X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Drum Machine?

This is my first post here and after reading over and over about what the best sectional machine is I would like to know everyone's opinion on the best drum machine.

I have personally used a MyTana machine, a general speedrooter, a general T3, and a Spartan 2001.

I've been using the Spartan 2001 for some time and I like it because of its light weight and ability to break down into separate, lightweight pieces. I also like how well it does at cleaning a drain because it seems to spin the cable at a higher RPM and push the cable out a lot faster than the general or mytana.

I don't like how much of an unreliable piece of garbage it is. It's made it China and it really shows. We've had to fix quite a few things on it so far and have even had a defective cable.

I'm most interesting in hearing about lightweight drum machines or ones that come apart or even your ideas on getting a heavy machine up and down a bunch of stairs and into a truck or van.

On a side note the Spartan has the best gloves

Re: Favorite Drum Machine?

Not sure if I understand. the 2001 is unreliable?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hi,

Some people like Spartan Drum machines
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are. So far the 2001 has been somewhat unreliable for the shop I work at. Other than that I think it's a great machine.

Comment

Have not run a lot of different ones. Have various gorlitz and a duracable machine. All reliable. The gorlitz a little more compact, easier to carry in tight carpeted stairwells and hallways. They both break down pretty easily, but at maybe 60 or 80 lb (I'm guessing... never weighed them) with 90' or so of 1/2", I just lug them assembled. No real reliability problems... wrecked cables are generally operator error. They both wear out the cable feed tubes every so often. Neither likes it when you tip them up with a drum full of water and it soaks the motor; sometimes they won't run again until you dry out the motors. Like the air switch on the duracable. I've been bit when the gorlitz grabs a glove and winds me up before I can hit the switch.

what size cable you use most often? comments above refer to 1/2" and 3/8" machines. the gorlitz 3/4" I have is a monster, but they all are. many here like ridgid's bigger machines for a 3/4" machine. search 'all clear sewer' he's a big fan.

I've not really had reliability problems.... they are pretty simple machines... surprised you have... drain medic swears by spartan machines, as do many... maybe the older ones were better? I'd be bent about reliability problems on such a simple machine and have some serious discussions with mfr, probably give up and move on to another brand if no joy from that.

mostly i'd look for features you like.

I stuff anybody's cable in mine; you are not restricted to machine mfr for cable.
          Last edited by Ace Sewer; 05-19-2009, 10:26 PM.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
            This is my first post here and after reading over and over about what the best sectional machine is I would like to know everyone's opinion on the best drum machine.

I have personally used a MyTana machine, a general speedrooter, a general T3, and a Spartan 2001.

I've been using the Spartan 2001 for some time and I like it because of its light weight and ability to break down into separate, lightweight pieces. I also like how well it does at cleaning a drain because it seems to spin the cable at a higher RPM and push the cable out a lot faster than the general or mytana.

I don't like how much of an unreliable piece of garbage it is. It's made it China and it really shows. We've had to fix quite a few things on it so far and have even had a defective cable.

I'm most interesting in hearing about lightweight drum machines or ones that come apart or even your ideas on getting a heavy machine up and down a bunch of stairs and into a truck or van.

I'll only use a drum I can take apart Mytana and can hold 125' of cable with no trouble Mytana and is reliable Mytana. I like Mytana pretty good. Mostly so I can get up and down staires. You are right I think Mytana is slow to feed and retrieve. wish it was faster. But I'd try any machine that I can get up and down staires.

Comment

My two Gorlitz machines flooded under 9 feet or water in Hurricane Katrina August, 2005.

It took up to two weeks to empty the water from the city where I lived.

Then my machines were left to rust for 6 weeks until we were allowed to go back into town to see the damage.

I removed them from my truck and put them in my mom's garage in Mississippi until I came to live in our FEMA trailer over three months after the storm.

I stripped both machines, replaced the electrical parts, sanded and then painted the frames, had the motors cleaned by a professional electric motor company. $80 each.

All together I spent about $250 getting both machines back in shape.

I use both machines to this day, they are sitting in my truck right now.

The big machine (go68) which I used today, has the original motor that flooded.

About a year and a half after putting the machines back together I set up to run a K/S line, turned on my small machine, and a puff of smoke came out the back. I was happy it lasted as long as it did after what it went through.

