Electric Eel cable and a Drill motor.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Eel cable and a Drill motor.

I haven't used the Electric Eel cable yet. I haven't ran any cable with a drill motor. I remember running a drum machine and it is in a blockage and starts building up tension when you let off on the motor the drum spins really fast back-wards. When I used my K-50 with the open wound cable and it was in a blockage it would not clear the cable built up a lot of tension and when I released it with the chuck it spinned back-wards in the machine. I don't remember the 7/8th cable for the k 60 building up tension and running back-wards. Is this a concern with the drill motor and the 1 1/4" inner core cable ? David

Re: Electric Eel cable and a Drill motor.

When using a drill you have to pay attention to the sounds and feel of it. You will hear the drill start to labor just as a drum machine when you start to tighten up the cable. The drill may also start to move slightly in your hands. The biggest thing to remember is you are the anchor for the drill if you wind it up to much the energy has to go somewhere. If you let go of the switch/trigger with tension on the cable it will spin backwards to relieve the tension. Don't start the drill until the cable has come to rest. If you start the drill with the cable going in the opposite direction the drill could be pulled from your hands. As you come to a blockage try to work the cable in and out as the tension builds. You will feel the cable free up as you eat away at the blockage then go back for more. Another thing to remember is your distance from the point of entry. If you are using 8 or 10 foot sections and you have 3/4 of the cable out side the entry and hit a blockage there is no way you will be able to safely work it. The cable will coil up outside and possibly hurt you. Get a 4 foot section so you can work close to the point of entry.

Comment

Re: Electric Eel cable and a Drill motor.

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
      When using a drill you have to pay attention to the sounds and feel of it. You will hear the drill start to labor just as a drum machine when you start to tighten up the cable. The drill may also start to move slightly in your hands. The biggest thing to remember is you are the anchor for the drill if you wind it up to much the energy has to go somewhere. If you let go of the switch/trigger with tension on the cable it will spin backwards to relieve the tension. Don't start the drill until the cable has come to rest. If you start the drill with the cable going in the opposite direction the drill could be pulled from your hands. As you come to a blockage try to work the cable in and out as the tension builds. You will feel the cable free up as you eat away at the blockage then go back for more. Another thing to remember is your distance from the point of entry. If you are using 8 or 10 foot sections and you have 3/4 of the cable out side the entry and hit a blockage there is no way you will be able to safely work it. The cable will coil up outside and possibly hurt you. Get a 4 foot section so you can work close to the point of entry.

Thanks for a detailed explaination. I need to order a 4' section. David

Comment

Working...
      X