X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetting a sink; links to vids

Ok, so, its less than perfect vid. My camera-person was the property manager who kindly obliged.

For the record, I did not do this install or whack out the drywall at the washer; someone else had put in the washer box in, tieing into the sink line, and the drywall had yet to be put back in.

The vid of the pipe at the end is post jetting; no sound on this as I turned the mic down because I was getting feedback, and accidentally turned it all the way off. It's done with the micro drain, plugged into a color toolcase, recorded via vid outs to a cheap aiptek digital camcorder. The aiptek did the other vids as well. Could have been done with the mini probably too. I have the micro so am using it a bunch to see what can be done with it before I decide if I'm getting one for each van.

This was not a plugged up tight line; it was a slow drainer/resticted line. A little atypical in that it took a long while to fill the line and spill water back, and less than full flow came back when it finally did, and it was clear water. Not really much different that the typical sink line. I was about an hour even making the vids.

This is part 1; set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmmvRN0Vfo8

These are part 2, jetting... broke into 2 parts because of length, and has a thingie in the middle of the screen because I was too cheap to buy the software that let me break it in 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPou41DvF7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzoIGIcCqL4

Part 3, done and testing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwS7zm-qkg

And a post-jet vid of the line; no sound as said above, long waits are when I was talking thinking it would mean something to someone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNQsciDMxKk

Go team jetter!
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: jetting a sink; links to vids

Nice work. Where'd you get a MicroDrain to use?

J.C.

Comment

There are field testers among us

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Nice work. Where'd you get a MicroDrain to use?

J.C.

Comment

Nice Alex,

I didn't see any problems with the piping really

It's hard to tell distances between the jetter push and camera pulling back. Do you think the stoppage was at the 1:55 mark of the video?

Cute jetter, who makes it?

Comment

No chance of loss of pressure at the jetter head when only tighting the nozzle by hand? If you rotate the micrdrain cable, will it show the entire pipe? In some shots, there was only a little bit of pipe showing. Thanks for the vid. Really enjoyed it.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thank You Alex.
            I understood twisting the hose to negotiate fittings justs easier to develope a mental picture when someone who has done it for years shows you.
            Which tip did you switch to? All reverse no forward?
            I see that the 30'(?) works well for you on most of your 2" branch work.

Again...Thanks

Comment

Thanks,

Not nearly as bad as I thought with the plastic and being able to see into the t to make sure you go down vent.

Do you do this where there is a 90 in the wall or 45 on the arm before the vent and cant see the nozzle going down?

Galvanized?

Awesome video, thanks.

Josh, I'd like to officially volunteer for the next round of field testing.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

alex, nice to be able to share the process with everyone.

so here is my critique of it

you really need a foot valve for 2 reasons.

#1 safety. a foot jetter with no foot valve is like a snake with no foot switch. sure the machine is very close to you, but when a hose breaks and you get blasted, the only thing that you need to do is step off the pedal. a natural reaction. or at least a spray gun as this will also help you rotate the hose and give you the safety valve.

#2 the foot valve or the spray gun will allow you to pulse the hose on, off better than a pulsation valve and allow you to negotiate the tight turns.

i rarely use my pulsation valve on any of my jetters and the foot valve does the work of pulsation.

#3 what about gloves

that jetter look like a very similar model that i also use.

2.1.gpm 1500 psi, 2 h.p.

by the way, nice job of documenting the work and process. much easier for everyone that hasn't jetted to follow along

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  Nice Alex,

I didn't see any problems with the piping really

It's hard to tell distances between the jetter push and camera pulling back. Do you think the stoppage was at the 1:55 mark of the video?

Cute jetter, who makes it?
                  Stoppage was at ~25'. popped it at about 3:00 of the third vid. I'd thought I had popped it earlier as wan't getting water back at first. That was beacuse this clog did allow slow drainage and was 25' down and so it took a while to fill the system up to where I was. Tough to see but did start getting water back into bucket at about 2:35 of that video.

re piping; I just didn't like that the stack was in the cabinet, not the wall, and I don't lke aav's, and didn't like that the drywall was busted out around the washer.

Jetter is made by AR. Converted homowner carwash pressure washer. It"s the one I like for it, but there are many options.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    No chance of loss of pressure at the jetter head when only tighting the nozzle by hand? If you rotate the micrdrain cable, will it show the entire pipe? In some shots, there was only a little bit of pipe showing. Thanks for the vid. Really enjoyed it.
                    Hand tight works fine; just be careful to twist the hose only when under pressure o you don't unscrew a nozzle in the line.

