X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 FEET - Thats a personal best.

I pulled this out of a 4 inch storm drain this morning. The roots came from three palm trees that the thin wall pipe runs right under. The roots were climbing up the gutter drain. 8 Feet of it came out in short pieces. The longest in tact piece is 10 feet long. Main roots 1/4" to 3/8" diameter. It drains great now.

The problem is root intrusion so there was no point in doing a video inspection to figure out what or where the problem is. Customer wants me to come back in 6 months even though I suggested one year, to rerun the line. They did not want to break concrete next to pool and remove the trees at this time. I also suggested rerouting to the front yard to drain it to the street which will be easier and cheaper (yard dig). Right now it drains to a servitude behind the pool. They will reassess the situation later.

11/16 cable in reel, 3" pear shaped blades and whip attachment. 2.5 hours labor.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Re: 18 FEET - Thats a personal best.

Nice catch!
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

What kind of machine did you use ? A gorlitz ? David

Comment

Great job Lenny, very nice. How far out were you? Could you post a pic of your c cutter/whip attachment?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by rooterboy View Post
          What kind of machine did you use ? A gorlitz ? David
          Yes, GO68.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Great job Lenny, very nice. How far out were you? Could you post a pic of your c cutter/whip attachment?
          The line is about 50 feet long total from where you see in the picture to a large catch basin behind the pool. Roots are coming in within the first twenty feet (at least) growing toward where I was running the cable.

The 90 you see actually was rolled up at a 45 degree angle towards the bricks where a gutter dumps into it. The 90 was not glued so I turned it upward to run the cable easier.

The roots had grown passed the 90 and climbed up the gutter two feet. When it rained water would spit out of the downspout joints.

I will post pics of the attachments in the next day or two after I take the pics.

Lenny

Comment

thin wall unglued pipe, also know as styrene out here is junk. we see it all the time around pool and deck patios.

people spend thousands on the fancy concrete that covers this junk and saved 20 cents a foot using this junk pipe and fittings.

problem with area drain are they don't bother calling for service until they're flooded out years too late. unlike a sewer with real pipe and fittings, they call as soon as the drain is slow.

good pull, but 10' was the longest intact

you have to pull it back intact or it doesn't count.

1/2 a fish still in the jaws of a shark is impressive, but the shark took your prize fish

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Other than DanLawrence (for obvious bias) would anyone recommend rootx in ths application.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                Other than DanLawrence (for obvious bias) would anyone recommend rootx in ths application.
                I might not even recommend it. That is a very bad root problem if Rick is right:

"thin wall unglued pipe, also know as styrene out here is junk. we see it all the time around pool and deck patios." Plumber Rick

Then that needs to be repaired or replaced. I am not saying RootX won't work but if it is really bad where the pipe is unglued or separated that much to allow that mass of roots I wouldn't be a 100% sure on this one.

What we have noticed is that RootX will kill the roots but extreme cases like this the roots where supporting the soil so when the roots are gone the dirt caves in and then your up a creek. You have there about.50" to .75" of roots that's a large opening in the pipe. Weather you use RootX or not it may still need some repair. Cutting those roots and leaving them will just cause them to grow back stronger and in a year that pipe will have several feet of roots growing back bigger and stronger then before. On this job I would offer a more perminant solution to fix it. If they can't afford it or declined then give them option two of using RootX but I wouldn't personal offer them the one yr guarentee because it won't be likley that roots are causing the clog but dirt the next time.

Comment

Sorry I gave you my two cents anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

1/2 a fish still in the jaws of a shark is impressive, but the shark took your prize fish

rick.
                    You just can't let the man be happy can you?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

rick.
                      Geez Killjoy, I should have braided the pieces together and claimed an 18 footer. I charged by the hour though.

I see your point, I've never seen a guy standing next to one half of a prize fish he caught.

Been hot and dry for the past couple weeks, I pulled out roots from three lines this past week. Today I pulled out a three footer, or a two footer and change by Ricks standards.

Yes this pipe is total trash. No doubt installed by the landscaper or pool installer. Any plumber I've ever met would be embarrassed to install this crap. I'm sure the landscaper gave a better price.

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                      I might not even recommend it. That is a very bad root problem if Rick is right:

"thin wall unglued pipe, also know as styrene out here is junk. we see it all the time around pool and deck patios." Plumber Rick

Then that needs to be repaired or replaced. I am not saying RootX won't work but if it is really bad where the pipe is unglued or separated that much to allow that mass of roots I wouldn't be a 100% sure on this one.

What we have noticed is that RootX will kill the roots but extreme cases like this the roots where supporting the soil so when the roots are gone the dirt caves in and then your up a creek. You have there about.50" to .75" of roots that's a large opening in the pipe. Weather you use RootX or not it may still need some repair. Cutting those roots and leaving them will just cause them to grow back stronger and in a year that pipe will have several feet of roots growing back bigger and stronger then before. On this job I would offer a more perminant solution to fix it. If they can't afford it or declined then give them option two of using RootX but I wouldn't personal offer them the one yr guarentee because it won't be likley that roots are causing the clog but dirt the next time.
                      If I recommended chemicals I wouldnt have bothered here. I stressed to them the need for replacement.

I have not jumped on the chemical bandwagon yet. I spent the first 5 or 6 years telling customers that if chemicals worked I wouldnt have a job. Then the company I worked for at the time went to some seminar that taught them how to squeeze every last penny out of each customer. Soon after we started selling some emulcifier crap that was blue, smelled like and probably was windex. I felt like such an arse selling it so I didnt and was always the lowest on the humiliation sales chart they used at the end of each week.

Customers must wonder why a company would sell a chemical that would put them out of business if effective. Of course the "windex" they sell ends up getting used once and spends the rest of its life collecting dust under the sink.

I realize rootx is a different animal and by all accounts is effective. I just havent gotten on board yet. I recommend enzymes which I've heard works well if applied properly which of course it never is.

Lenny

Comment

I agree completely that this line needs to be replaced. Once the pipe is compromised then no form of root control will be effective.
                        Even when the roots are dead you have gaping hole that just invites regrowth.

Comment

Is there any possibility of Re-lining this line, I know you said that you did not camera it, but if there are not huge offsets then a reline may be cheaper than tearing up the concrete and replacing.

Michael

Comment

thin wall unglued pipe, also know as styrene out here is junk. we see it all the time around pool and deck patios.

people spend thousands on the fancy concrete that covers this junk and saved 20 cents a foot using this junk pipe and fittings.

problem with area drain are they don't bother calling for service until they're flooded out years too late. unlike a sewer with real pipe and fittings, they call as soon as the drain is slow.

rick.
                            It's a good thing I like you.
                            Can you posibly read your own posts and see the swollen cranium properties?

Comment

Originally posted by pioneer1 View Post
                              Is there any possibility of Re-lining this line, I know you said that you did not camera it, but if there are not huge offsets then a reline may be cheaper than tearing up the concrete and replacing.

Michael
                              I'm not aware of any company here that does relining and I'm not familiar enough with the process to know. I've read only a little about relining.

I told them the best bet is to run a new line to the front and drain it to the curb. The property is high enough and its all yard dig. Avoiding concrete altogether.\

As I understand it, a relining is only as good as the pipe you're relining. This pipe is too thin to trust. Better to start from scratch. IMO.
                              Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 07-04-2009, 10:52 PM.

Lenny

Comment

Working...
                              X