Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Counter?

I mentioned earlier.

Couldn't something similar be adapted to a drum to count distance? Calibrate it to the drum rotation=x amount of cable through the autofeed?

J.C.

http://www.cateye.com/

Re: Drum Counter?

why not just paint marks on the cable. I ve never liked drum machines only sectional.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
      I ve never liked drum machines only sectional.
      You just keep opening those cans of worms....
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Can of worms?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
          Can of worms?
          T&M vs flat rate, and drum vs sectional are both pretty hot issues among any gathering of plumbers, you've commented on both, it's an easy way to start a pretty heated discussion
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

jc. pi d. the only way a counter will work is if all the cable has the same size loop in the drum. pi d. pi = 3.14159265. 3.14 is good enough. if d = 16', pi d = 50.24". if d =12", pi d = 37.68". a 12.56" difference. i don't have a drum to measure, but each revolution would be different. if you folks can't do the math, post the diameters. i will be glad to do it for you. breid

Comment

Cool

Comment

I've never really felt a need. Probably because I tend not to use auto feed; I prefer to shove it in by hand. I keep an estimate of how much I've pushed in my head as I push it.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  jc. pi d. the only way a counter will work is if all the cable has the same size loop in the drum. pi d. pi = 3.14159265. 3.14 is good enough. if d = 16', pi d = 50.24". if d =12", pi d = 37.68". a 12.56" difference. i don't have a drum to measure, but each revolution would be different. if you folks can't do the math, post the diameters. i will be glad to do it for you. breid
                  Maybe you're correct or I just don't understand your idea for a calculation.

My thinking is the loop in the drum is completely redundant and unnecessary in the calculation.

The distance calculation is based more on the drum revolutions in relation to the auto-feed speed.

J.C.

Comment

Trouble is people use the auto feed differently some use it to feed the cable in slow as others fast. So I wouldn't think the rotation of the drum is going to help in the calculation of how much cable you feed out.

Now you could add another set of wheels that would be in constant contact of the cable that are in line of the cable, so as the cable moves forward or backward it would spin these wheels. Not the rotation of the cable or drum.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Typically the auto feed puts out more or less cable/rev depending on how tight you've got it cinched down and how hard you've got the lever thrown over. I think an easier way to do it would be to have an encoder that counts revs of the cable guide tube relative to the drum, then feeds that data to a screen that turns it into an approximate distance based on the average diameter of a loop of cable. I think this is more or less how the seesnake reels count distance; they don't know distance, they know revs.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

The "eye" could possible be mounted to count the cable revolutions out of the autofeed.

Got to be made durable though.

J.C.

Comment

wasn't there a prototype of something like this on a 7500 at the roundup?

Comment

Don't know. Not at any RoundUp.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Maybe you're correct or I just don't understand your idea for a calculation.

My thinking is the loop in the drum is completely redundant and unnecessary in the calculation.

The distance calculation is based more on the drum revolutions in relation to the auto-feed speed.

J.C.
                              breid used the calculation for the circumference of a circle, which is pi times the diameter. The basic problem is that the cable resting on the outside of the drum is going to be longer than the cable resting on the inside of the drum. On each revolution you won't know whether the cable is coming from the inside or outside; so there could be a relatively big difference based on where the cable is coming from.

A while ago someone posted a simple trick they used by just marking the cable with pipe dope. Maybe something more permanent like multicolored electrical tape would work. Using 3 colors, and 10 foot increments, you could get a about 100 feet marked out.

Comment

Working...
                              X