X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetting from a busy sidewalk

had a jetting job that was on a very commercial touristy street the other day. since i work alone i had to take precautions to prevent anyone from tripping on my hoses.

so i got creative and used some mcgyver? strategy

i was working inside of a bar on the 6'' sewer main via the 4'' c/o. needed to jet out to the city main 56' away and cut out all the ficus roots for a reline job.

finding parking in front of the business was the key to success. using the very same ficus tree for support was ironic

need to fill my 300 gallon tank and get my 1/2'' jetter hose safely into the bar. this was my method

throw 2 15' tie strap tied together over the lowest limb of the tree in the sidewalk. then hoist up my hoses with the strap and tie them off to lift them from 15' high to door height/ 6'8'' at the building.

worked like a charm and nobody even the cops complained

knocked out all the roots with my warthog 1/2'' nozzle and the job is a prime canidate for a reline.

p.s. the few sewer dig bids were into the $50,000 range as it's a very commercial touristy street.

also look how the other guys do it from the big franchise comapnies

rick.

my way

the other guys way

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-06-2009, 02:03 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: jetting from a busy sidewalk

Why is Josh in so many of your pictures?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Why is Josh in so many of your pictures?

Mark
      why do you think every tall geeky guy looks like josh

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        why do you think every tall geeky guy looks like josh

rick.
        You must be looking at a different picture than me.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          You must be looking at a different picture than me.

Mark
          mark, you really need to wipe your nose

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

That tree seemed to be a huge help. Now what would of yo done if there was no tree?
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              That tree seemed to be a huge help. Now what would of yo done if there was no tree?
              Lay it on the ground like everyone else.Or have a helper.
              We don't have any pictures of that at this time.

Comment

Why couldn't you rig a boom off the top of your van to swing out with a place for the hoses to attach. You would have to have the premium parking spot for it to be usefull, but it might be worth it when there is no tree.
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

i got lucky with parking. originally i was a few doors down at 9am. most stores don't open til 10am. so i checked the meters and the 2 that i needed had less than 30 minutes left in them

the key one belonged to the clean up guy at the bar and he was just finishing cleaning up the puke from the night before

i had planned to get there before it got busy. bar doesn't open til 9pm.

normally i don't have to worry about parking the jetter and truck as most is in residential or commercial with parking spots.

hardest time i had was right after 9/11. had a job i was subbed for at lax airport. too bad i didn't know mark or his son at the time.

took longer to gain access than to do the job
                  they wanted to check my truck with all my bins. 15,000# of goods.

no problem, remember you guys called me for the job. plus i was hourly either working or waiting

turned out good and it was the first job i actually ran and jetted all 400' of hose in the line. didn't think it could pull 400' at a time had many locations and filling 300 gallons at a time was also fun.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Mark, didnt you know that Rick photoshops me into random pictures. He just wants his pictures to be more interesting so he throws me in there. Then they are worth looking at

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      Mark, didnt you know that Rick photoshops me into random pictures. He just wants his pictures to be more interesting so he throws me in there. Then they are worth looking at
                      In another thread, he photo shopped you into a photo at Muscle Beach kicking his butt in a rope climb.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                        kinda like wher's waldo
                        Mike
                        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

At nuke plants, they make us run welding leads and power cords overhead, no trip hazards allowed. Sometimes you gotta put on fall protection and climb something, just to rig everything overhead and out of the way.
                          Rick, kudos for thinking safety, by the way. As I am getting older, the get er dun! attitude doesn't cut it. I want to get it done safely.

Comment

I have seen a local company use large tripods that are up about 10-12 feet they are anchored down by sand bags and surrounded by cones it seemed to work well for them.

Comment

nice sprinter rick how do you rate it for space? Height? thanks oz.
                              Just thinking of upgrading and would love one but not many plumbers ( if any) have them around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X