The Gorlitz machines are very reliable. The most that goes bad on them (if you dont flood them) is the belt, the on/off switches, and feeder wheels, all of which are easy to replace. These parts last a very long time and do not need to be replaced often. The machines have easy to access grease fittings which need grease every so often.

Both machines tag teaming a sewer earlier this year.

The big machine holds 150 feet of 11/16. I carry an extra reel of 150 feet and can add to the machine to extend up to 300 feet.

Small machine uses 3/8 and 1/2 inch cables which can be easily changed out within a minute.

P.S. I highly recommend Gorlitz machines.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I have used a lot of them, I now use a General Maxi Rooter, good solid machine except reverse feed seems slow. My next drum will Be the Ridgid K-7500 because All Clear beats the snot out of his so it sounds like a tough machine.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post

they're all heavy.

Twicepipes, I think, has video of his Gorlitz machine being pulled into his van with the ramp and winch gorlitz makes for their machines.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

before i switched to sectional.

my k-7500 was the machine of choice.

i still have it along with a brand new one and 1 day it might see some action.

the plastic drum keeps it from rusting, the stair climbers work great and the gear box drive motor has the bear down torque to get it done. auto feed is easy to maintain.

a great machine and only reason why it sits is because it's smaller brother (k-60) is the boss now

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

i'm a big spartan fan. i use a 300 for mains and can put a 100 drum on the same machine for k/s lines. i've used a few others before (ridgid, general, marco, gorlitz) and prefer the spartan.

paul
                      ***** Rocksteady Plumbing *****
                      * Serving San Luis Obispo County *
                      **** (805) 237-7625 (ROCK) ****

Comment

The problems have been fairly minor but it's very annoying when something small breaks seemingly out of nowhere and a simple drain cleaning job has turned into a nightmare.

The first problem was with the auto feed. It didn't break when we were using it but was broken when we received the machine. There was something in there that was bent out of shape that wasn't allowing it to work. Then there was the defective cable. Usually I'd agree in that it's operator error that causes a cable to break, but this cable snapped the second time it was used and it wasn't under any abnormal stresses. We actually sent the cable in and they will warranty it if they find it to be defective and it failed their stress tests so we got another cable.

A few other things have gone wrong from small stupid clips breaking and being told we needed to use a spacer behind where the drum rests. It didn't come with a spacer, but we were told to use a rubber gasket that comes with 1 1/2 chrome P traps lol...

It could be because they're made in china or it could just be a "touchy" design and we're brutes with the thing. That being said, it is a powerful machine and when it's working it's great. It will power through just about anything. That reminds me, I do like the leader it comes with. It's just a piece of 1" viega or something similar but it works great and makes it a lot easier to deal with. Plus, it's a lot safer...

Those gorlitz machines seem pretty amazing though. I don't have any purchasing power at the shop, but when it comes time to get another machine I'll have the boss at least check them out :-) (and the lift!)

Comment

Originally posted by rocksteady View Post
                          i'm a big spartan fan. i use a 300 for mains and can put a 100 drum on the same machine for k/s lines. i've used a few others before (ridgid, general, marco, gorlitz) and prefer the spartan.

paul
                          The 300 does do well for mains, I do agree, I have used it as well. ( An Older One)

BTW - PAul - Welcome !!
                          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Spartan 300. It's what I learned on. I can back it up with a second drum for added footage, but rarley ever need in my area. Can break the machine down in minutes, and its a beast. Its also 43 yrs old. Original machine my father started his business with and I started mine with;motors been replaced once and inner/outer drums have been replaced several times. It has sentimental value but I'd still think its a great machine.

Comment

Originally posted by NYSEWERMAN View Post
                              Spartan 300. It's what I learned on. I can back it up with a second drum for added footage, but rarley ever need in my area. Can break the machine down in minutes, and its a beast. Its also 43 yrs old. Original machine my father started his business with and I started mine with;motors been replaced once and inner/outer drums have been replaced several times. It has sentimental value but I'd still think its a great machine.

That sounds like rocksteadys machine*(guy above us), he has an older machine as well, I think.
                              They just made stuff better in the old days thats for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X