Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
question on using electric eel sectional cable with an hitachi d13 1/2 drill Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: question on using electric eel sectional cable with an hitachi d13 1/2 drill

Most guy's will tighten the clutch down so it wont slip but that is not a big thing to lose it up, listen to the shaft bearing no moving back and forward, check for leak in gear box gasket and check the switches, and check the back of the motor winding for burned wire, But we have had one that we bought in 1960 that still works and it has seen heavy use. But after 5 years the motor will get a little weak we just bought a new one every 5 years. But the 1960 is still got enough to open anything just a little slower. We have 5 in the museum never any problem with any but the normal shaft end replacement just let the cable pull the machine in don't give it much slack pull it out the same way. Unlike the Ridgid put it in forward to run in and reverse to pull out.

Comment

Re: question on using electric eel sectional cable with an hitachi d13 1/2 drill

Thanks Dan and GT I appreciate the tips and advice. The last thing I want to do is get seriously injured.

I know these are serious machines and need to be respected. I plan on being in my house for at least another 4 years so if it is going to need to be snaked say every 4-6 months then a used electric for around 2-300 bucks will be a great investment.

thx again,
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by harveymasons View Post
        Thanks Dan and GT I appreciate the tips and advice. The last thing I want to do is get seriously injured.

I know these are serious machines and need to be respected. I plan on being in my house for at least another 4 years so if it is going to need to be snaked say every 4-6 months then a used electric for around 2-300 bucks will be a great investment.

thx again,
        Chris
        For all the messing around and inconvenience why don't you dig the pipe up and repair the problem.
        If it were my place I would repair it as i would not want it to back up at a bad time.
        From what you have said it is not tree roots and is only waste blocking up the pipe, so if you had guests it would block up sooner.
        How much belly is in the pipe?
        Was the pipe laid very flat?
        If it wasn't laid really flat you would have to ask why it has sagged in two spots.
        I am not sure because you guys have basements on how deep the pipe would be but here typically with no basements the pipes are only a couple or three feet deep, you would dig it by hand.

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon,

I have a basement with 8 foot ceiling so the pipe is burried pretty deep, between 8 and 9 feet. I considered digging it up but luck would have it the two bellies are right under the side walk @ around 32 and 34 foot and part of the street. It would be a real mess.

I think by cleaning the drain with an electric eel I may get longer times between clog ups.

I have read about that technology where they actually can put another pipe inside of your existing pipe but wouldn't it conform to what is there so basically it would be the same shape hence the same belly would exist?

thanks for your response.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by harveymasons View Post
            I have read about that technology where they actually can put another pipe inside of your existing pipe but wouldn't it conform to what is there so basically it would be the same shape hence the same belly would exist?

thanks for your response.

Chris
            Pipe bursting is where you would pull a pipe through your existing lateral but you would still need an access hole on each end. The basement would not be to bad you would have to take up some of the floor, but you would still need to dig a hole on the street side which if you are going to do all this you might as well just repair the bad spot. There are ways to try to get a belly out during bursting but require extra work which still could require excavation.

Comment

Working...
            X