X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K7500 Autofeed question?

The autofeeder on my K7500 quit working. Are there replacement parts available, or is a new autofeed my only option? Getting kind of tired of manually handling this cable. Now I know how you K60 guys feel.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: K7500 Autofeed question?

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
    The autofeeder on my K7500 quit working. Are there replacement parts available, or is a new autofeed my only option? Getting kind of tired of manually handling this cable. Now I know how you K60 guys feel.
    typically all that wears out are the 3 feed bearings. very simple fix.

p.s. you really don't want to race me in 7500 vrs. k60 job.

it's more than how fast the cable is fed. it's the total job from truck to c/o to truck.

and last time i checked the auto feed rate is 22fpm. my k-60 will feed as fast as i can feed it. which is faster than 22fpm

see you in september

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The K-7500 auto-feed is a simple rebuild where replacing the 3 bearings is all it usually takes.

Periodic cleaning and greasing between rebuilds is a life extender for sure.
      I use a water-resistant wheel bearing grease designed for boat trailers.
      I find it works for me...

411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        typically all that wears out are the 3 feed bearings. very simple fix.

p.s. you really don't want to race me in 7500 vrs. k60 job.

it's more than how fast the cable is fed. it's the total job from truck to c/o to truck.

and last time i checked the auto feed rate is 22fpm. my k-60 will feed as fast as i can feed it. which is faster than 22fpm

see you in september

rick.
        If memory serves me correctly it was a drum machine that won last years competition. I highly doubt you can feed faster than 22fpm by the time you unroll and disconnect the cable from the reel, add another section of cable to the current cable in the machine, that is assuming you don't have a hose guide to worry about. The only way I would use a sectional is if I was on a rooftop or billing T & M. However, if Obama mandates we all drive little tin cups I may have to get one to put in my Prius.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
          If memory serves me correctly it was a drum machine that won last years competition. I highly doubt you can feed faster than 22fpm by the time you unroll and disconnect the cable from the reel, add another section of cable to the current cable in the machine, that is assuming you don't have a hose guide to worry about. The only way I would use a sectional is if I was on a rooftop or billing T & M. However, if Obama mandates we all drive little tin cups I may have to get one to put in my Prius.
          if memory serves me right, you weren't there

i rather doubt you have a clue what the contest was all about so i will explain it in 6 seconds.

larry/ steam operator/ marks son in law won the contest against all the other drain guys there

he never even turned the machine on he muscled the cable hand over hand 40' down the 4'' pipe and smashed through the 1/2'' fiber sound board with the spade cutter.

so if you really think that was a drain cleaning competition, you have a lot to learn about drain cleaning. but then again you weren't there

but i can tell you it took me 66 seconds to hand cut, hand ream, hand thread and screw a fitting on 1'' black pipe with all manual tools. that was a realistic event as there were no short cuts to fudge the results.

still want to race

i do

see you in september

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

i rather doubt you have a clue what the contest was all about so i will explain it in 6 seconds.

larry/ steam operator/ marks son in law won the contest against all the other drain guys there

he never even turned the machine on he muscled the cable hand over hand 40' down the 4'' pipe and smashed through the 1/2'' fiber sound board with the spade cutter.

so if you really think that was a drain cleaning competition, you have a lot to learn about drain cleaning. but then again you weren't there

but i can tell you it took me 66 seconds to hand cut, hand ream, hand thread and screw a fitting on 1'' black pipe with all manual tools. that was a realistic event as there were no short cuts to fudge the results.

still want to race

i do

see you in september

rick.
            Ah Too Late!
            I already wheeled my K-7500 in, cleared the line, and put it away again...
            I'm out in the truck printing the invoice...

I consider sectionals to be the choice of masochists...
            411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
              Ah Too Late!
              I already wheeled my K-7500 in, cleared the line, and put it away again...
              I'm out in the truck printing the invoice...

