Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on using electric eel sectional cable with an hitachi d13 1/2 drill

greetings all,

Has anyone used an hitachi d13 drill to turn the sectional cables? I justs bought the proper adapters sc-10 and sc -12 and plan to use this at my house where I have a bad belly in my sewer line.

I am hoping I can do this instead of spending alotof money on an electric eel machine. I just bought 5 sections of 10trs cable so I am hopong this will work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

kind regards,
    Chris

Re: question on using electric eel sectional cable with an hitachi d13 1/2 drill

sounds like a question for...............Plumber Rick

Comment

Re: question on using electric eel sectional cable with an hitachi d13 1/2 drill

If ya just have a belly get a blow bag...

If you have never attempted to run a sectional cable with a drill and are a nonpro let me be the first to tell you not to do this.

Cable management is learned... Remember you have to drive the cable from the end and your blockage is never where you just have 18-24" out of the cleanout, luck has it that you will hit your blockage with a full section of cable out. When this happens it takes a learned touch not to get wrapped up, this will happen in a second.

The cheap way is NOT the right way in this instance...

Blowbag, then call a drain cleaner IMO.

You will thank me

Comment

Originally posted by harveymasons View Post
        greetings all,

Has anyone used an hitachi d13 drill to turn the sectional cables? I justs bought the proper adapters sc-10 and sc -12 and plan to use this at my house where I have a bad belly in my sewer line.

I am hoping I can do this instead of spending alotof money on an electric eel machine. I just bought 5 sections of 10trs cable so I am hopong this will work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

kind regards,
        Chris
        Just Curious where you bought the adapters?
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Hi guys,

It's not just a belly, I have roots as well. all this chaos is about 32 - 34 feet out from my clean out.

I have been managing with a 1/2 inch cable 75 foot drum snake but I think going sectional will be a good investment for me as I own several investment properties and there are roots as well inmy 4 inch CI drain. While I am by no means an expert I have learned alot by using my 75 foot drum snake and understand how easily cable can be kinked and how quickly you can get hurt. I have been snaking my main line for about 2 years roughly every 3-4 months. Just cannot afford to get the line replaced at this point.

I purchased the adapers and 10TRS cables from a warehouse in NJ.
          IF you guys really think I should not attempt the drill method then I may try and buy a used eel model c. I have an opportunity to get one for 200 dollars just the machine. Then I will just need the cutting heads.

Can anyone make a suggestion as to which head or heads to purchase? And lastly will I need to stick to electric eel heads b/c I am using the electric eel 10TRS cables? I believe these are L connectors?

as always thanks in advance,
          Chris

regards,
          Chris
          Last edited by harveymasons; 05-21-2009, 09:55 PM.

Comment

chris, there are a few of us that basically do exactly what you're asking.

gene bickford was the one that introduced me and probably the rest of this forum to that method

i used mine today

here is the low down on it.

it is not a safe or recommended way of running that 1.25'' cable. we do it as we have tons of experience and 1 day it will come to haunt us

not saying it can't be done, but if you have no drain cleaning experience, this would be taking a large, dangerous risk.

even other plumbers and drain guys who have seen me do it are amazed at the power and danger of what i'm using.

i use the dewalt timberwolf with the low gear clutch. 300 rpm and you need to know the limits and torque range.

honestly, i would not recommend it for a novice

please think twice before you attempt to do it.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by harveymasons View Post
              Hi guys,

It's not just a belly, I have roots as well. all this chaos is about 32 - 34 feet out from my clean out.

I have been managing with a 1/2 inch cable 75 foot drum snake but I think going sectional will be a good investment for me as I own several investment properties and there are roots as well inmy 4 inch CI drain. While I am by no means an expert I have learned alot by using my 75 foot drum snake and understand how easily cable can be kinked and how quickly you can get hurt. I have been snaking my main line for about 2 years roughly every 3-4 months. Just cannot afford to get the line replaced at this point.

I purchased the adapers and 10TRS cables from a warehouse in NJ.
              IF you guys really think I should not attempt the drill method then I may try and buy a used eel model c. I have an opportunity to get one for 200 dollars just the machine. Then I will just need the cutting heads.

Can anyone make a suggestion as to which head or heads to purchase? And lastly will I need to stick to electric eel heads b/c I am using the electric eel 10TRS cables? I believe these are L connectors?

as always thanks in advance,
              Chris

regards,
              Chris
              Nothing personal but you need to hire a pro.

Disclaimer: If you have thin skin stop reading now because I'm going to make a few negative assumptions based on the information you have provided.

When I hear I have other "investment properties" that is code for another cheap-o landlord... If you don't have the money to hire a drain cleaner then you don't have the money to properly manage your properties (slumlord) or you are a cheapskate who believes they are being taken advantage of no matter what price they are given. Either way sell a few of those "Investment Properties" and make the ones you keep habitable, I'm sure your tenants will thank you.

If you have the drains cleaned by a professional you will get alot more time between cleanings because you assume that you are actually cleaning the drains with that little drum when all you are doing is poking holes in the rootmass, a pro will actually Clear and Clean the line.

