X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New restaurant Old Pipes

Got a call today from a new restaurant (Grand Opening Today) Its in an old remodeled building, the problem is the sewer is backed up none of the toilets will flush, comes up in the floor drain, there are no cleanouts so I pull a toilet and try and snake it, Back 2 back toilets snake came up into mens bathroom toilet, (Didnt break it thankfully) so then I tried the roof vents,there is not a 3-4 inch vent and there is 5 2'' vents, so i figure lets try a vent could not get a snake (Small snake 3/8 cable) to make the bend at the bottom of the vent (and I tried every one of the 5) , so here sits this poor owner of his new restaurant on his grand opening and a clogged lateral with no way to unclog it, I could only charge the guy a service call, What would you have done ?

Re: New restaurant Old Pipes

First I see if there where more ladies water closets than men's water closets. 9-% of the time you pull the odd water closet in the ladies room, and all is good. If no then ask for plans, see if someone tiled or drywalled over a clean out somewhere. Also could try jetting from the 2" stacks on the roof.

I had one where the roof was not an option, rodding from the pulled water closets got no where, back to back , same with the floor drains. Also equal number of water closets in the mens and ladies rooms so pulling the odd water closet was not an option either. So I took the trap off the lavatory sink and ran my k-50 down the line to just get the line flowing once again. Once I did that I was able to pull a W/C and use the a string and my camera to make the turn in the double wye combo to see if I can locate an in floor clean out.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

There were no plans as all the remodels have been done by a do it yourselfer, and I was able to get a 1/4 inch cable through a floor trap and out around 15 feet, then I hit something and twisted a big kink in my new cable.

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
        There were no plans as all the remodels have been done by a do it yourselfer, and I was able to get a 1/4 inch cable through a floor trap and out around 15 feet, then I hit something and twisted a big kink in my new cable.
        See I use the 5/8" cable through the lav sink since I am able to see where the drop is in the wall and I do carry 75' of 5/8 cable. Other alternative is convince him he needs to install a proper clean out, which he needs even if you did manage to get the line open.

Comment

I think Ratz idea about the odd toilet is the best one. My other alternative is to go through the 2" vent with the 7/8 cable and a bent spiral head. Later on come back and install a C/O and cable with full size cutter.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

would you guys have billed the owner for all the work that was tried, even though I could not open the line, or just a service call ?
            UI understand improper plumbing was not my fault but I felt bad for the guuy so I only billed him a service call

Comment

If you're an employee then you have to follow company policy. If it's your business, then I wouldn't have charged him as long as I got the work to install the C/C.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

K-50 with 5/8" to get things flowing then the pressures off while you figure the rest out.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I would of given him the bill for my time. It is not our fault for improper plumbing.

Comment

K-60 using the 7/8" cable through the floor drain.

Charge full labor

Get in, get out asap. No one wants to see the plumber in the restaurant

Comment

I say bill it all if there is no proper clean out. When he bought the place he should have had the plumbing inspected and repaired if necessary. Seems like the health dept would want to see things brought to code prior to opening.

Comment

I like to run my business as a business, that's a lot of time you have invested, your time is not free and you must be able to pay bills and buy food.
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Back to back pull them both, push a section (or whatever you have) in, to direct your cable down the mainline to clear the clog, works best with 2 people but can be done by yourself. But I bet this job has some weird clog like plaster or something in the drain.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Did you check to see if there was a grease trap in the parking lot that was also backing up? If there was and it was backing up then the blockage would have been out further so you could have cabled from a grease trap cleanout or thru the tank outlet. Only if it was backing up too.
                            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              K-60 using the 7/8" cable through the floor drain.

Charge full labor

Get in, get out asap. No one wants to see the plumber in the restaurant
                              bill, the one time i accidently got my 7/8'' into a 2'' line with a trap was not fun to get it out.

it was a roof drain and i assumed it was 3'' or larger

cleared it to find out it was a 2'' line with a trap

don't know how i got the 7/8'' auger with couplings past the trap, but i couldn't get it back out

the 5/8'' i do all the time for showers and laundry traps.

as far as billing. i try to explain my charge for the time i will spend attempting to find a proper access point. usually i know when to say no.

i too would have not billed him for all my time either if i couldn't get it.

i too had a similar job today that was almost a wasted trip. see my new thread on painting or plumbing

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X