The Micro-drain I've got has a safety cable too short that pulls the head to kind of perma-pan. that is why you only see the side of the pipe in some shots. This is to be fixed. Micro-drain pushrod is less able to translate a twist at the operator end to the camera head than other cmera cables I've used. I think some torsional ridgidity was sacrificed to get the pliability that lets it do toilet traps.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                      Thanks,

Not nearly as bad as I thought with the plastic and being able to see into the t to make sure you go down vent.

Do you do this where there is a 90 in the wall or 45 on the arm before the vent and cant see the nozzle going down?

Galvanized?

Awesome video, thanks.

Josh, I'd like to officially volunteer for the next round of field testing.

90's, 45's no problem. Galvanized tough to get past more than one bend; it is the threaded fittings; they bend so tight, and then you have the lip made by the wall thickness of the next pipe to get over. cinh no problem, abs/pvc no problem, copper dwv no problem. Anything threaded or pvc pressure 90's is gonna get tough.

I commonly to back to back lavs with this. I can jet many urinals through the trap without taking them off the wall. Worst one was back to back kitchen sinks, 14' with 2 90's and 2 45's before you get to the cross to make the drop. I ended up with a camera in that one to watch myself into the drop.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Thank You Alex.
                        I understood twisting the hose to negotiate fittings justs easier to develope a mental picture when someone who has done it for years shows you.
                        Which tip did you switch to? All reverse no forward?
                        I see that the 30'(?) works well for you on most of your 2" branch work.

Again...Thanks
                        The twist is a couple of things; helps get through things on the way in, and I like to slowly wist on the way back to move my jets so they cover more of the walls. If you look at the vid of the pipe, there are some spots half way through or so where I pause for a while looking at the wall of the pipe. The diagonal whiite stripes in the scum on the wall are from the jetter nozzle going by there while I am twisting it.

I switched to a similar tip, 1 forward, 6 back, about 1" in diameter. The little button I use to pierce things, then finish with the larger nozzle. in this case, the button got hung up at the san t at the bottom, so I switched to the larger one to see if it moved through better.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          alex, nice to be able to share the process with everyone.

so here is my critique of it

you really need a foot valve for 2 reasons.

#1 safety. a foot jetter with no foot valve is like a snake with no foot switch. sure the machine is very close to you, but when a hose breaks and you get blasted, the only thing that you need to do is step off the pedal. a natural reaction. or at least a spray gun as this will also help you rotate the hose and give you the safety valve.

#2 the foot valve or the spray gun will allow you to pulse the hose on, off better than a pulsation valve and allow you to negotiate the tight turns.

i rarely use my pulsation valve on any of my jetters and the foot valve does the work of pulsation.

#3 what about gloves

that jetter look like a very similar model that i also use.

2.1.gpm 1500 psi, 2 h.p.

by the way, nice job of documenting the work and process. much easier for everyone that hasn't jetted to follow along

rick.

I can see the argument for the foot valve, but just have never had one so don't really know what I'm missing. I'm comfortable enough with it as is that I don't want to mess with the system. I can carry it all in one trip right now. I know you like the trigger wand but that just sounds like a pain to me.

Yes, I am the gloveless wonder. I decided a while ago that the idea that the gloves were keeping my hands clean was rediculous. I think it's easier to scrub up after every job and before each meal than to rely on gloves to keep me clean (which they don't really) and have to work with them on and not feel anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            I can see the argument for the foot valve, but just have never had one so don't really know what I'm missing. I'm comfortable enough with it as is that I don't want to mess with the system. I can carry it all in one trip right now. I know you like the trigger wand but that just sounds like a pain to me.

Yes, I am the gloveless wonder. I decided a while ago that the idea that the gloves were keeping my hands clean was rediculous. I think it's easier to scrub up after every job and before each meal than to rely on gloves to keep me clean (which they don't really) and have to work with them on and not feel anything.

If you won't wear gloves for your own health think of family and friends...

We deal with waaaaay to much nasty to not wear a glove.

A 3 mil polly glove is like a second skin when sized properly and @ 6 bucks per 100 won't break the bank. ( I buy mine from AirGas).

Okie

Comment

How do you decide which drains to jet?This particular sink seems like it would have been easier to snake.

Obviously, it worked but the extra set up time on the jetter does not seem worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X