cable nice and even, then the second layer. After that, you can lop on all 180'.

Roots are not a problem, I clean roots from sewers all the time with my drum machines. 11/16 is all you need on 4 to 6 inch with proper blade attachment.
            No doubt. I used 3/4" before and I gotta say....it was overkill. Way too heavy to lug around for one.... two, it was tough to feel what I was hitting. Hard to negotiate turns etc. 11/16" works perfect for me. Plus, every once in awhile I'll get a stubborn sink line and can run a finger whip through the1.5 or 2" c/o's. 3/4".... not so much.
            Last edited by Twicepipes; 05-24-2009, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Dan, I have no idea what the difference is between the two speedrooters. If someone knows, I'd like to hear about it. Maybe they've upgraded the drive and I could retrofit it onto my machine!
              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

[quote=Twicepipes;231786]

Slip joint is the only way to go. I've never ever had to worry them disconnecting or snapping.---()---

One day I got tired of changing out reels for just another measly 20-30'. So I discovered you can actually get about 180' on one reel. The key is to make sure the anchor cable pulls the first layer of cable nice and even, then the second layer. After that, you can lop on all 180'.---()---

No doubt. I used 3/4" before and I gotta say....it was overkill. Way too heavy to lug around for one.... two, it was tough to feel what I was hitting. Hard to negotiate turns etc. 11/16" works perfect for me. Plus, every once in awhile I'll get a stubborn sink line and can run a finger whip through the1.5 or 2" c/o's. ---()---3/4".... not so much.
                It's like we went to the same drain cleaning school

When I first started the company I worked for used a 10 ft 3/4 anchor, 40 ft of 3/4, then 120 ft of 11/16. This was a good combination because you can get 160 ft out of the machine, the 3/4 helped push the the 11/16, and you could see when you reached the 120 ft mark because of the s/j.

Too heavy though and so would the 180 IMO.

180 would kill me dragging it through some soggy grass or sand on side of the house and rarely do I need that much. Also when pulling cable from a roof vent it tends to get loose in the reel and you need it stacked perfectly to fit 180 like you said.

I want to start carrying a 50 ft reel of 11/16 to change out when I need that extra reach. Cause pulling that heavy 150 ft reel out of the van sux. Thankfully its only about once a year.

most of the sewers I do need 60 to 120 ft. 150 feet for extra long lots or some roof vents.

Comment

[quote=HebertDrainCare;231793]
                  Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                  It's like we went to the same drain cleaning school
                  I'd be willing to bet we did, but I ain't saying anymore about it here.

When I first started the company I worked for used a 10 ft 3/4 anchor, 40 ft of 3/4, then 120 ft of 11/16. This was a good combination because you can get 160 ft out of the machine, the 3/4 helped push the the 11/16, and you could see when you reached the 120 ft mark because of the s/j.
                  I thought about doing this at one point couldn't really justify the extra money although it would make the 11/16 wrap up nicely.

Too heavy though and so would the 180 IMO.
                  Trust me, it's not by choice. Some areas I work have sewer that exit the rear of a property then wrap around the side and head out to the street. Requires around 150-165 from the BASE of the vent, not including up the ladder and down. That's a tough pull even for me. LOTS of apt. blgs. too with 150+ runs. I run into it more often than not I just suck it up and go for it. Believe me, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't carry that much.

I want to start carrying a 50 ft reel of 11/16 to change out when I need that extra reach. Cause pulling that heavy 150 ft reel out of the van sux. Thankfully its only about once a year.
                  I hear that. This may sound unprofessional, but if it's more than 180', I'm done. I haven't carried an extra reel for quite a while. If it turns they more than 180, time to dig it up and install a c/o.
                  The shop I worked REQUIRED that we carry at least an extra 120'.
                  And I did. But I cussed every time I ran out of cable with the first reel.

most of the sewers I do need 60 to 120 ft. 150 feet for extra long lots or some roof vents.
                  I wish I could be so lucky.

Still, as bad as it may sound these machines are the best performance and durability. My GO50 machine is the oldest one I own, it's at least 15-16 years old. The ONLY things I've replaced on it are wheels once and cable. The cable doesn't even really count.
                  Oh and a belt because I misaligned the motor pulley and it got shredded. The GO68HD I originally bought used 10 years ago. It needs a new switch but I don't even mind since it doesn't act up every time. The little GO15 is also about 10 years purchased new, hasn't needed a thing.

Comment

Spartan 300 and Spartan 100............PERIOD!!

Comment

When it comes to drum machines Spartan is the best, the model all depends on what you are doing with it. We have 300's (don't get used to much) 1065 is our preferred main line machine. Then the 100 with two drums (13/32 cable in one 1/2" cable in other) for sink lines and floor drains and a K-50 with the drum on it for bathtubs and lav sinks.

We own many machines by many manufactures, some that are no longer around or no longer being made. I pull some of them out of the shop for jobs they fit.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      Ron's Facebook
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Last I heard NEW Spartan was being made in China. That, in itself, does not indicate an inferior product. But some have reported here of some problems with them.

Plus, they have not made a price adjustment for the labor savings on their product and possible inferior parts. (someone posted problems in a thread. I have no experience.)

So if they are going to keep the price the same, lower some parts quality, and put the labor in China, then I would lean more heavily toward RIDGID or others.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Last I heard NEW Spartan was being made in China. That, in itself, does not indicate an inferior product. But some have reported here of some problems with them.

Plus, they have not made a price adjustment for the labor savings on their product and possible inferior parts. (someone posted problems in a thread. I have no experience.)

So if they are going to keep the price the same, lower some parts quality, and put the labor in China, then I would lean more heavily toward RIDGID or others.

J.C.
                          I did not know they are being made in China, I live about an our away from their factory. I will have to visit it one day to see what the deal is.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            I did not know they are being made in China, I live about an our away from their factory. I will have to visit it one day to see what the deal is.
                            Please report back. Because this is what a rep told me and I don't want to spread hearsay that turns into lies.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Please report back. Because this is what a rep told me and I don't want to spread hearsay that turns into lies.

Thanks.

J.C.
                              Will do.

I read the starting post to this thread and was shocked to see the guy say his machine is made in China. I will defiantly post back here the information I find out.
                              Ron's Facebook

Comment

Thanks.

J.C.
                                I heard the exact thing from an extremely reliable source.
                                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X