X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawlspace Greasetrap

I thought this would be a fun one to share. So I pulled out my camera last Friday.

Vacuum truck service sucked out the trap and let them know the outgoing line was stopped up.

I removed the 1/8 bend instead of going through the clean out to make sure I wasnt missing anything. I wanted to make sure this one didnt recall.

The greasetrap was left open and the six inch deep floor of the crawlspace filled with the most delightful smelling grease. Engineering later pumped the area out.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Re: Crawlspace Greasetrap

Lenny

Comment

Did ya barf?

Comment

The smell must have been unreal!

Comment

I managed to hold it in.

Nothing to do but grin (with my mouth closed ), bear it, and charge accordingly.

This hotel is a good customer so I don't complain.

Lenny

Comment

Curious, why not use the jetter for this? Did you use the "extention cord switch" trick to run your machine? They cleaned the space really good, how'd they get the crawlspace cleaned? I never mess with the C/O plugs in those situations, I'll disconnect it at the no hub. Never found a metal c/o plug that came off easy.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

honey!!!! what's that smell???!!!!

that is brutal!!

at least the wood is treated.

it looks like the outlet pipe from the grease trap wasn't supported properly.

just courious, were you concerned about confined spaces issues?

Vince
              Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

I love it when you rod a line like that and your truck keeps that smell in it for a week or two.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I hope you show the hotel management your photo album. I think a hint about an ounce of prevention along the lines of routine maintenance might be in line. I bet, if the manager has half a brain, he/she'll come to that conclusion without having to paint a picture. If you can get them to think it's their idea you keep in their good graces by not having to brow beating them with it. Diplomacy keeps them as an account, and possibly eliminates having to deal with that particular black hole of Calcutta ever again, except to completely change out the GT (and make a few shekels in the process) some time down the road.

Comment

I would show them the pictures and offer something along the lines of a regular cleaning or some sort of bio maintenance to prevent the grease build up and to keep their lines clear. Bio maintenance is cheap and easy for you but can give you a residual income. A regular jetting or cleaning can also provide that for you at a monthly or quarterly intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Curious, why not use the jetter for this? I only jet when the cable with blades wont work. Did you use the "extention cord switch" trick to run your machine? Yes, I didnt feel like going back down to get my foot switch. They cleaned the space really good, how'd they get the crawlspace cleaned? They were setting up a sump pump as I was leaving. Earlier the greasetrap company had emptied the space but it filled back up by the time I got there two hours later. I never mess with the C/O plugs in those situations, I'll disconnect it at the no hub. Me too. Never found a metal c/o plug that came off easy.
                      Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                      honey!!!! what's that smell???!!!!

that is brutal!!I undressed at the washing machine.

at least the wood is treated.

it looks like the outlet pipe from the grease trap wasn't supported properly. It could probably use some extra support but it has held up since the 80's.

just courious, were you concerned about confined spaces issues? Open to garage with blowers and fans circulating

Vince
                      Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                      I hope you show the hotel management your photo album. I think a hint about an ounce of prevention along the lines of routine maintenance might be in line. I bet, if the manager has half a brain, he/she'll come to that conclusion without having to paint a picture. If you can get them to think it's their idea you keep in their good graces by not having to brow beating them with it. Diplomacy keeps them as an account, and possibly eliminates having to deal with that particular black hole of Calcutta ever again, except to completely change out the GT (and make a few shekels in the process) some time down the road.
                      They seem to prefer emergencies. Scheduled maintenance cleaning on this line and other drains have and will be discussed further. The last time I cleaned this particular line was oct 07.

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                      I would show them the pictures and offer something along the lines of a regular cleaning or some sort of bio maintenance to prevent the grease build up and to keep their lines clear. Bio maintenance is cheap and easy for you but can give you a residual income. A regular jetting or cleaning can also provide that for you at a monthly or quarterly intervals.
                      Bio maintenance is something I would be interested in offering. Whether or not they will go for it is another thing.

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        I love it when you rod a line like that and your truck keeps that smell in it for a week or two.

I'm hoping to clean it off with a nice long sewer line soon.

The worst to me is seafood restaurants, or fast food chicken restaurant greasetraps.

Lenny

Comment

We have a grease trap at a butcher shop we service that has a nice odor to it!

Years ago dad had a pumping account for an egg processing plant. This particular job had him IN a 40'x40'x8' vat of all the crap that got washed off the processing room floor. Talk about a stink that won't come off, wow! I got the pleasure of doing it once before our dump facility wouldn't let us dispose of it anymore. Even thought it was $, I don't miss it.
                          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Those are the kind of jobs I just do not do, anymore.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Wait....so you were up top running the cable through with the machine down below spinning and unmanned??? How is this possible? How were you able to control the cable while you were away from the machine? Isn't that, like, dangerous too? You're lucky, and I mean real lucky, you got out of there alive. Golly gee, operating that antiquated machine in that manner is like a death trap. You could save yourself a lot of potential injury by using a sectional. You simply can't do a job like this with that type of machine without putting yourself in harms way. Please, do yourself a favor Lenny, purchase a K60. When will you learn?

Comment

Working...
                              X