New 'Screwdriver' nozzle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 'Screwdriver' nozzle

Ok, ok you local guys will get yours...give me a couple of weeks to get them hardened!

Bill
    Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Root Ranger View Post
      I had this same conversation with you ten years ago. Have`nt screwed one since.

marcus.d
      Marcus you old dog...I remember, you were totally convinced that screw-on was the only way to go! You took a lot of convincing and now you'd never go back! Maybe it's the special shortened couplers we make, or the double silt proof o'rings???

Bill
      Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

I particularly like that the front jet is offset, not in the center. Twisting the hose then lets you play the jet in an arc across the blockage, finding a weak spot in it to start digging in. I think this as much as the chisel aspect is what is going to make this effective on hard blockages. I think the offset angle on the warthog front jet is part of what makes it so effective.

Have you considered driling that front jet at a slight angle to the axis of the tool? This would allow it to enlarge the hole it is creating; get right up in it, make a small hole, pull back a little and work the edges and enlarge it. I could see the design as is boring a hole in a hard blockage the diameter of the offset, and then getting stopped when the larger body of the tool can't move into that hole.

I don't know why, but the first thing that popped into my head when I looked at your original drawing was massive cast iron debris, also sand. Just looks like a good tool for lots of granular debris as well as a hard blockage.

I too scew nozzles directly on the hose; don't like the idea of a long ridgid tool on the end of my hose. Some of my favorite nozzles are spheres with the threads for the hose counter sunk deep into the aft end so the crimp almost diappears up into the nozzle. I'd be afraid of quick couplers, and it takes no time at all to screw the nozzle on directly. I'll say it now so you can use it to haunt me in later years if you ever convert me: I'll never go to couplers.

Make it out of brass and have replaceable carbide edges for the chisel and replaceable carbide wear thingines for the body? Then you wouldn't have to harden it? More machining time though.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

alex, i have a few of those brass jetter balls that are recessed threads. but they are ported for my electric 1500 jetter.

the issue with brass is it's way to soft for the pressure we use and the impact they take. even the hardened stainless take a beating and wear on the jets.

what kind of life do you get on brass nozzles and what psi/ gpm are they running?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

bingo, those are for the electric for me too; 2gpm ~1kpsi... not worn one out yet in that app. But I really (really) like them for 2" lines for the flexibility and for the weight to make back to back drops.

figured this app would have threaded ports for nozzle inserts anyway due to wide range of flows being accomodated.

Also I just like brass.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
              Have you considered driling that front jet at a slight angle to the axis of the tool? This would allow it to enlarge the hole it is creating; get right up in it, make a small hole, pull back a little and work the edges and enlarge it. I could see the design as is boring a hole in a hard blockage the diameter of the offset, and then getting stopped when the larger body of the tool can't move into that hole.

The problem of an offset angled stationary front jet is that it pushes the nozzle to one side of the drain pipe causing it to wear unevenly, but great for a spinning nozzle.

We have been working on a controlled spin nozzle on and off for three years now. We are being careful not to cross patent paths with the warthog .

I too scew nozzles directly on the hose; don't like the idea of a long ridgid tool on the end of my hose. Some of my favorite nozzles are spheres with the threads for the hose counter sunk deep into the aft end so the crimp almost diappears up into the nozzle. I'd be afraid of quick couplers, and it takes no time at all to screw the nozzle on directly. I'll say it now so you can use it to haunt me in later years if you ever convert me: I'll never go to couplers.

One day!!

Make it out of brass and have replaceable carbide edges for the chisel and replaceable carbide wear thingines for the body? Then you wouldn't have to harden it? More machining time though.
              Too expensive to build, we used to insert carbide blades in nozzles but the nozzle lasted forever! We find plumbers loose their nozzles before they wear them out!
              Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

If you have the patience, here is a clip of the Screwdriver and the Root Ranger nozzles cleaning a blocked section of 90mm storm water drain we cut out of the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okDexAPoq3o

Note the quick release coupler!
                Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

Great video, what were the specs on that jetter?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

as ben asked, what are the jetter specs that this was done at?

was that you in the video

see, i'm not the only one who stars in their own video

rick.
                    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-02-2009, 09:28 AM.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm liking the Screwdriver Nozzle better than the Root Ranger

Comment

Tried not to post this as I don't want to be the downer. But it seems like everything in jetter nozzles has been covered for awhile.

Like this company for instance.

http://www.enzusainc.com/fileadmin/p...e_usa_2009.pdf

P.S. I do not own a jetter so I'm sure I could be mistaken.

J.C.

Comment

I didn't see anything that ENZ made that had the screwdriver tip. Never saw that catalog before, thanks JC, you downer you.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            I'm liking the Screwdriver Nozzle better than the Root Ranger
                            I was wondering if it was my imagination as it looked as if the screwdriver nazzle was stronger than the root ranger. Can this be possible with a nozzle that has 7 jets vs a nozzle with 1 jet?

Edit: Never mind. Looking at the video again, it looked as though the SN made a path for itself but really didn't cut all the roots. The RR appeared to decimate the roots on contact. Could a SN be made with fewer jets?
                            Last edited by gear junkie; 07-02-2009, 12:04 PM. Reason: keep post count down
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We make nozzles with 3 rear jets but they have less surface contact and thrust.
                              Our highest selling nozzle has 3 jets at the rear at 30 degrees for thrust, 3 rear facing nozzles just below the nose set at 45 degrees for cutting deep into the blockage making room for the body of the nozzle and one zero degree jet at the front. See attachment.
                              Attached Files
                              Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                as ben asked, what are the jetter specs that this was done at?

was that you in the video

see, i'm not the only one who stars in their own video

rick.
                                4300psi 21 lpm (5.5gpm) 60m (200') 1/4" hose and 60m 3/16" hose on the mini reel. We sell hundreds of these jetters to Aussie plumbers. We also have a 5000psi version. We like high pressure....maybe we have tougher roots!

We also have a 20m 1/8" whip hose we run on the end of the mini reel to clear pans and drains up to 2".

No one else would jump in front of the camera!
                                Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X