X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good online source for spartan cutters

I just picked up a spartan 1065 and need some cutters any good places (best price) for spartan stuff? So far the prices I see at sparta are better then some of the online places google showed me. I still have my General maxi but still don't like it's reverse power while feeding back, guy on craigslist had a very nice 1065 for $200 so I want to give it a try. And Yes I still use the K60 for most work I just want something for those 200 ft runs.
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Good online source for spartan cutters

cuda, the ridgid blade holder for the 750 and 7500 are a very close match. the spartan uses a roll pin/ tension pin and the pattern is so close to the ridgid that a small file can dress up the coupler to make it fit nicely.

i've done it plenty of times.

the spartan roll pin is a very secure connection, but also a slow one to remove and reinstall the holder. they use a hammer, punch and stand to knock out the pin. but once it's in, it's not falling off.

also if you have the blade holders, most of the replacement blades will fit it as it too uses a 3/8'' stud for their blades.

gorlitz, general, and marco use different blade holders, but the blades are pretty much interchangeable.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Another question for any Spartan guys, I bought some cutters and other heads (retriever, spade etc.) Well I got the spartan version of a root cutter (spiral saw) and it has me worried (spade and retriever also) they simply thread on to my cable (or 2ft leader) Wow! What if I get stuck and have to use reverse motor! If cought up in roots I see the head just spinning off
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

The bolt thread doesn't protrude all the way through to get a nut and lock washer on?

It's been a while but that's how I remember my Spartan

Comment

Is this what you bought?

Attachment
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes that is the exact cutter, and yes there is extra thread and I put a nut and lock washer on it was the only thing I could think of short of tacking a quick weld on it. The manual gives no info on these thread on heads. So thanks if that is the way that works then thats what I will try.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Which friction washer are you using? I've found that the split ring won't hold as tight as the internal/external star type

Attachment
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks! I am using the internal style to save thread space. It just seems like trouble if I don't change the friction washer every time. (note to self buy box of washers )
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

What will really worry you is when your locator beacon doesn't come back. Lucky for me we were locating a broken line for my plumber buddy so it had to be dug up anyhow. I had a blunt end made to gently push the beacon through to the hole. I had a set screw machined into the nut end where the leader screws into to help secure it.
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Is this what you bought?

Attachment
                    as trent mentioned, just drill and tap a set screw into the side of the cutter and secure it to the 3/8'' stud. best is to use a dedicated tool holder and drill a counter hole for the stud so it will always index and not strip the threads.

i have that cutter too, but i like the ridgid that are not as heavy and have a taper design to them.

rick.
                    Attached Files
                    phoebe it is

Comment

best is to use a dedicated tool holder and drill a counter hole for the stud so it will always index and not strip the threads.
                      I hadn't thought of that. Nice idea!
                      Last edited by Trent2; 07-09-2009, 09:59 AM. Reason: To make 'er purdy
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                      X