General Rodrunner...any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: General Rodrunner...any thoughts?

Hmmmmm, the more I look at the Model the 1hp model 88, the more I like.

8' sections available too....I like the idea of that better indoors, plus a few 4' sections.

Comment

the g connector is generals design. it's a simple and secure connection. i've made my own male blade ends out of flat plate and ground in the tabs. makes for some inexpensive blade holders.

the hole hawg is just not the right shape for myself. the superhawg will get a chance when my dewalt dies

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Swade................
        The 1hp eel is overkill, All you really need is 1/2hp. With the 1hp from the factory is was breaking eel cables I had to back the cluth WAY down! My Local eel rep said the 1hp is only needed for longer runs of over 200' Being that it delievers direct power from motor to cable with no belts or pullys 1/2hp is plenty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          Hmmmmm, the more I look at the Model the 1hp model 88, the more I like.

8' sections available too....I like the idea of that better indoors, plus a few 4' sections.

Indoors ?

I've been putting a lot of thought into getting a super powerful root machine. About the only thing stopping me from getting a drill/eel cable setup or the model C is from thoughts and watching the video below. The cable whipping all around looks like a poo slinger. I can't imagine having to make multiple passes indoors. Even with the average unfinished basement it seems you would have to hire a cleanup crew

It does look like an excellent choice for tougher outside work.

http://drainmachines.com/Video.aspx?...61&StartTime=0

Comment

the cable will come back with sludge if you don't clear the line and flush it out first. remember that the inner core cable is like a 1/2'' drum tight wrap cable. this is the one that will retain the water more than the outer loose wound 1.25'' cable.

the trick is to clear it on the first pass before you remove the nasty cable. the majority of my lines i go in there with a full size root saw and there is no need to change cutters. line is cleared and cleaned at the same time. i will also make multiple passes at the trouble spots.

anytime there is standing water sludge, there will be water/ sludge coming back. doesn't matter if it's a drum or sectional.

100' of drum cable will retain/ hold more water and sludge than 100' of open wind sectional.

i have 2 of the general #82/88 eel style machines and they get the job done that i don't do with the timberwolf.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              Indoors ?

I've been putting a lot of thought into getting a super powerful root machine. About the only thing stopping me from getting a drill/eel cable setup or the model C is from thoughts and watching the video below. The cable whipping all around looks like a poo slinger. I can't imagine having to make multiple passes indoors. Even with the average unfinished basement it seems you would have to hire a cleanup crew

It does look like an excellent choice for tougher outside work.

http://drainmachines.com/Video.aspx?...61&StartTime=0
              AssTime, I find I have better control over the cable with the drill than the model C running the cable. Like Rick said once the line is clear no problems with sludge. If your running on a basement floor you can get wet marks but you don't want to run this in a finished basement until you have learned to master this set up you can set up a tarp and run one 8 foot section at a time. Just lean back a bit allow no slack on the cable and your in control Listen and feel your cable and drill it will tell you what's going on.
              The drill and eel set up are the Jedi masters of drain cleaning
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                100' of drum cable will retain/ hold more water and sludge than 100' of open wind sectional.

rick.

I don't see how that's possible but you've been at this much longer than me

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i will also make multiple passes at the trouble spots.

rick.

How easily felt are the trouble spots ? Seems they would be hard to feel with the heavy cable, especially with a machine such as the model C ???

Comment

As always Rick is dead on!

I always put a full sized blade on 1st and almost never have to switch down to a smaller one! Inside cleanout are not a problem. Drop clothes or cardboard works just fine.

Remember 1-1/4" cable with inncore are big boy root machines spinning a 500 or more rpms they get the job done.....fast

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                      I don't see how that's possible but you've been at this much longer than me
                      the open wind will not hold water. as the water will just drip off of it. the tight wind does hold water.

now when you crank up a sectional, it will spin dry a cable much better than a drum spinning at 1/3 -1/2 the rpm's.

of course a kitchen sink that doesn't get cleared and flushed out. game over

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

all i can say re the vid is that guy's got a scary amount of unrestrained cable flopping around when he puts that next section in. hit the trouble spot wrong and goose it and there is going to be heartache. it needs to be fed from the rear with the engine close to the hole like a 1500. when things get tough it's a cable tweaker on a good day and an emergency room trip on a bad one like it is.

and its big and heavy, and it's a gas engine, and what will it do that the drill or a 7500 won't do easier and no more dangerous, and probably less so?
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

To dam slow for me!!!...i still use spartan 300 on residential sewers here...much faster...i amm looking tu buy a k-60 though for roof jobs..

Comment

alex. i can tell you from hands on use of the general which is a clone of the eel. these machines are very simple and safe. they will open up a drain that everyone else fails at.

now the timberwolf is a little scary for the first timers, but with a little hands on and common sense, they too can be operated safely.

it's not uncommon that i will run 30' laid out in front of me. there is always the chance of a flip, but you have some time to react as there is plenty of spring there to absorb the stop.

rookie/ steve has seen me open lines that should have been dug and replaced with this machine. in fact he recommended me to a neighbor that had a drain guy and jetter there all day today. lets see if they do call me tomorrow

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

The eel is much more safer than any drum machine......Your hands NEVER ever come in contact with the spinning cable!

Comment

Problem with the big root killer machines is they sit...and sit.... and sit. I have a Ridgid 500 with 1.25" Rothenberger innercore cable just sitting idle I have only used it 2 times and that's because I wanted to use it.
                                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                                X