Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet drill for sectional cable, or junk??

I already bought a hitachi d13 1/2 inch drill only 6.2 amp but i just came across this 10 amp variable speed drill from harbor freight for only 45 bucks???? why so cheap?

probably not the greatest but if you got 6 months to a year out of it at that price probably worth it even just as a backup right?

check it out, what do you guys think??

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47991

Re: sweet drill for sectional cable, or junk??

It's guaranteed for the life of the drill!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Looks like a wristbreaker irregardless of quality.

J.C.

Comment

the d handle design is not a good choice as you will need both hands to operate the drill.

the variable speed 0-850 without an adjusting screw will get you in trouble.

i've tried plenty of heavy duty drills and found the timberwolf to be the best one for the application.

it's got the right balance, speed and shape.

the milwaukee holw hawg and super hawg just don't feel right.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Just a little note. The Black & Decker TimberWolf has been replaced by the DeWalt DW124 which is very similar to it. They are GRRRRRREEEAT heavy duty right angle drills. Please see picture and click it to make it bigger.
          Attached Files

Comment

do you like your teeth? do you like your arms? do you like the rest of your body? if you don't does someone else? get the drill that rick and woussko recommend. dw124 has a clutch. i say dw124 has a clutch. the clutch is the nut. i,m actually buying a 124 and selling my hole hawg on ebay. i don't plan to use it on sewer cables, i just like the idea of the clutch. as for harbor freight well it's kind of expensive for a boat anchor. breid

Comment

I was just amazed that you can get a 10 amp drill for 45 bucks. I Was thinking even as a spare in case your timberwolf or go to drill blew out in the middle of a job.

But point taken, this is not the drill for turning sectional cable.

As always thanks for the opinions and tips guys.

regards,
              harvey

Comment

My timberwolf must be 10 years old. Can't kill it ,great tool!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We used to run this type of drill sawzall style. We switched to the hole hog and liked it better. It's more comfortable to hold on to being your hands are spread across a wider area.

Comment

Thanks !
                    For this information !

Comment

breid1903 and others

If you're planning on using it to drill holes you might also want to check out the new DeWalt DWD460 which has some nice new features. Please remember this is a long term investment for most people so spending some extra $$$ now may well pay off over the long haul. This drill has more advanced safety than the older DW124 and it has veriable speed which is handy for starting holes. If you would want it as a power unit or for cable work then I would stay with the DW124 and DW124K (K = kit with case) If the $$$ for new seems too high, do check prices at several tool dealers and also consider buying a factory reconditioned tool.
                      http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=19152

Comment

I own the Super Hawg(Milwaukee). It also has a clutch in the low speed setting. It works great and is safer than you might think looking at it. It is a handfull to carry up and use on a ladder or overhead. Doesn't look all that different from DeWalts Timberwolf. I have yet to hook a sewer cable up to it.. I'd give the Timberwolf a try, but unless it's substantially more comfortable, it's going to take many years to kill the Hawg..

Comment

I've tried the Dewalt Timberwolf a few times but I prefer the SuperHawg only because of the rotating handle. This makes all the difference when drilling in tight corners. I guess for running a sectional cable it wouldn't matter.

Comment

I use a milwaukee hole hawg to drill holes with, it's a beast and just doesn't give up. not something i'd want to drive a cable with, especially if it's a place where I can't brace the drill against something more solid than I am. I'd think that advice would go well for any clutchless drill.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                            X