Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: General Rodrunner...any thoughts?

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
    Oh this is an easy one. Since 2009 I have used it...oh, let me think,,oh, thats right, ZERO times. Edith is still running strong.

I have been meaning to pull it out of the shed and start using it just so I can form an educated opinion on it.

I almost always have Candy with me now. When i'm using Edith I sometimes need Candy to "foot" or "heel" the cable.

If I worked alone all the time, I don't know, maybe I would like the rodrunner.
    To me it's like a beefed up K-60 and a model C all in one but I have not used it enough to form an educated opinion.
    That's kind of what I was thinking too.

I work by myself about 90% of the time, so 1 man operation has to be easy.

I've been looking for eel/general cables for a while both to use with Speedy Kleeny KM-1500 as well as to use with a drill in tight spots (crawlspaces).

Found someone selling the rodrunner with the cables. Just figured I'd do a little homework first.

Thanks Gene!

-Chris

Comment

Don't run out and buy a Timber wolf Drill they can be an arm breaker if you are not very careful (I would only use a Twolf if you already have one).

I bought the Dewalt DWD460 it has a clutch with bind up control, in a nutshell the drill will let off if you lose control

The DWD460 is also stronger then the Timber wolf

Here is a link to the Timber wolfs big brother:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/drills-1...ls-dwd460.aspx

Comment

Thanks Bill

I have a Milwaukee Hole Hawg that I was planning on using (my rough-in drill). I was hoping to add to the long list of tasks that I tackle with that beast. It looks similar to that DeWalt that you posted the link to. Not sure how the power compares or about the clutch. I think it's a 7.5 Amp motor.
        I think that Rod (UnclogNH) uses a Hole Hawg too?

-Chris
        Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 01-05-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          Thanks Bill

I have a Milwaukee Hole Hawg that I was planning on using (my rough-in drill). I was hoping to add to the long list of tasks that I tackle with that beast. It looks similar to that DeWalt that you posted the link to. Not sure how the power compares or about the clutch. I think it's a 7.5 Amp motor.
          I think that Rod (UnclogNH) uses a Hole Hawg too?

-Chris
          16 years of running the drill and eel with no broken limbs
          You really get a feel for the cable and the sound the drill makes.
          I can hear and feel the cable as it builds torque and about to flip the cable and back off and hit again. Takes time mastering Like Gene said about foot and heel it in. Cable pulls itself in and out for everyone else who thinks the drill is a joke? I'm telling you it's power will beat any drum or K-60.
          You really can't explain by words how to run the drill only getting your hands on one and doing it you will see it's awesome power. The drill will run 200 feet and pull back all 200 feet.
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            Don't run out and buy a Timber wolf Drill they can be an arm breaker if you are not very careful (I would only use a Twolf if you already have one).

I bought the Dewalt DWD460 it has a clutch with bind up control, in a nutshell the drill will let off if you lose control

The Timberwolf type is clutched on low speed. I like it better for the long handled leverage.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              The Timberwolf type is clutched on low speed. I like it better for the long handled leverage.

J.C.
              me too tried the hole hawg and it was too awkard. the dewalt timberwolf has a better feel in my arms.

i've never slipped the clutch so i doubt it is anygood for protection. i would be interested in the newer dewalt electronic clutch.

also the 0-330 variable speed would be a bonus too. just don't care for the shape of the newer dewalt.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                me too tried the hole hawg and it was too awkard. the dewalt timberwolf has a better feel in my arms.

i've never slipped the clutch so i doubt it is anygood for protection. i would be interested in the newer dewalt electronic clutch.

also the 0-330 variable speed would be a bonus too. just don't care for the shape of the newer dewalt.

rick.
                I've slipped the clutch many times. Knot in wood with the 3-5/8" & it will "cliiiicckkkkk!!!".

Got to be bitin' hard. But you CAN hold it and it not spin you around.

J.C.

Comment

i was referring to the 1.25'' cable use and clutch not slipping.

when i really get it wound up, it will spin in reverse at high speed. very scary if you're not holding it properly and in the right alignment.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

Timberwolf is what we use to sound all Macho.Hasn't been made by black and decker since the eighties Then dewalt picked them up.
                    Now they are just a good-ole DeWalt right angle drill "dw124".

Bill,with the extended motor/handle length even the lightest lightwieght "plumber" can easily handle it.You can stop it on 1200 and the clutch kicks it off on 300.

Comment

You guys really like DeWalt stuff, huh?

We've only used Milwaukee for as long as I can remember. Either the D-handle right angle drill (for small holes) or the Hole Hawg for larger openings and mixing mortor/cement.

Comment

SWADE.......
                        i went with the eel because i have seen them in action.....i have ZERO regrets, it is without a doubt the best root machine on the market!

Comment

Ok now I have put thought into leaveing the K-7500 at home as I dont use it that much but I hate not being prepared so would the Dewalt 124 work with the 1.25" cable adapter
                          http://www.dewalt.com/tools/drills-1...lls-dw124.aspx
                          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

that's the identical 1 i use. it's the dewalt version of the timberwolf.

my original b & d timberwolf is now dead due to too much underground earth boring. and i'm on my second dewalt 124. it has never tripped the clutch in low gear drain cleaning.

takes a feel and respect for the machine and cables. until you get bit, you'll not know the limits

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Ok everyone, fess up. Who can find their bail handle? Or the sidearm for that matter?

J.C.

Comment

Maybe I'll give the DeWalt a shot when the Hawg craps out....
                                Or maybe the Super Hawg

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/t...r-hawg/1680-20

the top handle seems a little awkward though.

Honestly, I'm used to the Hawg and never have any problems with it. It's lasted my about 5 years so far with 0 repairs.

JH, your 1hp eel is the cats pajamas, but it's really tough to find. Most of the rental shops use the 1/2 hp. Occasionally I see a

Also, I think that it came up earlier, or maybe in the "Sectional Questions" thread about using a drill with 7/8" cables....If you check the info page for the General Model 88, they refer to an adapter to use the 88 to drive the 7/8" - 7/16" proflex cables with eel style connectors. Catalog # 78L-CDC for the adapter and catalog #6L78

Now, I know that SewerRatz has run eel cables through his K1500/500 machines, so I would imagine that you could run these general 7/8" cables through the K-60. Then you can also use your eel cutters!

For guys that deal with long 6" clay lines a lot (like me), this could be an interesting option.

One more Question: Rick likes the G connectors, Gene and Rod like the Eel.....so why do you guys prefer what you do?

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X