X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting or plumbing?

so today joey and i are at our local hardware store helping out. my phone rings with a drop everything emergency

joey didn't even have her key to get back into the house so i made a duplicate and gave her my original

the owner of 1 of a 20 unit townhouse complex was flooding from his ground floor powder room toilet. he couldn't control the water and called the management co. for a plumber. they couldn't get a hold of the 2 on their list. in the mean time he called the fire dept. and the city sanitation for help.

turns out it's a stoppage affecting 6 units in the complex and only 1 other person was home. after looking in both units that were home, and outside for a cleanout and found nothing.

19 year old building, slab on grade and not 1 cleanout to be found did i want to pull the toilet with 6 units backed up? no. was the roof an option? not a 3 story ladder access
    so i remove the sink trap and run my mini seesnake through the 1.5'' line out to 52' and stopped . all the time i'm under water and all i was doing was to locate the sewer main and get an idea where it is.

marked it at the sidewalk and pulled back to the building at 37' and marked it there too. problem is the line was 5'7''-5'11'' deep

but as i looked for a possible buried c/o, i found a damp spot in the planter. as i dug i hit the broken off c/o 6'' below the ground and full of dirt and roots.

used my 1.25'' cable with timberwolf to clear the stoppage 18' in. re camered the line to 47' at the city saddle in the middle of the street.

so in the 19 years the building has been around, they have not had a main line stoppage in this 6 unit block.

i guess i got lucky and so did the customer.

so where does painting fit into this story

i was planning to paint my wrought iron fencing at the shop today. i had pressure washed it yesterday.

i'm never a fan of painting, but i guess i found a good excuse to pass it up today.

and joey got home and i still took her out to a rib dinner

rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-29-2009, 03:20 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Painting or plumbing?

Interesting post. i was wondering how you bill this out. You cleared out a main line for a customer, who is part of a homeowners association. Than you use your camera to locate the line than you dig up a 6" cleanout. and snake the drain. Than did you repair the cleanout ? Thanks David

Comment

Cool story Rick.....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Awesome story, as I said before You guys never cease to amaze me!! I have alot of respect for you guys. How did you know where to look for the C/O rick?

I have a few investment properties and would love to have someone like you to be able to call in an emergency. Do you know of anyone in the Nj area who you could reccommend rick?

thx,
        harvey
        Last edited by harveymasons; 06-29-2009, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Your vast experience is priceless ! Not a lot of folks would have seen the tell tale signs of that lost C.O.
          I remember You helped Me repair My lateral about 7 years ago, on this site. Sorry I won't meet You and others at the roundup this Year, Never met You ,but I do consider You and Adam friends.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

tool, i do plan on cashing in on my steaks before they turn into beef jerky

we will be flying overhead in a couple days on our way to oregon. look up.

i'll surprise you 1 day and pop in when i get hungry

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by rooterboy View Post
              Interesting post. i was wondering how you bill this out. You cleared out a main line for a customer, who is part of a homeowners association. Than you use your camera to locate the line than you dig up a 6" cleanout. and snake the drain. Than did you repair the cleanout ? Thanks David
              pretty simple.

the homeowner is part of a 20 unit complex. he had first called the management co. who attempted to get 2 different plumbers from their list to respond. they didn't so the management gave him the ok to call his own plumber/ me

turns out that i have billed the management co for work on other projects.

talked to the property manager today and they will put me on the vendor list for future work

as far as billing. it's a common area problem that affected his unit along with possibly up to 5 others. the stoppage was in a common area and the home owners association pays for my work along with the water damage to his unit.

i was able to clear the line and also expose the broken c/o pipe. i added a yard box to keep it exposed and am planning on jetting the 6'' line when they approve the work, along with a proper repair to the pipe. remember that on sunday, the object was to take care of the immediate emergency. anything else can wait until they get approval for the work.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick for taking the time to expalin the billing. David

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  tool, i do plan on cashing in on my steaks before they turn into beef jerky

we will be flying overhead in a couple days on our way to oregon. look up.

i'll surprise you 1 day and pop in when i get hungry

rick.
                  It'll happen some day. Say hi to Coos bay for Me. Named after the Coos Indians
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by rooterboy View Post

I was wondering if you fixed the clean out as well but that makes sense that you have to get approved for the repair.
                    Nice find on the c/o

Comment

finally got around to downloading the photos of the buried c/o. remember that it was never raised and the line was full of waster water so trying to see it with the camera was not happening.

just got lucky to find anything less than 5'7'' deep.

pictured is the light well next to it.

rick.

yellow shovel is where it was located.

the ground was dry except for a small damp spot prior to digging. the pipe was full of roots and dirt as there was no cap.

without a seesnake, joey would still be waiting for me to take her out to dinner
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Yes but ever one is just dieing to know if you ever got the fence painted?
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                          Yes but ever one is just dieing to know if you ever got the fence painted?
                          not yet, but i have all the paint and supplies to get it done in july

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick you are the MAN.
                            Cheers
                            greg

Comment

Good for you, Rick. You are Ridgid's version of a reality show.

Comment

Working...
                              X