How would you like it if @ paycheck time you did not get one because your company decided to get it's IT advice from the internet rather then pay you.... If the shoe was on the other foot you would squeel.

You are not a DIY'er you are a property management business.

From one business owner to another you can't have it both ways.

Comment

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response and honest opinion. I do haev experience with a drum snake and I know that by no means takes the place of experience using a sectional cable machine. Given what I am reading here I think I am goin to look into picking up that used electric eel model C and doing it the safer way. I just have to make sure I have enough room as my cleanout is in a small room with tight quarters.

can you answer my other question about if I need to stick with electric eel cutting heads if i am using the electric eel 10trs cables? These cables use the L connection I believe? ANd I guess that is what comes on the electric eel cutting tools? Lastly can you reccommend a good head or two for a 4 inch CI drain that has a belly, roots and occasional grease from an abusive tenant.

thanks in advance,

Chris

Comment

chris, "general snakes/ general wire" also make the l connector and g connector. their l connector is the same as the eel.

i prefer a spiral root saw. also for sludge and grease, i prefer a 4 tooth cutter/ spade.

the eel uses a push cart method for running it's cables.

i have a general 82/88 that is pretty much the same. also the ridgid k-1500

the 1500 is a stationary machine with rear guide hose.

truthfully running a drill or push cart machine inside of a house/ apartment, is not the best idea. the 1500 or drum machine is better and safer.

think twice about what i and others are advising.

i'm not concerned about the money. it's the safety issue that has me concerned

any chance of posting a picture of the working conditions?

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

How often do u need these sewer lines cleaned? Have u tried setting a maintanance plan with a drain cleaner? All my maintanance customers are charged a lower fee. It may be worth it to at least check it out.Has this line been camera inspected? Please at least get an inspection so u know exactly what's going on inside the pipe before u try this approach.

Comment

I had used a drill with my eel cable when I use to pump septic tanks. I just used the front shaft of a model c cut down I used this for 25 years but without a slip clutch that drill some times hit fast and would give you a good lick or twist your arm. I stopped using it and just come back with my drilling rig and took off the service trip. I liked the C cutters they didn't get hung as much on roots but you need the round saw if the bottom of the pipe is rusted out and you can make an adapter to use the Ridgid cutters. But your talking about a big cable that can break an arm or worse not a 1/2 " unless you really know what your doing try to find a 1500 the eel cable will work fine in it too. The eel is for when you have a lot of room and no carpet. that is why I switched.

Comment

Thanks again for the responses. Iwill try to get a picture of the work space. IT is in a basement in a small romm with the clean out on the floor where it meets the wall.

I have had someone in who ran an electric eel and it totally blew me away watching that thing go! Once I saw that I said to myself this 1/2 drum sname is really a toy compared to that thing.

I did have the line camered by my town and it appears to have two bellies @ around 32 feet in, and 34 feet in. It is a straight run right to the city connect. Total run is 47 feet.

Like I said I bought 50 foot of electric eel 1.25 cable and I have the hitachi d13 so I ordered the two adapters so I could use the drill instead of the big model C. My thinking was since it was in tight quarters it would be easier using the drill. But I know you guys know what your talking about and I am really having 2nd thoughts about using the drill now.

I have a good opportunity to pick up a used electric eel model C for 200 dollars local to me so I think I am gonna to take a look that instead of the drill option.

As far as getting the lines cleaned usually am able to get it cleared with my drum machine but the last time I wasn't able to so I had a guy come in with his electric eel and got it cleared very quickly, IW as really blown away by this machine. But roughtly I seem to get blockages once every 3-4 months on the average and like I said I have a couple of properties so I think buying one of these will be a good investment.

I plan on looking at the used eel tomorrow, is there anything glaring I should be aware of or look out for when inspecting this machine? All it comes with is the machine nothign else. I bought a spanning wrench and all I need are a few heads at thish point.

as always thanks Rick and everyone else for your input and suggestions.

regards,
                        Chris

Comment

the eel is nothing more than a gear box/ speed reducer and motor. it should have a clutch at the front end that the cable connects to.

plug it in and listen to the machine run. watch for any play in the shaft.

take a section of cable with you and very carefully attempt to put it under a load. this is how i would attempt to do it. either run the machine into a real drain stoppage with all your cable.

or wrap a large towel/ rag around the cable and put something heavy on it to slow it down. that's where it gets scary. listen to the motor bear down. the clutch is adjustable, but is preset to a safe torque.

if you do use this indoors. i would put down some plywood or masonite.

outdoors is where this excels.

post pictures and be careful. see if the seller has any real life tips and tricks to keep you safe.

not much else, other than a good switch and decent wheels.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for your help Rick I truly appreciate it.

Hopefully this eel will be halfway decent.

Will let you know.

regards,
                            Chris

Comment

When I was being trained on these machines years ago I was going to fast. I hit the clog and it bound up in the back end wrapping my finger up and almost ripped it off. These machines are no joke! Just go slow and take it easy and Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about. Also you mentioned your properties have roots I am not going to say it but ask these guys what to use after you snaked out the line.

Comment

Working...
                              X