X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You Ever Get Blue Balls?

I'd weld a wood screw to something to keep it off the bottom of the pipe while the cable spins. it should screw it's self into the ball.

Comment

Looks like a lid to a baby food jar down there also. There's no guarantee with the vac truck. I'd opt for the bust out.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
        I'd weld a wood screw to something to keep it off the bottom of the pipe while the cable spins. it should screw it's self into the ball.
        Oh! I like that idea

Maybe put a guide ball on my cable to keep it centered in the pipe. Then maybe my wormhead will pierce the skin

Just seems like there should be a simple solution to removing a ball that cost $2.75 at Target
        Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-14-2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

bill, here's the problem. you have a trap and a vent and a wye.

unless you can get a vac hose past the trap and vent, it's not going to suck your ball

you can try capping the proper vent and not have to get past the trap.

personally i would use a k-50 with 5/8'' cable and get a female coupler from a blade holder. attach a threaded rod coupler to the front coupler stud. make sure to use a lock washer. either weld a sharp coarse sheet metal screw/ drywall screw or purchase the proper hanger bolt. 1/2 machine screw, 1/2 lag bolt.

have micro drain and k-50 in line and play with it. go slow on the clutch and start to bite it.

i'll show joey the set up if you can wait a month

who knows, you might be lord of the balls

but i'm still lord of the rings

does the owner have another ball to test with?

if it's solid, it will be hard. hollow air filled will be easier to bite.

also bleach will soften most rubber. think of the burn out pits at the race track. it's glorified bleach in the box.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I say bust the floor out right before the boiler/water heater.

This "should" get you past the tee-wye connection and since these people think their sewer line is a garbage can,

You'll have access for the next time, as there will be a next time.

This is a stellar example of why a cleanout is needed for the piping arrangement.

Bottom line all these ideas are time killers and they might work, but the busting the floor and cleanout idea prepares for the next time.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: Ball Retrieval

All,

Totally off-topic, but if you notice the original title changed it is because of me. It really wasn't that bad but it showed up on our home page intranet. I have forum posts pop up there so our employees can see what is going on out in the world. I am a little cautious with the headlines. Rarely happens but I did modify a bit. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Comment

I've used my Ridgid shop vac with a sump pump hose duct taped to the vac hose and push the sump hose in with a fish tape duct taped to it.
                That was not going threw a trap though.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I normally put a pair shaped cutter on my 3/4" cable and shred that ball to bits. It takes some doing but you can do it.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I normally put a pair shaped cutter on my 3/4" cable and shred that ball to bits. It takes some doing but you can do it.
                    you forget who you're dealing with.

bill was the roundup champ @ last years board buster contest.

bill you can split that ball in under 7 seconds and i'll drill a hole through it in under 9

time to break out your 1500 and video camera. but remember that adams not there to hand pick your ball

show us how team geritol can put the power to the youngsters

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Kinda reminded of when Katy Couric had the proctoscope on national tv, except that sewer line was cleaner.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiIfO-Ftpkk
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                          just what I was thinking; you beat me to it.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have a small jetter head that has 3 or 4 jets that shoot back wards and one forward, to help to push it down the line,

if one could get the jetter past the ball before turning it on the back-wards jets may just push it back out, with the camera I would think it may be possible.

I do not know if it will work or not but I would think it may,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                              I have a small jetter head that has 3 or 4 jets that shoot back wards and one forward, to help to push it down the line,

if one could get the jetter past the ball before turning it on the back-wards jets may just push it back out, with the camera I would think it may be possible.

i actually did this on a pool deck drain with a tennis ball that i didn't know was there. the hose passed the ball and the jets pulled it back towards the drain opening.

i heated up my tile probe and speared the ball back out.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post

I spent the better part of an hour on the phone yesterday with Rick brainstorming ideas on what might work. This was one of the ideas.

Ok...... he was brainstorming....... I was taking notes

We also discussed recreating this problem in a controlled environment to see if the wood screw would penetrate the ball surface and hold on strong enough to pull back through the trap.

Rick wanted to strap another raquetball to my snake and use that as a guide

The more I think about it, I will just pull the carpet back and break a hole about 4 feet from the ball and use a shopvac to suck it out without disturbing the mechanical system

...and don't think I didn't notice how fast this thread cooled off after the title changed

For those that missed it... 7.78 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bViCcRmSUeE
                                Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X