X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetting through a comby backwards

typically i snake from an outside comby downstream.

the other day i knew the stoppage was just a few feet behind the comby and i had my big jetter with the 3/8'' warthog nozzle with me

since the stoppage was prior to the comby, i was able to see clearly down the comby and it's rearward inlet.

so i was able to drop the warthog and 3/8'' hose into the line and put a small bend to help guide it backwards.

start up the pump and let it rip.

the warthog made it reverse and cleared the root stoppage.

can't do this with a drum or sectional. only a jetter have i been successful

of course a 2 way or an illegal san tee on it's back is easy to go backwards.

rick.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-23-2009, 01:23 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: jetting through a comby backwards

Sneaky!
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I tried a couple of weeks ago with my k60 for 30 minutes with no luck. I had to go from other clean out and run 125 feet of 7/8 to get it. Its almost time for me to get a jetter.
      You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Fantastic photos Rick.
        You could almost say that you were wasting your time as a plumber with great photos like that.
        They are as good as you would see in National Geographic.

Simon

Comment

Must be nice to have outside access. Up here everything is in the basements or under the mobile home. Ever once and a while I will have a slab
          Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
          1-920-284-7471

Comment

just some more info.

the jetter hose is 3/8'' i.d/ 4000psi rated that's approx. 11/16'' od.

the warthog nozzle is the 3/8'' unit.

the trick was to get the hose into the bottom with a pre bend to help guide it back when you push. once the nozzle has committed to go backwards, turn on the pressure and let the nozzle pull it in.

it's safer to shut the hose off when you pull back so it softens the hose and doesn't dig into the cover.

this was an abs comby. but i 've also had success with no hub

of course a smaller hose and nozzle is simple

i never liked a single barrel/ riser 2 way c/o. when the line is plugged downstream, you have no visual to even know it's a 2 way.

i prefer the twin riser 2 way c/o. either a "texas twin" or just 2 combys facing each other.

but there is another option that i find handy.

a san tee on its back this pretty much guarantees the snake to go downstream as it still has a small sweep. but it also allows you to go upstream with a little coaching

sure it's not an approved application for a san tee. but it's sure a lot better than a single barrel 2 way that's plugged up and you don't know it's a 2 way.

i paint the 2 ways with red on the cap. it forewarns me and hopefully others that follow me. too many times have other gone backwards unknowingly.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

What size of jetter to you need to cut roots in 3" to 6" mains. How much psi ? How much volume ?

Comment

cheapest way would be a 5gpm PW with 3000 psi with the Ridgid Root Ranger tip this system works well on roots when on a budget or just starting into jetting. Use 1/4 inch hose or 3/8
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Any photos of the various cleanout arangements you listed. I tried a search but didn't find any pictures. Not being a plumber, I'm not up on the terminology so I'm not exaclty sure what you are talking about.
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

hey t2. start a new thread and list what you want to see. breid

Comment

How deep is that sewer Rick?

10"?

12"?

OMG!! 16"??

My neighbors' dog could dig that up in an afternoon

Comment

bill, you're right. it's fairly shallow. doesn't really matter as it's a straight riser with no offset.

sure a real 2 way would be nice, but there is another c/o 70' away.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick many moons ago (18 years or more) I was at the Nashville International Waste Haulers show, and there was a company called Viking. They made amazing jetters. Way ahead of the curve compared to everyone else. They had a display where they ran their electric jetter though its paces showing off the different nozzles they had designed. One nozzle was able to make a 90ยบ turn in a tee with ease. It basically had 2 sprays to the rear and one to the side. Now their little demo rig had multiple places you can send the jetter through, and one of them you would be coming up on the a wye fitting from the wrong direction. I betted them and my friends I can make their cornering nozzle make that hairpin turn in the wye. They all took the bet and gave me 1 minute to do it in. I did it in 45 seconds, took a flew flips of the hose. Others that where watching where so impressed bought units left and right from them. As a reward they gave me two of their 1200 PSI 2 GPM units.

About two years later they stopped coming to the trade show. I called them up and asked them where they where at. I was told they where getting out of the business of selling their units as drain and sewer jetters. That other companies where cut throating the price with inferior products and not recognizing that they used better motors, pumps and hoses. They still do what they started of doing making pressure washers of all sizes. Just no longer modifying them to be uber jetters.

Do wish they still makde jetter nozzles, theirs where the best I ever used.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

ron, i have cornering nozzles too. but when you did your demo was it clear pipe so you saw what your doing?

remember that most all jetting is done blind

hey you should have seen me selling k-60's at the last trade show.

i got a ridgid calender

mine had the girls phone #'s

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              ron, i have cornering nozzles too. but when you did your demo was it clear pipe so you saw what your doing?

remember that most all jetting is done blind

hey you should have seen me selling k-60's at the last trade show.

i got a ridgid calender

mine had the girls phone #'s

rick.
                              I do miss the old calenders where the girls where really posing with the machines.

Yes it was clear pipe. I did have a garage drain at a police department that was backing up. The new construction plumber used a double wye flat on its back to pick up the two floor drains. So no matter how I tried to rod the rodder would pass through the double wye and come out the other floor drain. So I fired up my jetter with the cornering nozzle took me about 10 minutes to get it to make the turn and get the line open. Really impressed the maintenance guy for the cop shop. He had six other guys out there that all wanted to dig the line up and install a proper clean out. I told him let me try and open the line. If I couldn't get it he wouldn't have to pay me. After I got the line open I ended up getting the job to locate the line and install the clean out.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X