X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Retrieval

Tried retrieving this ball with every head I had. No luck. Snake just kept pushing past it or hanging up on it.

The only access is through a 3" cast iron floor drain. No way am I going in with a retriever head. Broke too many of those going through traps. I put a sharp point on the worm head but couldn't hook it. It won't go forward either. I think it's right at a tee wye dropping down.

The homeowner wants to try some chemicals to soften it

What are my options beside digging up his basement?

The MicroDrain makes a pretty picture, doesn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlAb6QioHNg
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-14-2009, 12:38 PM. Reason: I'm in need of adult supervision

Re: You Ever Get Blue Balls?

No Pic?

Ah....There it is!

J.C.

Comment

I think you need to poke it with something and bust it. Then it will wrap on your cable end.

J.C.

Comment

I've always thought of myself as a pretty good poker but it's a racquet ball so it's hard to break the surface.

Comment

Looked bigger. If it's a racquetball it wouldn't really deflate after poking it.

How far down? I might would get it with vacuum. If it's far I'd use the sewer pump truck with a screen to catch it.

J.C.

Comment

How far in is it we have used a vac truck to retrieve pieces of concrete and stones in the past.

Comment

I was told it's a racquetball. Having never played, I have no idea. If it is a solid core, breaking it open won't help

It's about 10 feet past the trap but there is another tee wye before the ball. The vacuum truck is a good idea but will it create enough vacuum with the other connection?

Comment

I don't want to say this on the Ridgid site because last time I asked for something to simply go through a toilet trap they came out with a $2400.00 dollar minicam. Start making retrievers that you tape on your camera. You didn't say how far down the line it was but maybe a vacuum hose might get through the trap. I've taped magnets to my camera. mostly I've made special retrievers to go on the end of my cable then I watch what I'm doing with the camera. Most recently was a bent fork to pull a tape measure out. I'm thinking 2 long pieces of wire that can slip arond the ball and pull it back. Although busting concrete might be the easiest

Comment

A racquetball is kind of a self supporting sphere. Poke a hole in it and the shape will stay the same. No deflation really.

A vac truck or pumper truck can produce ALOT of suction even with another open branch. Depending on the truck and pump.

Could you fish a short, cut, water hose to it-then hook a shop vac to it maybe? Then you might be able to get a direct-suction-connection.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    I was told it's a racquetball. Having never played, I have no idea. If it is a solid core, breaking it open won't help

It's about 10 feet past the trap but there is another tee wye before the ball. The vacuum truck is a good idea but will it create enough vacuum with the other connection?

I dought it. Try a shop vac in the pip with the other y if a c/o is close enough. I've had OK luck slideing a shop vac hose down the line. you may need the camera to help it through the wye.
                    Last edited by saysflushable; 06-14-2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

We have pushed a 2 inch vac hose in. Once it gets to the ball it will suck the ball tight to the end of the hose. if you had a 20 foot length of hose it should work, the hose is ridgid enough to push it thru the pipe. You can't get a made up coupling in that small of a pipe. Push a cut end or male cam lock in and you should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
                        We have pushed a 2 inch vac hose in. Once it gets to the ball it will suck the ball tight to the end of the hose. if you had a 20 foot length of hose it should work, the hose is ridgid enough to push it thru the pipe. You can't get a made up coupling in that small of a pipe. Push a cut end or male cam lock in and you should be good.
                        Here is the trouble though. Now you have a vac truck out there that is going to want to get paid if the ball comes out or not. If it's not a finished basement I'd be busting concrete. Finished basement I'd call the vac truck.

Comment

Finished basement with ball under boiler and water heater.

What a vac truck cost? Never needed one before. They on an hourly rate?

Thanks for all the quick replys

Comment

Finished basement with ball under boiler and water heater.

What a vac truck cost? Never needed one before. They on an hourly rate?

Thanks for all the quick replys
                            So are you affraid to move a boiler? Just kidding. Out here I've only called them to pump septic tanks and thats around 250.to 300.00 depending on the size. Don't know about hourly. Wish I was in D.C. I bet we would get it out.

Comment

The vac company may do hourly or give you a flat rate price. Check with enviromental companies in you area, a septic truck may not work that well since they are setup to move liquid compared to air.

Comment

Working...
                              X