question for Rick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for Rick

I am rodding a storm drain from the roof. Using a camera, I located the jam, about 54 out, at a wye. I pulled back some smaller debris clumps. This is gatorade bottles, duct tape, pop cans, gloves and rope. I have used a root cutter, saw tooth cutter, C-cutter and a retrieval hook. My machine is a K-500 with 1-1/4" cables. Any tips?

Re: question for Rick

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
    I am rodding a storm drain from the roof. Using a camera, I located the jam, about 54 out, at a wye. I pulled back some smaller debris clumps. This is gatorade bottles, duct tape, pop cans, gloves and rope. I have used a root cutter, saw tooth cutter, C-cutter and a retrieval hook. My machine is a K-500 with 1-1/4" cables. Any tips?

Yeah, use a jetter, a cable in a storm drain is silly.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

The station had their hydro-laze guys work on this already, they couldn't get it. That's why they called me. I can rent a jetter that gets about 1200psi. I would rather not, though, getting water to it is a *****. There is no access to the line in the plant, it's about 40' above the floor.

Comment

Ridgid makes some real nice funnel augers for the 1 ΒΌ" cables that will do the job nicely. And Kudo's on having a K-500 I have the old time K-500 with the 2 HP motor. Loves blowing breakers all the time.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Though my name is not Rick

A few sections of IC may keep you from bouncing on the blockage.

Sharpen the tip (end of the wire that is the opening of your auger) so you know it is gonna bite whatever it hits...

You may also try a straight auger so you are taking smaller bites (This may losen things up a bit)

Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Comment

what size pipe is plugged? is that 54' horizontal or is it 54' of vertical drop?

sounds like the roof strainer/ grate was removed or vandals had some fun.

forget the 1200#jetter unless it's a high flow older model.

what you need is a camera to determine what you're up against.

is it built up layers of silt or is it more debris like cans and bottles, sticks, rags.

i find that my reverse auger will do a good job at catching the debris and pulling it out.

problem with standard augers are they are weak at the joint and will break. broke 4 in 1 day and came up with my own auger.

plus you can bend the last few inches and customize it to work on anything.

still might need jetting once you get out the solid junk. also replace the roof strainer so it doesn't happen again.

need more info or a picture to really give you my best guess.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

It's a 54' drop. It's all debris, mostly plastic bottles, pop cans and duct tape. I am having my apprentice straighten out one of our augers. I will post back later.

Comment

Sounds like a vac truck would do the trick pretty quick.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                  It's a 54' drop. It's all debris, mostly plastic bottles, pop cans and duct tape. I am having my apprentice straighten out one of our augers. I will post back later.

still would like to know the pipe size

you have a 54' vertical drop. 1 issue is the cable wants to feed in due to gravity and the total weight of the cable. is there any way to access the line from the other end?

sounds like it would be easier to locate the line/stoppage and remove the debris. pulling all that stuff back up a 54' drop is lots of work. i'm assuming that all you do is drop the cable lengths into the line and they fall into the line most of the way with little effort. still lots of effort to retrieve them.

at this point sounds like you need to look into the other direction or cutting the line.

but if you only have the roof to work with, then a sharpened auger will be your best bet as you want to retrieve the items and not necessarily push them into the unknown.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Success!

We got it! The jam was at the junction of the leader and the main. This plant was built in 1955, and the storm drains are galvanized. The fittings aren't sweeps. This was a tee, not a wye. Sam heated up a retrieval hook and straightened out the tip, and sharpened it. I believe the trash was stuffed down the drain deliberately. All of the drains have domes on them. Anyhoo,
                    chalk one up for the good guys. The roof drains are all 5", for about 15 foot, then they hit 6" X 5" wyes, the cleanouts plugs are really weird, they are steel, and you need a special spanner for them. The 6" drops another 35' into a 8" or 10" header. Rick, there is really no access, because the header is about 40' above the turbine deck. We hit the jam with that sharpened hook, and it let go. Nothing came back on the hook. We put a hose in the drain and ran it for 15 minutes, then cameraed again, nothing.
                    Last edited by Bogart; 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X