Jetting Orangeburg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetting Orangeburg

Ive Talked to guys who say they jet Orangburg every day and ive talked to others who say they would not recomend jetting orangburg, any of you folks had any experience or comments on jetting orangburg??
    ________
    EL250E
    Last edited by rhinorooter; 01-26-2011, 10:40 AM.

Re: Jetting Orangeburg

fortunately i don't see orangeburg that much. probable less than 2% of my work is orangeburg.

but here's the issue.

most orangeburg is from the 70's and earlier. chances are it's no longer round. sending in a blade is probably not going to get a decent blade in there. jetting will be able to clean it, but it can do damage too.

too much pressure will cut the pipe into pieces. remember it's basically tar paper.

i would go as easy as i can with the snake or the jetter turned down on the psi.

a camera is the best way to tell the condition and problem area.

sooner or later the pipe will be rotting and need real repairs. jetting and snaking just speeds up the process.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Did a test on orangburg , took my jetter and ran it down an old peice of orangeburg i had laying around, ran a 6 rear nozzle at 3500 psi at the guagh 4.5 gpm so around 3200 psi at the nozzle let it sit in the same place for 5 minutes, (even timed it) Inspected the pipe afterwards and I could not see where the jetter had damaged the pipe whatso ever, Orangburg is probably 50 % of my businesss, and it sure would be nice to jet instead of cable, but like you said rick it is just tar paper.
      ________
      full melt bubble hash
      Last edited by rhinorooter; 01-26-2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I agree with Rhinorooter!

I wouldn't dream of sending a blade down Orangeberg. One of the failure components of Orangeberg is the pipe misshapes often bulging inward, any blade maneuvering through this area will hole the pipe making the repair needed today!

A jetter with the head being smaller than fixed blades will not only make it through, but have far less chance of breaking the pipe.
        411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Orangeberg pipe should be replaced period. It requires either a digging crew, backhoe or pipe-bursting equipment. You can't really clean orangeburg properly without destroying it. I recommend replacement of any orangeberg sewer we come across.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I recomend replacing it as well. I won't try to clean it. I don't want the liability.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Just dig it. I'm in an area where this crap pipe was produced. Orangeburg or Bermaco same thing. A lot of it up here. "HOLD HARMLESS" before any attempts of any kind.
              Do not jet or pressure bag.
              If pipe is backed up no way of know what your walking into. Rooting can rip holes into pipe as it cuts and tears roots from pipe causing a collapse.

This pipe ovals out making it hard to pass blades. Trying to pass a smaller blade can punch through this pipe easy. Dig. If HO wants to have it snaked Hold Harmless before anything.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

My Orangeburg turned 41-years old this year and still no problems. I even ran a camera down it looking for problems.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I clean and Camera oranegburg drains every day and some of it is still in good condition and some of it needs to be replaced But youve got to admit for what it is made from it has done its job.
                  ________
                  buy vaporizer
                  Last edited by rhinorooter; 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I don't know how you guys know you are in orangeburg. We have cast iron in the house and it turns to orangeburg outside. We have no way to tell it may stay cast or turn to clay or orangburg. We have to clear and camera 1st. I augure orange burg all the time.

Comment

I generally know by the neighborhood.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        My Orangeburg turned 41-years old this year and still no problems. I even ran a camera down it looking for problems.

Mark
                        Once in awhile we run across an Orangeburg line in good condition, but it is very rare around here. Most are crushed and deteriorated over time by rocks, roots and heavy soil. I can't even remember the last orangeburg line we video-inspected that didn't have major problems, that is how rare it is.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                          I don't know how you guys know you are in orangeburg. We have cast iron in the house and it turns to orangeburg outside. We have no way to tell it may stay cast or turn to clay or orangburg. We have to clear and camera 1st. I augure orange burg all the time.
                          Camera. I run a small spade head down to get the water down. Usually there are crushed spots that won't let the cable through, but we can usually get it cleared just enough to see with the camera that it is crushed orangeburg.

Any house built in the 50s or 60s around here has it. I just ask the homeowner the age of the house.

Comment

I've destroyed orangeburg by jetting. Low spot in line, did a regular pm jetting as digging was cost prohibitive, turned out to be orangeburg in the low spot, jetted a hole in it. Agree the stuff is junk and should be replaced.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                            X