Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on electric eel L connections

Hi guys,

I just bought a used eel model C and new 1.25 10 foot electric eel cables along with the spanner wrench.

I am having the worst time trying to separate the cable connections, is there a secret to doing this? The cables are brand new but I am a bit confused about how the spanner wrench is suppose to work.

I am assuming you use it to push down the button then twist to separate the cables? Is the button suppose to stay depressed or do you have to hold it inn with the wrench while you twist to separate the two cable sections?

as always thanks in advance for your help.

harvey
    Last edited by harveymasons; 06-24-2009, 01:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Re: question on electric eel L connections

spring loaded button has to be depressed to rotate. also it helps if there is no tension on the cables.

the g connector solved the tension problem as found on some of the general cables.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

thx for the reply Rick. When you say no tension should be on the cables, I may need to push in on the two cables to release any tension?

Also, is that button suppose to stay depressed when you press it down, or do you need to kinda press it down and turn at the same time?

thx again,
      harvey

Comment

No tension as in torque.
        Press it down and turn at the same time.

They will get easier once they are worn a bit.
        Also, keeping the button oiled well helps.(WD-40 or whatever)

I use a screw driver. It requires me to stand on one cable and twist the other.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Make sure when you are using the key you are applying the force in the right direction. Put the key in, depress the pin and use the key to twist the cable while holding the other the connecting cable in your other hand. Once you get it its easy.

Comment

thx to all who replied, i figured it out. just a bit akward at first.

I have the utmost respect for all you guys, Gene, Rick and everyone else who do drain cleaning for a living. Those 1.25 inch cables are no joke and the equipment can be deadly if not used properly.

I was amazed that 5 of those 10 foot cables fit in the electric eel carrier, buty once you coil them up, sure enough they all fit. For those who use the elecrtric eel cable carrier to you keep the cables connected or unconnected??

as always thx in advance,
            harvey

Comment

When we used the carriers we would load them not connected. When using the cables you will run one in at a time unless you are able to push/slide them in. So why disconnect them from the carrier to reconnect them to the machine to run them in. Did you get a drill adaptor incase you can't get the model C in somewhere?

Comment

i Actually did buy the drill, shaft and adapter as well. If I was going to try to use the drill I would imagine I need to cut the shaft in half if not more, how mcuh do you guys cut the shaft for the drill? I think the shaft is way too long the way it come no?

I am hoping I don't need to ever go the drill route. Rick has basically scared me into not going forward with the drill method although I had already ordered the parts and then I came across a used model C for 200 bucks so I took the plunge.

Machine seems pretty solid so lets hope the drill won't be needed but in an emergency I have it but I just can't see using it was that shaft, it must be about 10 inches or so.

thx again,
                harvey

Comment

Leave the shaft long, as it wears in the drill chuck you can cut the bad spot and have a clean shaft to tighten on. Don't be afraid of using the drill just listen to it and feel it. If you don't have them get a few 4 foot cables this way you can work close to the entry point. You will feel the drill start to tension or wind up that's when you let up or pull back. We use drill method every day.

Comment

What is the best drill for the the job?

Comment

Originally posted by coldbluff View Post
                      i prefer the dewalt/ black and decker timberwolf. it has a clutch and is a right angle design that allows me to rest it against my hip.

tried my milwaukee hole hawg and didn't like it.

a d- handle drill is a 2 hand drill and too awkward.

be sure to use slow speed 300 rpm. listen and react. don't allow slack if there's tension.

remember that the drill was never designed to run these cables. with the drill, the operator is in the line of fire for getting hurt

definitely not an approved or safe way of drain cleaning.
                      we do it because we know the risk and we know the method.
                      i don't suggest this for non pros

typically i encourage people for doing it yourself. this is where i discourage and warn people not to.

just be careful and remember i warned everyone

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by harveymasons View Post
                        i Actually did buy the drill, shaft and adapter as well. If I was going to try to use the drill I would imagine I need to cut the shaft in half if not more, how mcuh do you guys cut the shaft for the drill? I think the shaft is way too long the way it come no?

I am hoping I don't need to ever go the drill route. Rick has basically scared me into not going forward with the drill method although I had already ordered the parts and then I came across a used model C for 200 bucks so I took the plunge.

Machine seems pretty solid so lets hope the drill won't be needed but in an emergency I have it but I just can't see using it was that shaft, it must be about 10 inches or so.

thx again,
                        harvey
                        Do you have a part number for the drill adaptor, and the cost. Thanks David

Comment

I already had some 1 1/4 electric eel cable and recently bought some general 1 1/4. The general is a much tighter wind. and looks to be tougher.

I had a machinists make my shaft adapter. He said he could make them for 20-30 if enough people wanted them. If enough people want one, pm me and we'll see what we can do.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Here the cable and the drill adapter. You still need to buy the cable adapter. The part number is "5/8 L-CDC" for the eel cable or "5/8 G-CDC" for the G connector. My L-CDC cost 19.55 plus shipping from the cable center.
                            Attached Files
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by coldbluff View Post

EDITH
                              RIGID Model R7120, 7.5 amp, 1/2"
                              Attached Files
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                              X