I consider sectionals to be the choice of masochists...
              As I stated before e I get bored of clearing drains with the same machine, so I switch them up. I thought at one time it would take longer to clear a drain with a sectional machine, to my surprise I did it in the same amount of time it would of taken me with my drum machine. So what I learned was they both work really well and do the job, but the key to any machine is knowing how to use it and do the job right with it. Most guys that learned on sectional machines have a hard time working with a drum machine, some even get hurt not realizing they need to "feel" what the cutter is doing in the pipe and pull on the cable when it gets just enough torque. Now where as guys that learned on drum machines try using a sectional have troubles with the idea of hooking up 15' sections and letting the cutter do all the work like a hole saw, They try to torque their way through the blockage, but the sectional machine does not work with torque it works on the speed of the cutter and keeping it free spinning.

Now Rick if you could please post a picture of how you use a Timber Wolf to clear drains. I am very interested in seeing this. Thanks
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

But devine is right. hahaha
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[QUOTE=

Now Rick if you could please post a picture of how you use a Timber Wolf to clear drains. I am very interested in seeing this. Thanks [/QUOTE]

had to switch computers to find some pitctures.

1.25'' innercore sectional with my original black and decker timberwolf drill. now i use my yellow dewalt timberwolf.

notice the size of the roots

they were over 20' long, but the plumber started by cutting out over 10' of pipe and then called me to snake it out.

rick.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-06-2009, 12:51 PM.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

That is impressive. Where did you get the adapter to chuck up into the drill, or did you make that yourself? I have been cleaning drains for a long time and never would of thought of using a drill like that.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

When it kinks up and smacks you in the balls, you will be wondering why you tried it

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        When it kinks up and smacks you in the balls, you will be wondering why you tried it
                        so will joey

only time to be real concerned is when you're only in a couple of feet and you hit resistance.

prime example is the dog pounds i've had to clear out 6'' traps with concrete and that was only a couple of feet of cable in. torques real fast and you need to be easy on the trigger.

but remember a 200# spinning drum/ flywheel in the same job would be suicide

the more cable out, the more reaction time the less out the faster you need to react. much worse with a drum as you have the flywheel affect.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          That is impressive. Where did you get the adapter to chuck up into the drill, or did you make that yourself? I have been cleaning drains for a long time and never would of thought of using a drill like that.
                          pretty simple design. i ordered the front chuck off the general #88 machine. similar to the eel. it comes off the front of the gear reducer.

it available either with a 5/8'' shaft or 1/2'' shaft. i ordered the 5/8'' and inserted a grade 5 5/8'' bolt that was not threaded on the last few inches. i then drilled the hole for the pin to pin it to the adapter. i also turned down the 5/8'' end to 1/2'' for my drill and cut a hex into the shaft so it wouldn't loosen in the chuck.

pretty simple design and a very fast keyless way to add cable.

i chose the general cable over the ridgid cable as it comes in 10' sections. i also have a 4' section that i use when the going gets tuff.

i've been known to run 30' of cable exposed on the ground and let it thread its way in and reverse it back out.

you really need to get a good feel for it and know when to let off. also never ever use high speed

always low speed 300rpm

very fast and very portable. great for drains above the ground.

i will be making my 5/8'' sectional adapter for my 3/8'' drill next. it's 7.5' sections and should work great. not sure if i can do 7/8'' as it's 15' sections and could pose a serious risk

plus i don't want to make my k-60 jealous
                          i still have to sleep with her

word of caution to everyone

this is not an approved or safe method of drain cleaning. use at your own risk and don't come here asking why your head is wrapped up in a cable

but for the few that feel comfortable with this method you know what i'm talking about

come to think of it, where's gene bickford been hiding

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I will give a big operator safety advantage to the sectional machine. Speaking of inertia, About a month ago I got my glove caught in the cable on the 7500 at only about 10' in. It really grabbed my arm wanting to rip it off. Luckily one solid tug and the 3/4" cable snapped in half. Just glad I wasn't using an innercore cable. My question is what kind of handwear works best, and can I splice back together this cable?

Comment

Call me crazy but,

If you broke a 3/4" cable by giving it a solid tug, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the cable should not be repaired.

Comment

Working...
                              X